on 6 December 2012
I'm rarely compelled to review products, but this book has forced my hand. Strictly speaking I've been using the web version for the past few days, but only five chapters in I've had to go ahead and order the print copy because it's so devastatingly awesome.

I honestly consider this the finest technical instruction that I've ever encountered. As a long-time developer taking his first few tentative steps with both Ruby and Rails, this book is perfectly pitched. Moreover, the author's style is terrifyingly encouraging--it seems as though he's actually read a whole bunch of other flawed tech resources and avoided their pitfalls. Miraculous stuff!

Do yourself a favor--if you're new to Rails, and especially if you're new to both Ruby and Rails--buy this book. Now! Go!
on 25 October 2012
I have been using this book and the video series for the last few weeks. I have also got a lot of other Rails books and, apart from the Obie Fernandez one, this is the only other one I would recommend.

The book is challenging, but only because it really pushes you to learn by giving you lots of information in a succinct way. He directs you well to other sources of information to fill in the gaps, and the lessons are well paced and really thorough. If you are reasonably intelligent then I really cannot see how you could fail with this book, though I can see how you can go wrong with most other lessons out there.

If you learn best by example and seeing how it is done then this will be even better. Unfortunately I am the other type of learner and have trouble with any loose ends, so I found myself going on long detours to find out the "why" of everything when many times I would have been better completing the chapter, by which stage the why is often answered, and if not you are in a better position to go looking - I hope this last bit of advice will be use to the other "But whyyy?" people out there ;)

One area where I feel Michael's overall package really would benefit from improvement is the support side. There is no user forum and people are instead encouraged to ask questions on Stack exchange. I think this is both a frustration for the user and also an opportunity lost. The author states that this is because forums are a nightmare to run, and to this I can testify, having been admin and moderator for several. But, I still think there should be some attempt made for users of the book and tutorial to talk amongst themselves and help each other. Classroom teachers would tell you that this is where the best learning comes from - peer learning. It would also save lots of lost hours as people search for answers to things they do not understand. I think this could be done without any huge investment of time by the author and would again ask him to reconsider. He has replied to my emails on issues about the text, but I don't want to bother him personally, and surely we would be better helping ourselves and would enjoy the whole process more as a result?

So four stars instead of five - it would be five if the author allowed some kind of user interaction and peer help. It's a really good book and video course and there is really nothing out there to touch it, and believe me I have tried them all :)

Good luck learning Rails! It is challenging, but more fun the more you know :)
on 1 January 2014
Everyone, including my best friend, said this is THE book I should get. I've been doing web development on the side for a few years now, so I'm not a newbie by any means. This book, I was hoping, would get me the extra lift to become a serious web/rails developer. The scope of it is certainly that, however, I don't find it to be a very good tutorial. I needed over a week to fight myself through the first 2 chapters, and that's not because rails is not explained correctly, but because the environment set-up is the part that lacks proper exposure. I have spent more time on Google, than reading the book. I also find that the author is slightly Apple-oriented so if you dare do this in Linux or Windows, by any means do not rely on the book, nor the links it provides. The information you'll get is either outdated or incomplete. So, environment-wise the book is really poor.

When it comes to rails itself, and once and if you actually get there (a big if, if you ask me), the book is fine. A little outdated, and thus, a bit dear as well, but it gets you where you're supposed to get.
on 15 June 2013
Although this book is available for free on the internet I found it very useful having it available offline on my kindle, it gave me a chance to read through the book before trying out the tutorials.
on 4 May 2015
Love it
on 4 January 2014
Reasonably good impressions from what I've been able to read, but this book keeps crashing my Kindle Paperwhite, so it can't be recommended.