5.0 out of 5 stars The lifesaver for understanding immunology!
Published on 30 Oct 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Too diluted
This book is a bad study aid for immunology. It doesn't go into much detail about the essentials like complement... but randomly goes into detail about stuff which wouldn't concern a beginner. The book jumps about so much at times which makes it hard to follow.
Published 14 months ago by meep

5.0 out of 5 stars The lifesaver for understanding immunology!, 30 Oct 2003
By A Customer
I'm a first year medic and have spent ages in my uni library looking for an immunology textbook which is comprehensive and detailed, but at the same time explains things in a clear and consise manner. Well, this is the one that gets my vote! Also recommended to me by my lecturers, this book is a lifesaver when it comes to understanding immunology! It's great as it splits the broad subject of immunology into five sections, with great colour diagrams to aid learning. Throughout each chapter it highlights bits of info which are linked to clinical medicine, and also provides a summary at the end of each chapter which recaps the major concepts. An enjoyable, interesting and useful read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Concise and well-structured text, 21 Jun 2004
By A Customer
This is generously illustrated, in full colour throughout, with well drawn cartoons helpful to understanding. One of the principle attractions has to be the concise, well structured text, with neatly divided chapter structures greatly improving readability over more comprehensive alternatives. The 'for medical students' refers to the authors efforts to maintain clinical relevance throughout and to assist in an understanding of how the basic immunological components and concepts fit into the bigger picture of a varied and adaptable defence system. This they have achieved through the use of multiple clinical 'boxed texts' and through the inclusion of helpful summary chapters that build on the material introduced in the previous sections. What the name does not refer to is any reduction of content, which is as detailed as any medical undergraduate will ever need!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too diluted, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Immunology for Medical Students: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 2e (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book helped my degree, 15 May 2013
Was a good book that helped with my degree, I have added it to my library and I reference it regularly in my reading and research.

5.0 out of 5 stars immunology review, 24 Jan 2010
The book is really what I needed for my microbial disease and Immunology module. Really helpful and compact. arrived in good time. I would definately recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good study aid to accompany lectures, 2 Nov 2009
Mr. Darren Price "Sproket" (County Durham UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a 2nd year medical student and this book is a good aid to use alongside with lectures it is one of the recommended texts at my medical school. The diagrams make the topics easy to understand and it is wrote in a logical manner.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very hard to understand immunology book, 30 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This book is very hard to follow unless you know immunology inside out already. One of the main problems with this book is that it tries to explain the different aspects of the immune system in such a complicated and convoluted ways that it's pretty much impossible to understand let alone learn from. Instead of explaining the processes in a logical way it jumps around between the adaptive and innate immune system all the way through the book.
I'm in my third year now and have been studying immunology in since my first year and still find this book a total pain to work from as I’m sure the answers are in this book somewhere in this book but it's written in such a annoying way that you start to loose the will to live before you've even started! Even my lecturers agree that it's not user friendly.
It general appearance isn't bad and it does have some good pictures, however descriptions along side them are often unclear and misleading.
This book is probably great for immunology professors but for us students you might as well use is as a door stop!

Immunology for Medical Students: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 2e
Immunology for Medical Students: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 2e by Matthew Helbert FRCP FRCPath PhD (Paperback - 28 Feb 2007)