5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, a must have for any digital photographer, 27 Oct 2012
This review is from: Lighting for Digital Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Paperback)
Having previously bought and read The Speedliters Handbook by Syl Arena I just had to get this book. It doesn't disappoint and I can recommend it to anyone from an outright beginner to a seasoned pro.Once again Syl has managed to demystify a subject that lots of people struggle with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 23 April 2014
I couldn't of found a cheaper and better photography class - and I've been on a few. Apart from the social aspect, attending classes don't work for me anymore. I now prefer the self-taught route, if a paper qualification isn't necessary.
I had a huge light bulb moment when I read the swimming pool explanation for depth of field and aperture size, I haven't troubled with it since, a confusing subject made simple and for that information alone, the price of this book was worth. Thank you Syl I thoroughly enjoyed your book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book - very informative., 13 July 2013
I've had a go at 2 or 3 books to get an overview of a wide range of lighting considerations and this is the closest I've come to a book that ticks all the boxes. Easy to read, well illustrated, this is the one I'd keep out of the 3 I bought - good for photography students up to C&G level 3 and enthusiasts alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review book, 8 May 2014
Clear instructions and informative.easy to follow. Assignments at end of each chapter to practise the theory for those so inclined

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for Improving Photographers, 16 Jan 2014
Amazon Customer (Warwickshire (England)) - See all my reviews
I bought this book (Kindle version) having seen a couple of Syl Arena's presentations on You Tube and have been very impressed.

The book is well written and concentrates on how lighting affects photography, and in particular, how to best use flash either alone or in conjunction with natural daylight. The diagrams and photographs illustrate the points well, the author is clear about which equipment will make the most difference and where large sums of cash are not needed to achieve good results. The writing style is engaging with a good mix of practical and technical explanation.

Some of the product names used might need a short search if you want to buy them in the UK or Europe, but in general they are very easy to identify just by asking in a local art shop.

There is a Flikr group to go with the book - linked from within the Kindle version and there are plenty of exercises to reinforce the teaching points.

The colour illustrations really do make the book come alive so reading on a colour device or PC screen would be recommended.

In short - an excellent book for anyone wanting to get beyond the beginner stages and improve their understanding of lighting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 14 Dec 2013
Philip Cogswell (UK) - See all my reviews
I recently bought a flash for my DSLR and quickly realised that using it was more complicated than I'd thought, and that I hadn't a clue how to use it. So I searched around for a useful reference source and ended up with this book.

I've not read the whole book yet but so far it has delivered everything I'd wanted. In a clear, simple and unpatronising way, well explained and illustrated, it takes you through the theory of lighting photographs and how to use a range of equipment to achieve the effects that you want. I have always thought that the critical ingredient in a good photograph was the light, and this book confirms that. I can see this becoming one of the most important references as I work on my photography.

I have two additional observations that might be helpful.

Firstly the author uses Canon equipment throughout. However everything I've read so far is universally applicable.

Secondly, a number of comments for the Kindle edition complain that references to and text about the illustrations are on different pages from the illustrations themselves. That is actually the same in the book. For example on page 11, the second paragraph refers to Figure 1.4, which is immediately below. The final paragraph on that page refers to and explains Figure 1.5, which is on the next page.

4.0 out of 5 stars What more do you need, 7 Aug 2013
This book and the whole 'From Snapshots to Great Shot' series are great to learn more. It has everything you need to light most things you can think of. From getting a great product shot that stands out from it's background, to bringing out the best in portrait photos.
Now I wouldn't class my self as a beginner to photography but I am by no means an expert. This book is great for teaching you a little more, or simply as a reminder or point of reference to the pros out there. The instructions are clear and easy to understand and the book is filled with before and after shots to show you the type of effect you will be aiming for before doing it yourself.

A great book that would make a perfect gift for anyone wanting to know a little more about photographic techniques and get the best out of there equipment. Or even a gift for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars All in one book!!!, 4 Feb 2013
I've brought general knowledge books on digital photography to get me stared and they have been very helpful, but if you need to specialize in a subject you need to get the right reference book to go with that subject and this is it for light (ambient and flash) Syl Arena is a master in my mind and the book lays it out very simply and goes into detail when he needs to, i've watch Syl Arena on you tube and hes a great speaker to check him out on the B&H seminars, i've just purchased his book on speedlights and i know i will come to terms with that subject by reading his book, lighting is a big learning curve for most me included but with this book and the speedlight book i know its going to cut this by half and always going to be a good reference book to look back to when i need to! Great!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars lighting for digital photography, 24 April 2013
Yeah its a great book, full of practical advice about all aspects of lighting, although I would have preferred more examples of using flash with ambient and guidance regarding metering and getting the light rogjt

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Companion to Chris Bucher's book., 23 Feb 2013
Again this "Lighting for Digital photography" book is excellent reading and practical for newcomers, whilst being a useful reference for more experienced photographers. I have found it to be an ideal companion to Chris Bucher's "Lighting Photo Workshop".
I have also recommended this book "lighting for Digital Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots" to my Level 2 City and Guilds Colleagues.

Lighting for Digital Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots