5.0 out of 5 stars Superb guide to visual note taking - not just for people who can already draw
Brief Review:

If you want a simple, helpful and supportive introduction into visual note-taking then buy this book. Highly recommended.

Longer Review:

This is a lovely book. I enjoyed reading it through first and then going back to it again and again to try out the exercises.

Like a lot of people, I've always been a bit of a...
Published 18 months ago by Andrew Lloyd Gordon

2.0 out of 5 stars Gimmicky
Personally did not appeal to me. Rather trivial content lacking in substance. Have read books on mind mapping far more useful, pertinent and relevant. Stylized to appeal to a certain audience. YMMV.
Published 4 months ago by Cmmdrdata

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tips and tools to make note taking better, 17 Jan 2013
Gupster (Wilts, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Note Taking (Paperback)
I've been doing some visual facilitation recently on whiteboards and flip charts and had begun using some of these techniques in my note taking. When I saw this book was going to be released I added it to my Christmas list. I am so glad I did.

It's a quick read, being light on words and high on imagery, as you'd expect from a title about visual note taking. It leads you through the process well and gives you some practical hands on tips and guides. Personally I'd like to have seen more of this, maybe making the book a little bigger with another chapter. It's for this reason I've give it 4/5, if it had more how-to bits I'd have given it 5/5; but it was a close call.

I went for the video edition, and I'm finding that useful as you can see Mike making his drawings and this helps with my understanding with this drawing process. While the videos are meant to be streaming, with a little IT know-how you can download the files for local viewing or putting on your ipad etc. Combined with the video podcasts Mike is doing this is helping me.

If you're interested in taking better notes, then I'd happily recommend this book. Since using it, I've had even more positive comments on my note takings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I love this book, 9 Jan 2013
This book is my kind of book. How do I know this? Because from the first words of the Introduction I was hooked; it was as if my own thoughts, frustrations and path towards working as a visual practitioner had been captured without me saying a word! As a visual practitioner I am familiar with many of the main points made by Mike about Sketchnoting, but this in no way detracts from the value of this book for me. Every page holds something new that I can learn; a combination of small pointers and big insights to help me to improve my own practice. The beauty of this book lies in what it looks and feels like, from the matt cover and rounded edges to the quality of the paper it's printed on and, the biggie, to what it says and how it says it - it simply models what is describes! I haven't found too many books that do this and, for me, that's what makes it stand out. Whether you are new to this way of working or, like me, a work in progress, I would highly recommend 'The Sketchnote Handbook'. Thank you Mike for a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm no artist, 8 Jan 2013
This book is beautiful! I'm not an artist and so as a coffee table book it works purely to flick through and admire. But the book is much more than this! The book invites you to give sketch noting a go. There are exercises and I have to say that the book gives you confidence to try some of the techniques.
If in doubt, doubt no more - BUY IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring......, 2 Jan 2013
If this book does not inspire you to Sketch note, then there is something wrong with you. Buy it and fly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Aug 2014
Nice book. It was as expected!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great and informative book, 13 Jan 2013
I'd seen Mike Rohde talking about sketchnoting on Twitter so followed him to find out more. I was very excited to learn the book was coming out soon.

I'm a "take copious notes and never read them again" kind of person. Frantically writing everything down, missing half the actual conversation or lecture and then looking back ages later (if at all) and wondering "why did I write that?"

Sketchnotes have enabled me to make better notes that I can recall easily, I'm a visual person so remember things by picturing the page words are written on etc. This is often difficult of impossible but so much easier when I can sketch something. Mike also talks about active listening which is something I needed to know.

I am no artist but this book enables you to create visuals without an art degree using simple shapes and ideas.

Initially I am practising my sketchnoting by watching TED talks and other presentations on YouTube.

1.0 out of 5 stars its difficult to read on a kindle app, 27 Feb 2014
I cant read this book on a Moto G
It wont download to my PC kind app
I can just about read it on my Nexus 4

The graphics and the format of the book make it virtually impossible to read.

If I could read the content I'd probably given it 5stars Buy the paper version

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't really see the point, 21 Aug 2013
There is no real content in this book. It says very little and demonstrates next to nothing. Read it and thought "what have learnt?". Answer - nothing. Waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total waste of money, 18 Jun 2013
This book is a total waste of money. There is nothing new or helpful in it. Doodles printed on nice paper for excessive money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›