5.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure...
but frankly I now adore this book.

Even though some could have called me an Arias fanboy, I was in two maybe even 5 minds whether to buy this book or not. I bit the bullet and frankly haven't looked back.

Published 18 months ago by Paul Hodgson

However, if like me you just want to improve your basic skills (not equipment knowledge and skills such as lights etc) then maybe look elsewhere.
Published 19 months ago by ken

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure..., 15 Aug. 2013
Paul Hodgson "www.bof.uk.com" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers. (Voices That Matter) (Paperback)
but frankly I now adore this book.

From start to finish the book is filled with nuggets that actually, even though are wrapped within the context of photography, many of the words that have been written resonate in all parts of life. Take some of Zack's words and apply it to whatever business you work within now, or family life or relationships as a larger whole, there's some great words of wisdom in this book.

The writing style frankly is like two blokes sitting in a pub with a healthy amount of tough love thrown on the table. It's not harsh but real and I for one like that. No sugar coated pills, not rose tinted glasses but truth as Zack sees his well travelled road. OK, that road may be different to yours but go read the book, write your review and let's read if it felt the same to you as it has to me.

Zack, I think you gave a whiff that you might be penning another book...on the basis of this one, can't wait.

As good as any book by my another of my fav writers, McNally...high praise indeed I hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite photography books. Period., 29 Jun. 2013
If you have followed Zack's blog or Tumblr site you probably know what to expect from this book. If not hold on to your hat for a no frills, "tell it like it is" guide to technique, equipment, the photography business in general and more. Zack is not afraid to call a spade a spade - no puppy dogs riding unicorns sliding down rainbows. By the end of the book you will realise that you have a lot to learn, a lot of work to do and it's not going to be easy. But more importantly you'll be fired up to grab your camera and go shoot.

This is not supposed to be a comprehensive photography course. If you don't already know an f-stop from a bus stop this book might not be for you. However if you have even a fairly basic knowledge of photography it's fantastic. More to the point if you are serious about perhaps turning pro or even semi-pro then I'd say it was an essential read. The book expands on questions/answers originally asked on his Tumblr site so even if you are a regular reader there's a load more information and examples of work/technique here for you.

I have read a LOT of photography books and this is the only one I have ever read cover to cover in one sitting.

Thoroughly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read and worth buying if you looking to sell your photographs, 8 Aug. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and good insight into the author's character more than a practical guide to photography., 10 Sept. 2014
I enjoyed reading this book. Amusing anecdotes, lots of information that is useful and the stuff that isn't of much use to me personally was still interesting to read. Don't buy it thinking you'll become a much better photographer, but it gives a reasonable insight into the author's character and issues he's encountered on his photographic journey. Some useful business info and how to deal with situations, but not so much on the practical side of shooting better images. I thought it was worth the money and I'll keep it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible book about being a photographer, 6 Sept. 2013
This book is just fantastic. They way Zack writes is thought provoking, informative and very entertaining! If you want to be a better photographer, by which I mean understand what good photography is about, then I highly recommend this book. As others have said, it doesn't go much into how to take photos, but it's foil of sage advice. An if you aren't familiar with Zack's work, go check him out. He is amazing. A photographers photographer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong, 10 Aug. 2013
Chris.h. "Chris.h." (Newcastle upon Tyne,England) - See all my reviews
Zack Arias, tells it like it is. He wont pussyfoot around. I have dreamed of being a full time pro photographer for a long time but I never get past being a hobbyist. This book helps tell me why, but also gives me important info on how to get a lot nearer. I particularly like the question regarding shooting bands and quarter,half, full day rates. Invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Answered all my questions about photography, 2 Oct. 2013
I am an amatuer photographer looking to go pro and I was struggling to find a book that would answer all my questions and thoughts about photography. This book answered all my questions and more! Brilliant read! Couldn't put it down! My knowledge has grown through reading this. Love it. Might have another read of it from start to finish again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now for yourself and your friends, 12 Dec. 2013
You need to know and love Zack and his works to enjoy the book. Explanations seem to be simplistic but they are straight to the point and without "gear fever". Practical advices. Excellent photoillustrations. Have a feeling I will be coming back to this book again and again. Just like with his DVDs.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good read., 17 Mar. 2014
This is a good read. It's about Zack, what he has done to get this far, his experiences about being/becoming a photographer and a bit about equipment. If you know the posts on his sites (zackarias.com and dedpxl.com) then you know what to expect. It isn't a mindblowing book, just a very pleasant book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insight into his mind!, 17 Jan. 2014
P. Crowley - See all my reviews
I like the book. Not a photography book per se. More a trials and tribulations of a photographer offering many inights for photographers looking to make a business of it or maybe even the more serious photographer who just wants to shoot for fun.

like Zacks work and an interesting read

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Photography Q&A: Real Questions. Real Answers. (Voices That Matter)