on 19 June 2013
I have to say I am very unhappy with the content of this book. The basics are all covered well enough (e.g., bringing in and editing clips) but the decisions on what features to emphasize and what to just skim over leaves me very puzzled. For example, there is a substantial amount of text devoted to audio. Great. On the other hand, there is just cursory coverage of using the color balancing features - an article recently on the Macworld website had more information! When it comes to sharing the final product only a few of the many options are discussed and even these are only discussed in a short fashion. The author recommends saving the master in ProRes format, even through this may be substantially larger in file size than the original footage. Why use this over H.264 (not even covered) for example? Why not use one of the other ProRes formats? I am sure there are reasons, and am equally sure the author knows them but it is not discussed in the appropriate section of the book.
on 14 August 2013
OK, I gave this book a poor review to start, see below, as I had major issues with the lesson files that I downloaded from Peachpit. I eventually got them sorted out with the help of a chap on the Apple Communities web site. Now that everything is working I can say that this book is quite clear in what its trying to teach. The book ties up really well with the lesson files and I have found it pretty easy to follow. Only got through lesson one so everything is looking rosy now.

I've left my previous review attached as it had a fix for the java error when you download the files using the Peachpit downloader

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Can't really say much about the content of the book as I haven't really got to go through it. The stumbling block for me is the lesson files that accompany the book. As you have probably read from the other reviews there are issues. Initially I had issues downloading the updated files from Peachpit. When I tried to use the download manager it threw a java error. This was fixed by following a suggested fix from Peachpit by locating Java in your System's Preferences and go to the Advanced tab. Make sure that Use SSL 2.0 Compatible ClientHello Format is checked

Once I got the file downloaded and followed the instructions for installing them nothing happened. No projects visible in FCP so cannot continue with the lessons. You would have thought the files would be checked before publication.

Shame, I was looking forward to getting to grips with this book. If I manage to find out how to resolve the problems I may alter the review to be a more positive one. I'm sure the book is very good but to fail with the lesson files pretty much at the beginning doesn't give much confidence.
on 26 April 2013
Although I had some experience in very basic editing, originally with Pinnacle and later with Adobe Premiere Elements, my foray into the now much less troubled Final Cut Pro X gave me some misgivings and a feeling that "help might be needed". In the event much of FCPX is intuitive if you have edited before but the finer points are much, much more elusive. This is particularly true for keyboard shortcuts. Now the book. For a beginner it is really very straightforward and the author has painstakingly made the instruction very easy to follow. Undoubtedly those with experience will find the early stages "skippable". An accompanying DVD whose content sits on the desktop contains 4 films, all of which are used as examples and for the reader to work with. It's a great formula in my view and my progress through the book, whilst not spectacular, is steady and, yes, my editing is improving nicely thank you.
on 16 April 2013
Good value - just wish there was a way of training without having to load masses of fils to the hard disk
on 21 July 2013
A very comprehensive and deeply detailed "how to" manual, that fully explores this amazing editing program. Although a lot of "quiet time" is needed to get the best from this book, it is time well spent to thoroughly delve into this video editing program.
on 1 January 2014
The author is a genius at setting out and teaching the subject. This is highly recommended. Thanks Diana keep up the good work.