5.0 out of 5 stars Another really practical guide to Elements from Scott Kelby
Published 24 months ago by A Common Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop Elements 11
Good book but seems to assume that the reader has already read earlier versions of the book picking up some basic information on Elements. I have enrolled on a Photoshop Elements course which has been helpful. Without this background the book might have been difficult to follow. The prelude to each section is rather irritating, American centric and of very little useful...
Published 24 months ago by Llanddwyn

5.0 out of 5 stars Another really practical guide to Elements from Scott Kelby, 21 Dec 2012
A Common Reader "Committed to reading" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (Paperback)
I've been using Elements for a very long time and have upgraded every year since version 4. I've also bought Scott Kelby's books from time to time, and usually find that they don't need the yearly upgrade because much of what he says applies to all versions. However as the version 11 of Elemenets is auch a major upgrade I decided to buy the latest volume of The Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers and I haven't been disappointed.

Incidentally I'm also a fan of Barbara Brundage's books, such as Photoshop Elements 11: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals) which is also a very worthwhile purchase. The difference is that while Brudage goes methodically through the whole software in great detail, Kelby does more of an overview of the software and then goes into some really practical things like "what to do with grey skies" or "how to make a photo-collage", "trendy desaturated skin look", "creating drama with a soft spotlight" and so on.

The section on the Organizer is quite important because the Organizer version 11 is very different to previous versions. While I though I'd understood all the changes the book made me understand what a powerful piece of software the new Organizer is for finding and cataloguing your photos. Some people don't use the Elements Organizer but I don't think they know what they're missing in the new Elements 11.

I very much appreciate the whole new section in this book which covers the concept of layers. I'm one of those people who's happy with using layers to a degree but I always feel I'm not going as far as I could with them. In Elements 11 we have a whole set of new tools for layers including a much better layer mask tools. I don't think I'd have got to grips with this concept without this book to help me along.

Elements 11 has at last sorted out the many different selection tools which were becoming a bit of a mess in earlier versions. Scott takes you through all the selection methods and tells you when its best to use each one. This version makes it easy to select really tricky objects like a head of hair and its all covered here in the book with some really good illustrations and worked examples.

Scott is very keen on using the Camera Raw editing features of Elements 11. He feels its so good that you don't really need to use the older adjustment methods such as "levels". I think it will take me some time to get used to this and I am pleased to see that he still covers the more traditional methods of editing.

The chapter on printing is really good and Scott shows you have to adjust your monitor correctly so that what you see on screen matches what you get on the page.

Given the choice of any Elements book, I'd go for this one, mainly because it is just so very useful. I don't sit down to "learn" a new piece of software. I learn about it by doing things with it. If I have this book by my side I can dive straight into some really nice projects and produce something I wouldn't have had a clue how to do before. These books aren't cheap but you also have access to an online library of all the photos used in the book so you can practice along with each chapter.

Scott has the ability to take you through some quite complex ideas without you realising quite how complex they are. Some people don't like his informal, slightly jokey style, but I've got used to it over the years and I know that behind it all there's some very solid stuff which he makes really easy to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up todate with latest version of PSE, 3 Dec 2012
Gordon R. Macgregor (UK) - See all my reviews
I have an earlier version of this book which I found very helpful. The books are designed for photographers and give clear instruction on achieving a number of different photo improvements and I am pleased to say that this latest version is much updated. It is particularly warming to see that where there is repetition from earlier versions that most of the photo examples have been updated with fresh new images which bring their own particular twist. I would recommend this manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars He tells you the best way to do things, 30 Nov 2012
I have used this author for three different programs now. When I upgraded to Adobe PSE 11 the interface was so different that I felt I needed a book to go with it.
I always find it helps as there are many ways of achieveing something with Photoshop but all the help may not point you in the right direction for the simplest procedure.
This book does just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers, 20 Dec 2012
This is a great book well worth the 5 stars. It has over 400 pages which covers a wide rage of "How To" with easy to follow instructions and Illstrations. Would I recommend it........... HELL YES

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help, 24 Dec 2012
Brilliant book ... Helps to fill I the gaps of the new photoshop Elements programme. Would recommend to anyone buying the software

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Manual., 6 Feb 2013
This book is exactly what you need to do anything in Elements 11, without obscure jargon or assuming any prior knowledge of any photo-enhancing software, if only all manuals were written like this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop Elements, 13 Feb 2013
An excellent reference book for the beginner to Photoshop Elements. Written in plain language and easy to read. Lots of hints to get you right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference book, 1 Feb 2013
My last Elements was Elements 4 for which I had this book by the same author. This book is equally as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must, 6 Feb 2013
D. P. Williams "scorpio2" (Lichfield.UK) - See all my reviews
Having gone from Photoshop 7 to Photoshop elements 11, I needed something to show me the way as many things had changed. Rather than just stumble around the software I decided to get a book. Having looked at the plethora of manuals available, I decided on this one, based on others useful comments and given I had other books by Scott Kelby. It is presented in a fun way so that it is not just a list of instructions and his writing technique means you can work through the book without feeling over burdened. I shall never be a Photoshop expert, but so far this book has opened up the clues and means of improving my humble pictures.Well worth the price. Incedently, I purchased this through Amazon from UKpaperback shop as a pre used item. On arrival it was in absolutely mint condition and I would not hesitate in purchasing used books from this seller again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be supplied with Adobe Elements as Standard, 1 Feb 2013
For users of Adobe Elements - Scott Kelby produces the best guide to how to use Elements to get the best from your photographs. By following this book beginners and experienced users of Elements can benefit greatly.

The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)