5.0 out of 5 stars Every web designer should read this
I read the first edition of this book many years ago and it completely transformed my understanding of web design.

Before I read this book I knew of two elements to building web pages; The code, and the graphics. After I read it I knew of a third, the user experience.

Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice presentation, weak content
Although very well presented on quality paper, this book could easily be summarized in a dozen pages without losing any important recommendation.

Published 6 days ago by Mr. J. Chereau

5.0 out of 5 stars Every web designer should read this, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability (Voices That Matter) (Paperback)

Put in simple terms this book helps you to understand what a visitor to your site wants, and helps you to give it to them. When we search on the web, we expect the information we want to just be there, we don't want to figure out navigation, read hundreds of words or work anything out. This book gives the designer the best chance at getting as close to this experience as possible for as many people as possible.

If you are a web designer looking to be better or just starting out looking to learn the ropes, buy this book. Oh and save yourself a lot of hassle and buy these too:

Don't make me think - Usability and user experience
Webs of influence - Psychology of presentation
100 things every designer needs to know about people - More psychology
Letting go of the words - Organising information, content strategy, how to be succinct
HTML 5 in easy steps - The code for structuring your web sites
CSS3 in easy steps - Presenting that code with style
Javascript in easy steps - Making interactive things happen

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice presentation, weak content, 12 Sep 2014
Mr. J. Chereau "jlchereau" (London, UK) - See all my reviews

In three points: (i) display your content hierarchically (make key information stand out), (ii) make possible user interactions obvious and, (iii) get user feedback early in the development process. This is a bit weak to justify a £20 book in my opinion.

After 20 years of Internet, not all web sites are now made of pages, menus and links. We now have web applications like online games, web office automation (Google Gmail and Docs) and stock trading sites which have very complex UI.

This book does not even scratch the surface regarding forms, feedback about errors, UI design patterns and complex widgets (treeviews, paginated grids, popup windows, interactive charts, shopping carts, ad display, social widgets, ...).

The new chapter about mobile devices is a joke (screen real estate = compromise, thank you for such invaluable insight). Common sense is not always obvious and trivial. Promising and disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!! Short, To The Point.. perfect for anyone who hasn't got time to read!, 22 July 2014
The writing style is excellent, very easy and personable. I have never read anything by Steve Krug before but he is my style, and i find this book an impeccable resource as i am involved in ecommerce projects.

I really like the short snappy quotes and musings he uses.. top work and best of all, its a short read!!! Like the man says in the book, if it looks like its going to be hard work, people will ignore it - you certainly will not ignore this book i promise you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Jun 2014
One of the best books of UX you can find. And that was all I wanted to say :)

Yeah

4.0 out of 5 stars The clue's in the title, 7 May 2014
Some very useful points for web and mobile design.

One good point I got from it was it doesn't matter so much how many clicks a user has to do to get to a page/object, but rather the ease with which they get there. More easy clicks is better then fewer "thinky" clicks. Hence the title! Especially with mobile screens, which are constricted by how much you can put on them anyway, this is a simple point but well made.

There are others like this, and I'd recommend the book, but not gushingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 24 April 2014
Dr. K. Bain - See all my reviews
I agonised so long about buying this book or not that a new edition was out when I finally decided to buy it. I wished I had bought it earlier. Its a lot of common sense and really opened my eyes as to where I was going wrong on my website. The book does not offer step by step guides, just general principles so don't buy if you are looking for a blue print. The book could have done with more specific guidance of making a website mobile friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you hire a web designer and they don't have this book - don't use them..., 1 April 2014
Mr. James A. Robertson "Bryan Talbot fan" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This book is my absolute bible: I have all 3 editions and recommend it continually: and the people I loan it to end up buying 3 copies themselves: 1 to keep - 1 to give to the people who report to them and 1 to give to their manager.

It is the best argument and proof of why you need to make your website answer your customers concerns - and not your own: it shows how people just Do Not Care about your company - it's organisation, or anything else - except the task they came to your site to complete. If you distract them from that task or annoy them or make them think about something that is not their key task they will leave. And never return.

So: the single best acid test to find out if a web designer will create a site that will answer your customers requirements and help them accomplish their tasks is to ask if they have a copy of this book. If they don't - they might well create a pretty site... - but in my universal experience it will fail.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book in its area, 29 Mar 2014
In its third revision and updated and still as relevant today as it was when it was first penned now with new shiny pictures and a couple of new chapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written and clear, useful guide to web usability, 26 Mar 2014
I am both a mainly back-end software developer who sometimes works on web projects, and someone charged with developing a website for a community organisation. I am finding this book to be really useful and full of wise advice. I especially enjoyed the chapter on usability testing. I appreciate the way that Steve has brought the book up to date with new trends such as multi-platform development and responsive design. It's well worth the money as well as being an amusing read in many places.

4.0 out of 5 stars The title nails it!, 16 Mar 2014
I love the over all perspective on UX-design. An easy to read book - and still with a lot of thought provoking stuff on every page.
A very good primer on the subject. Read it if you work with UX (and who doesn't?).