on 7 February 2013
I have just taken quite a big risk moving to Norway to set up as a freelancer again after 2 years teaching design and working on the side for myself.

Just before I left in January I ordered a copy of the book. Based on the hours I've spent reading through the blog I assumed the book would be just as inspiring, insightful and reassuring and I was not let down. This book has given me the confidence and the extra knowledge needed to fill various gaps in my working experience over the last 8 years. It couldn't have come at a better time. I've been freelance before and wished for a book like this, now as the moon and the stars and the mountains have aligned it's arrived!

By far the best book for anyone about to or currently on an independent design path!
on 2 January 2013
This is the book that I would have liked to have read before I set up my own studio, ten years ago. The book is very thorough, covering a range of issues that most designers will encounter at some point. The book begins with the mindset needed to be a designer, and whats needed to take that first step into being your own boss. It touches on the crucial business basics you'll need to be aware of to keep the ship running smoothly. I like the books honesty. Just like any business, graphic design has its ups and downs. You'll encounter challenging briefs, challenging clients and curve balls that are difficult to predict. 'Work for Money, Design for Love' covers most of the big issues and gives some very valuable tips on how to navigate your way through them. If you've been in design for a few years, or have just graduated, read this book before you set up as an independent designer - you'll have a head start on the rest of the field. A level headed read that will give you the most valuable ingredient needed to succeed - confidence.
on 27 February 2014
I finished reading the book a week ago. For me it was a great piece to empower my initial beliefs about how to be a better designer, to ensure me that I'm on a good way and to strengthen my self-confidence.
The author presents a vast number of situations designers have to deal with during their professional activities. By presenting opinions of many great designers, in some cases the book gave me specific directions, while at other pages let me decide, based on the stories presented, which path would be better to follow.
As a non-native English reader, I also appreciated the simply formulated sentences and easy to understand, but meaningful thoughts.
I highly recommend for all young designers who are pursuing a freelance design career and those experienced professionals, currently employees, who want to make a career switch by becoming freelancers or establish a design studio.
on 27 November 2013
This book was recommended to me by another freelance graphic designer. I've been in business for myself for 11 years now and have had struggles, challenges and ups and downs. I've also had lots of success with virtually no one to celebrate with because not many people understand how hard it is to run a design business successfully. This book is a companion to all designers out there trying to make a living from being creative. I love my business and I love designing, but trying to actually make a living from doing that is harder than you might first think. Airey writes about how to guard against some of the pitfalls, how to avoid not getting paid, how to keep sane, stay creative and the practical side of running a design business. I highly recommend this book for all designers running their own business and for those who are thinking about doing that or who are just starting out. It is also a very nicely designed of course and it's easy to dip in and out whenever you need a boost or need some inspiration to keep on going. I take it with me to my kids swim lessons for a quick pick-me-up and I've also recommended it to other designers I know. Thank you so much for this book!
on 25 June 2013
I've always been tempted by the idea of future freelance work and setting a studio up at home but with so many questions to ask and constant 'what ifs' I though it were time to find out more. If you have any interest in the above then this book is perfect for you.

It will save you a very hard first year and put you in a great position to pursue the career you are after, be it alone or as a start up business it has everything you need.

Great read and worth every penny.
on 31 December 2012
David once again has produced a superb book. A great and easy read that covers all the professional practice requirements needed from every designer. I was fortunate enough to receive an advanced copy of the book and it is both succinct and detailed in the subject matter. Subjects covered range from your decision to work for yourself, dealing with clients, pricing and promoting your design business. The book draws upon the experiences of many established creatives, each willing to share their knowledge so you can learn from their experiences and improve on yours. I have added this book to the required reading list for my students and I thoroughly recommend you read it too.
on 14 May 2013
David Airey strikes gold again with this book examining the common highs and lows of striking out on your path as a Freelancer. Well put-together with excellent anecdotes throughout, highly recommended for new-grads or anyone considering freelancing as a career path.
on 15 May 2013
As a self-taught graphic designer, this book is simply brilliant. It doesn't tell you exactly how to go about a job in detail, but provides a clear insight into how you should conduct the daily runnings of your design business. The messages are inspirational and unlike most 'business' orientated books, it's actually an enjoyable to carry with you and read at any time.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a book that's not the run of the mill!
on 17 January 2013
As a graphic design student I had read loads of design books and tons of design blogs. For every question I had asked, I could not find a straight answer. I had to scavenge through the Internet to find designers and email them my questions. If only this book had come out earlier, I would have seemed less of an amateur in front of my clients.

I know this may sound cliché, but this book is definitely an essential if you're a design student or just graduated. Creating great logos and etc, is only half of the process of being a designer. The other half is being profitable and managing the business side of your trade.

Learn how to get paid on time, charge what you're worth and more with this great book. There are mountains of great advice from the world's leading designers.
on 16 January 2014
I've been following David Aiery for a few years and decided to purchase this. I'm not too far through it yet but it seems to hold some great tips and advice. I've been a professional designer myself for many years so wondered if this would offer anything new. I believe it will so feel it was a good purchase. I'd also recommend his other book Logo Design Love which offers great advice on logo design.