Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 May 2013
I am coming from an EOS 30E, i.e. changing from film to digital and thought I could do with some advice how to use, e.g., Highlight tone priority, not only in the sense of how to switch it on, the manual does that, but with some explanation what it actually does and what effect it has on the files. I thought a book on the Canon 6D would deal with these kind of specialist issues, already as the book even says it is about going beyond the manual. I could have done with some advice maybe on HDR, etc., Some idea on noise reduction features, etc. would have been helpful too. Instead you get the usual 'how to freeze motion using Tv, how to blur background using Av, blah blah blah, which you would find in any book on how to use a simple camera. But why would someone who does not even know these basic things buy a 6D? Generally this feels like an introductory book which has been amended slightly to 'fit' one camera. If, for example, you look at the introduction to RAW and JPEG files, this has obviously not been written with the 6D in mind, while a little box has been added to adjust the topic.
I gave it two stars because it is quite well done for a basic introduction to digital photography.
on 1 October 2013
I upgraded myself to the EOS 6D and wanted a book to help me resist the urge to leave it stuck in Auto mode all the time. Specifically, I wanted something to help take good architecture shots and nice photos of my baby with a sharp portrait focus and blurry background. Those are, I know, pretty basic beginners' questions and I found this book addressed them nicely, helping me work out pretty quickly how to do that and then suggesting further refinements.
It doesn't cover every aspect of this complex camera's operation in detail - I struggled to get wifi networks set up consistently and haven't really worked out how to use the Live View shooting mode - but it does cover a lot of the basics well and was the ideal book for someone of my limited level of knowledge. I came back from my trip to Rome with hundreds of really pleasing photos, which is thanks to the camera (excellent) and this helpful guide.
on 26 December 2015
Whenever I have purchased a camera I always rely on snapshots to great shots to get me started, and the way it's laid out compared to other similar tutorial books is just much easier to follow! Highly recommend this book!
on 17 May 2016
Easy to understand guide to using Canon 6D.
on 13 January 2014
An excellent book, a simple manual how to make good pictures with D6 and An excellent book and use it to the fullest.