5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Gove should make this book a priority., 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: An Ethic of Excellence: Building a Culture of Craftsmanship with Students (Paperback)
A thoroughly inspirational read. If all educators could work in this way our young people would be desperate to go to school and we would really be creating independent, creative and dynamic citizens of the future. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A seminal work, 3 Aug 2011
David Jackson (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
It is difficult to overstate the potential significance of this little book to the education of young people. It represents a paradigm-shift in terms of beliefs and practices about what can be achieved in terms of quality of work by all students. Its alluring charm is its simplicity and self-evident authenticity; its warmth and generosity; its conviction and passion for student success. Having visited schools in the states that have modelled their practices on Ron Berger's approaches, I have seen levels of student engagement, achievement and self-esteem beyond anything I thought possible in mainstream schooling systems. Those involved in running our schools should take note; those who work in them, who really care about students, should devour this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transformational and refreshing, 14 Mar 2014
This book kept me up until 1am on a school night, and when I woke up I was so reinvigorated by the ideas and honesty in the book that I felt like I had slept for my 8 healthy hours!

Ron Berger is a teacher, and is talking about 1st hand experience and a lifetime of commitment to the ideas, which have been tried tested and shown to work in the best way.

For all those who have a hangover from reading about lovely theories on education with no practical purpose, this is the Alka-Seltzer.

I have shared this with colleagues, changed the way I talk to classes, changed the curriculum models for our assessment procedures and taken whole year groups out of the normal timetable to work through some of these ideas.

I plan on re-reading it soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars All educators must read this book, 22 Jun 2013
Written by a teacher who genuinely loves what he does and has a passion for quality work. I wish I read this book 7 years ago at the start of my career. However, it has given my values of eduction and teaching a reboot. Ron Berger and project based learning has reinvigorated by passion for teaching and my role as a designer of excellent learning through authentic student projects. I'm @travelgeordie on twitter.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about education... EVER!, 18 Oct 2012
Ron's book, for me, is the most important book I've ever read. It's inspired me to do many things, and to do them right. As a parent, as a teacher, as a system designer, this little book has gold on every page. I love the way it's written almost as anecdotes, to generate an authenticity to the actual point he's making. It's quite simply stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and inspiring, 8 April 2013
Thoroughly recommend this to anyone wanting to revamp and develop their teaching. It is either a A or Not done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy some Berger, 20 Nov 2012
Alex Quigley (UK) - See all my reviews
This man is an inspiration to educators. Too little known perhaps, his prose is as artfully crafted as his philosophy. Lots of practical stuff, with a deeply rich philosophy at underpins his ideas. You will become a Berger convert and will want others to do the same - buy it and see!

An Ethic of Excellence: Building a Culture of Craftsmanship with Students