5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent learning guide
Published on 22 Jan 2006 by L. Owens

Published 13 months ago by MedicalStudent

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent learning guide, 22 Jan 2006
L. Owens "Lawrence Owens" (London, England) - See all my reviews
I teach anatomy and my students were, to say the least, sceptical about being made to colour in pictures with coloured pencils. But believe me, if there is a better way to learn human anatomy I havent heard of it! Excellent drawings with colour codes for each structure of all the major systems (skeletal, muscular, nervous, vascular etc), which make learning and revision for the subject a total breeze. Highly recomended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for learning anatomy, 3 Aug 2007
Beautiful Freak (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having just completed the first year of a medical degree, I can vouch for the usefulness of this anatomy colouring book. While I might have felt like my education had regressed somewhat after hours spent colouring in, this really is an excellent way to learn.

The diagrams are so clear and well laid-out that I ended up cutting out the pages and using them as an integral part of my notes. The page on the peritoneal sac was literally the clearest explanation I've seen anywhere. But as well as that, the actual process of putting coloured pencil to paper means that they stick in your head far better than a diagram you've just stared at in a book. It's a welcome (and often therapeutic!) respite from reading/writing notes, and the challenge of a different way of learning really makes the massive memory task of anatomy much easier.

However, as others have said, it's by no means sufficient on its own as a way to study anatomy. Perhaps its greatest weakness is that it's organised systemically, ie muscles/bones/nerves/blood vessels etc. This is an approach that's more useful when it comes to learning the muscles and bones, but it gives barely any indication of the relations to other structures - something that's essential to learn especially in a medical degree, and which my course particularly focussed on. This also means that details such as nerve/blood supply to muscles is rather weak. As well as that, the more 'physiological' pages (eg the immune system) are much more messily drawn and less clearly set out.

However, in conjunction with other resources and used alongside a more detailed anatomy course, this is a very useful book, and one which made learning anatomy much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like colours this book is for you!, 4 Nov 2004
I am a teacher of anatomy and physiology and i recommend this book to all my students. It only appeals to those students who like to learn in colours, i.e. you will need to use different colours for each of the muscles shown in the illustrations. it is a 'grown ups' colouring book - by following the instructions on each page you can grasp a clear picture of the structure of each system in the body. I think its a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 26 Oct 2003
Kate (Coventry, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This was the best anatomy book that i bought for the first year of my physiotherapy course. I used it loads for revision of anatomy and i'm still using it for neuro and cardiopulmonary in the second year. A brilliant investment(especially for a tenner)!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as learning aid or for revision., 29 Jan 2006
Jonathan (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
For various reasons I decided to revise my anatomy this year after a break of 24 years and bought this book for entertainment purposes.
In 1982 this book was in its first edition and I remember considering purchasing it, but everyone bought Snell and I wasn't prepared to take the risk. In the end I ended up learning anatomy by drawing my own diagrams so this book would have probably come in handy.
The diagrams are clear and the process of colouring-in key elements helps with learning. However the textual information is superficial and the body's components are not integrated together.
I think this book is well placed if you want to use visual imagery to learn anatomy or if you need a revision aid. However you will need other sources if you want to learn gross anatomy in detail from scratch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really handy diagrams. Great to get your head around new terminology. Pages are too THIN., 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Anatomy Coloring Book (Paperback)
This book doesn't really go into the depth that it required of you at medical school BUT it has been really handy in understanding the basics such as terminology and provides a good overview of topics. So, I would recommend using the book before you start studying the topic in med school or use it as a revision tool. It covers a lot of subject areas including embryology.

As a colouring book, the pages are far too thin to use felt/ink pens on as the ink just leaks through to the next page...obviously colouring pencils are fine to use. There's also plenty of room next to the text where you can add your own notes and annotations. The drawings are really impressive too!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest anatomy resources, 17 Mar 2005
This book is brilliant, i remember being given handouts from it while i was studying and now i use it for my students. This books is great for college and university level and has a good balance of clear fun diagram to colour in and conscise explanations. Well worth dishing the cash out for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for GCSEs and refresher for A level., 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Anatomy Coloring Book (Paperback)
Arrived very quickly.
If you learn this way, it is basic but is a good foundation to learn from and improve knowledge.
I photocopied some pages, so I could do repetition on areas I needed practice on.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome not a gimmick its awesome, 19 July 2008
My husband a dentist bought this book in 1994/5 the second edition and I use it now (he only coloured in the head) I am studying medicine and this book is awesome, the reason being I have a pictorial memory and by learning by colouring it has helped tremendously, in addition it is great when you are running out of time and the table at the back is invaluable giving you a breakdown of the muscle and the nerve supply and root value, I would definitely recommend getting this book for any medical student, I used this book as main core knowledge and built on it its a great starting block, I have limited spacial awareness and the way this books layers each muscle group is a real asset, it separates muscles groups into logical orders making them easier to remember. Given the fact that we learnt from prosection I honestly found this book a valuable asset. I photocopied the pages after colouring it in stuck it in a plastic wallet and took it in to the dissecting room that was a huge benefit as it helps you to learn quickly what you are looking at and it doesn't take much prep time worth every single penny!!! When Paul told me about the book in 1994 and I never of course needed it I thought aye right Paul its a gimmick you'll waste time, well now I need it, it really isn't a gimmick its awesome.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted., 21 April 2009
As a nurse i thought it was time to brush up on some anatomy and physiology, i bought this book as well as its physiology counterpart thinking a different learning style might help. This is a wonderfully illustrated book not at all like you'd expect from the title. However be weary although this is a colouring book it is very advanced and i think it would be more suited to the medics among us then us lowly nurses brushing up on the simple stuff saying that some of the pictures are definately keepers it's worth a try if you're looking for something new.

The Anatomy Coloring Book
The Anatomy Coloring Book by Lawrence M. Elson (Paperback - 27 Mar 2013)
14.99