5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction/reminder for adminstrating Linux boxes in the 'DevOps' age..., 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: DevOps Troubleshooting: Linux Server Best Practices (Paperback)
In a nutshell: This is an amazing book for a developer or junior sysadmin who wants bite-sized and extremely focused recommendations for administrating a Linux box and the applications that are running on it.

I'm primarily a Java developer, and working as a contractor in small startup companies I often have to work across the entire stack from instance/OS administration right though to creation of web-based UIs. The term 'DevOps' is obviously getting a lot of attention in the computing/development press, and the type of companies I work for are increasingly expecting this to be a skill I should have (even if they don't know exactly what DevOps encompasses!).

I needed to improve my DevOps skills fast, and coming at this from a developer's point-of-view the primary skills I need to learn are the Ops-based System Administration (sysadmin) tasks - this book meets that requirement exactly. The book is small, but don't take this as a negative - it is highly focused, and contains a wealth of knowledge. I managed to devour the contents over a day, mainly by reading a chapter, taking a pause to experiment with my new-found knowledge and commands using a Linux-based box, and then dipping back into the book if I got stuck.

A particular use case that this book matches perfectly is the new wave of developers deploying to the Cloud. Over the past few years I am increasingly deploying a client's app to Cloud-based infrastructure such as AWS (EC2, RDS etc), and the rules of engagement are quite different here in comparison to when deploying to in-house boxes. I've lost count of the amount of time I've thrown away trying to figure out performance problems with Cloud apps - is the app poorly designed, or am I IO/Compute/network bound? The skills you'll acquire from this book will help considerably here (for example, I didn't know about the sar command, which is *extremely* useful for monitoring resources over time!)

If you're coming from a similar background to me and are looking for a good package of Linux sysadmin knowledge then in addition to this book I would recommend the Linux Pocket Guide for day-to-day reference (I always keep this book close by, and it helps greatly when I'm struggling to remember the netstat syntax or vim shortcuts) and the Pro Linux System Administration (Expert's Voice in Open Source) for the complete 'weighty-tome' reference.

If you're coming from a developer background and are looking to break into the murky world of DevOps then I strongly recommend this book as a starting point - the author has clearly thought about the goals of this book and has done a great job in meeting them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good - a classic Kyle Rankin book, 13 Jan 2013
This book covers all the basics in managing / troubleshooting a Linux server and its basic services. It's both highly useful and readable. I read it from cover to cover. I loved the sections about how to use top / sar and uptime to diagnose the state of the server. Yes, this might seem obvious stuff but do you really understand what all the numbers mean exactly? I've been managing Linux servers for over 8 years but there were loads of little tips and tricks which I hadn't noticed or properly understood before. I would buy this again.

DevOps Troubleshooting: Linux Server Best Practices
DevOps Troubleshooting: Linux Server Best Practices by Kyle Rankin (Paperback - 13 Nov 2012)
18.39