5.0 out of 5 stars Brain Food
You probably won't use everything you find in this book but I'm sure you will find a lot to think about.

My first read of this book left my head spinning with possibilities I just hadn't thought of. As a photographer, some are of limited use but others can be used to tackle issues that are difficult to target any other way.

Intermediate to advanced...
Published 12 months ago by Wayland

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
Published 8 months ago by cornishman

5.0 out of 5 stars Brain Food, 7 July 2013

Intermediate to advanced users will enjoy this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Hidden Power of Blend Modes in Adobe Photoshop (Classroom in a Book) (Paperback)
There are a lot of very good books about Photoshop and there are some awful ones. Some try too hard to cover everything, not possible. The one thing I have found is that blending modes are either skipped over, dismissed or are poorly explained and generally left up to users experimenting. This book looked like a good and constructive specialist publication. There is a lot of really good technical information, however, it seems to have been bitten and infected by the obsession with many Photoshop users of producing "fantasy", "vampire", "lord of the rings", "grunge" and non realistic frightening avatar nonsense. The cover speaks for itself.
I don't advocate not buying it but be aware that you will have to disseminate the useful from the downright digital Kitsch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Add Intelligence and inspiration, 18 Oct 2013
There seem to have been a run of photography books lately that treat the reader as an adult with some knowledge and experience. This is one of them.
Photoshop products are (at first) quite complex and I found myself searching for recipes to make my images competition winners. Took me a long time to realise that it wasn't a recipe I needed, it was some understanding about the ingredients.

It then falls to you the photographer to use the ingredients (in this case Blending Modes) in your own recipes.

There is no magic formula or recipe - it's all about reading and experimenting enough to conquer each element.

If you are reasonably intelligent and experienced, the explanations given and the example of how you COULD choose to use each one should see your understanding of this feature soaring.

Well written, easy to understand, Well worth the money

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good., 21 Sep 2013
P. Alexander - See all my reviews
Like alot of other people who use photoshop I want to understand blend modes more. This book promises to teach you this but dosnt. The examples are amateurish at best and would fit in a photoshop book from the mid 90's. The sections are un-cohesive and I have not given it to a local Charity shop so someone can buy it for the right price. My advice...look on the net or just keep experimenting.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hidden Power of Blend Modes in Adobe Photoshop, 28 Jun 2013
Explanations are clear and orderly, it does help the beginner or the expert since mastering all the infinite functions of this program never comes to an end.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not as good as I had hoped., 16 Feb 2013
This book is collection of parts, mostly comprised of various well known users explaining a technique they use for some aspect or other. I find this recipe format is of modest value for me since it just tells you to follow steps a,b, and c. If my image isn't similar to the one shown or I want to make a certain effect not shown then I'm back where I always am, try this, try that which is OK but takes time and if I get there its by luck not planning. Having said all that understanding some of these techniques can help understanding blend modes its just not an intuitive learning technique for me.

The Hidden Power of Blend Modes in Adobe Photoshop (Classroom in a Book)
21.08