5.0 out of 5 stars Get off my lawn
Published on 9 Sep 2012 by P. Sherry

2.0 out of 5 stars seems to be hastily put together.
Published 21 months ago by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Get off my lawn, 9 Sep 2012
P. Sherry "Phil Sherry" (Gateshead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical CSS3: Develop & Design (Develop and Design) (Paperback)
It's been a while since I wrote anything, but I've just spent the day with Practical CSS3: Develop and Design, by the amazingly Wookiee-like Chris Mills. Aside from having my name in it, this is a pretty essential book. Aimed at developers that aren't stupid but don't know much CSS, this book will allow you to hit the ground running and annoy your fellow front-end developers as you stomp all over their turf - just make sure it's not MY turf. I prefer to do fairly in-depth reviews, so here we go.

CHAPTER 1: Introduction to CSS3 and Modern Web Design

Back in the day, this web design lark was rather convoluted. If you wanted rounded corners, you used images. Chris reminds you of many of these old-fashioned traits in this introduction chapter, and then slowly introduces you to these new-fangled "spangly web innovations" that make everything so much easier. You get a nice little round-up of all the CSS3 Modules, a quick run through of things like vendor prefixes, pseudo classes, and a handy CSS Selectors Reference.

CHAPTER 2: Building a Solid Cross-Browser Template With HTML5 and JavaScript

If you use Dreamweaver or some other fancy IDE all day, you might not spend much time writing the basics; instead, clicking things that generate your code for you. In his second chapter, Chris walks you through a basic HTML5 template from the ground up. I'm a huge believer in hand-coding markup, so I think everyone should know how to do this without relying on tools. Once you know the how and why, then it's okay to use things like Dreamweaver. Also covered here and the newer elements, coding styles, and even JS libraries to plug the gaps for the older browsers (commonly known as polyfills).

CHAPTER 3: Spicing up your Fonts and Text

One of the great things about Chris is that he's A TRUE GOD OF METAL, and you can see the metal shine through in this chapter about web fonts. I don't recall the last time I saw so many medieval fonts in one book. Amazing. You're also going to learn some serious font knowledge and how to use them properly on your sites. Farewell, regular font stack.

CHAPTER 4: Enhancing Boxes with CSS3 Bling

BRING ON THE BLING! This is the stuff that most people seem to want to know about: rounded corners, box shadows, gradients... oh my! But as Chris knows you're in the real world where people still use older browsers (i.e. IE), he introduces you to things like CSS3PIE to give those older version of IE some bling, too. The chapter finishes by showing you how to build a banner ad for a heavy metal band called DEAD HAMSTER. I mean, come on, how many books can you name that include ace things like that!?

CHAPTER 5: Animated Effects Using CSS3

In this post-iOS world, where Flash is a dirty word (thankfully!), CSS has upped its game and started moving things around a bit. In this chapter, Chris covers CSS Transforms, (2D and 3D) Transitions, and Animations. Just don't use them all at once, please? There is a lot to get through with these examples, but with a dash of Monty Python, Chris makes things very easy to understand. Treat this chapter as a reference to which you return often, rather than something to read twice and expect it all to stick.

CHAPTER 6: Using CSS to Implement Icons

Icons are EVERYWHERE these days (especially at github.com, where they went a bit overboard). The Big Fella talks you through several methods of applying these little fellas in this chapter: from individual images, to sprites, and through to icon fonts.

CHAPTER 7: CSS3 Layout Chops

This chapter is a bit more cutting edge and covers Multi-Column Layouts, Flexbox, Grids, Regions, and Exclusions. You get to meet Bruce the Dungbeetle, too. I'd stayed away from even reading about Flexbox until this book, as it seemed to be all over the place. In fact, Chris mentions it changed dramatically as he was writing the book. Hopefully, it's stabilised now. Chris walks you through Multi-Column Layouts, Flexbox, and Grids with some really easy to understand examples. I'd not heard about Regions and Exclusions before this book, but I wish they both worked TODAY. I think it's madness that we're only just getting these things in 2012. All we need now is browser support! Anyway, what an ace chapter. I got loads out of this one.

CHAPTER 8: Responsive and Adaptive Design

Aside from all the Bling of gradients and rounded corners, the next thing that gets most people excited at the moment is responsive design, which Chris covers here in a nice retro fashion. I've been doing the whole responsive thing for a while now, and yet I still managed to come away with a fair bit of new knowledge from this chapter. Great to see DEAD HAMSTER back from the grave, too.

CHAPTER 9: Styling HTML5 Media and Forms (Bonus downloadable PDF)

Another casualty of the post-iOS world: using Flash for online video delivery. This can get quite involved, depending on the level of codec support and file sizes you want to offer. Chris talks you through using the <audio> and <video> elements, and how to harness the controls with JavaScript. Finally, he talks you through some of the lesser-mentioned pseudo-classes, such as :required and :optional, :valid and :invalid, and :in-range and :out-of-range

BONUS: The Practical CSS3: Develop and Design Cheat Sheet (Bonus downloadable PDF)

Aces High! Get this printed out and stuck on the wall next to your nerd station, stat!

CONCLUSION:
If you're a back-end developer that wants to know a whole lot more about CSS, then buy this book. If you're a front-end developer that fancies polishing up your skills and learning a few things you didn't already know, then buy this book. And buy some heavy metal albums to listen to while you're reading it. I can recommend the mighty Conquest of Steel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and easy read full of useful stuff !, 6 Sep 2012
CSS3 is the upcoming standard for designing the look and feel of web pages and Chris Mills book is the standard for learning the new features that CSS3 introduces.
Chris's book starts out by explaining the ethos behind the standard, the difference between progressive enhancement and graceful degradation and how the standard helps web authors to implement these paradigms. The book goes on to explain the tools you should be using to be a modern web developer and the importance making your website accessible to all. After that it's a whistle stop tour of the new features you'll get access to in CSS3, such as Fonts, Boxes, animations, Icons and grids. Nice to see Responsive and adaptive design get a chapter all to itself.

Chris's style is easy to read and the emphasis is on practical examples you can take away and build on. As with any emerging standard there are problems with browser support which Chris readily acknowledges and explains; nothing is hidden and despite the fact that Chris is closely associated with the Opera browser does not get in the way of the facts. Nor is there any unnecessary browser bashing going on! The examples give are fun (if you're a Python or Metal fan at least) but are practical. I recommend the book to anyone doing web development work: it's a handy reference and an easy read. I'm certainly going to recommend it to any students I'm teaching Web Development.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent resource, 3 May 2013
David G. Kreps "da5idk" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This is the best little book on CSS I've bought in ages - a great update on the foundation texts from the likes of Meyer and Cederholm. Well worth adding to your library.

2.0 out of 5 stars seems to be hastily put together., 2 April 2013
I did not learn anything from this book. The author already assumes you have a working knowledge of HTML5 and CSS( which I do) but fails to expand on that knowledge, making the book surplus to requirements. It uses printed extracts of code but fails to explain what their purpose is. Especially when the code is just taken out of context. The are numerous references to javascript, so if you dont have a knowledge of javascript and the way it is incorporated into HTML 5 then you will be lost. Numerous use of acronyms and strange words such as 'KLUDGE? with no explanation as to what they are. There are also numerous references to URLs( web site) addresses which are out of date so dont work, especially the dev.opera ones. The problem with relying on URLs for further information (which this book does heavily) is that they are very quickly not usable because they are dependant on the referenced web site not changing the various file locations, again making lots of parts of the book a bit pointless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and practical book for Web Devs, 12 Oct 2012
Joshue Connor "9 Lives" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is a welcome addition to the developers canon on CSS. Chris wears his expertise lightly and has an enjoyable and breezy writing style which makes the substantial content easy to digest. The book is full of practical examples and code references and the author takes a nice 'real world' approach to the subject matter. He isn't superficially enamored with the 'new' as he always has an eye on how our design and development decisions will effect other users in terms of Website accessibility, usability and so on. He also points out how to make new CSS features more backwards compatible and there are some excellent online resources referenced within. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read and with truly practical examples, 2 Oct 2012
This is a great book packed full of easy to work through, real world examples (even if they are a little garish!) for many aspects CSS3.

It's good that the author has combined the often much hyped parts of CSS3 (shadows, round corners gradients, etc) into a single chapter and by doing so created space in the book for other chapters that go into more depth.

Two chapters stood out for me, the one on fonts and the one on icons. Chris gives practical use cases for all of these ideas and it's really good to see all the options we have for embedding icons in one place rather than being scattered over a number of articles across the web.

The book is a good length, without many dependancies so you don't need to read it cover to cover and can jump in and out if you need to. I'd recommend this book to anyone wishing to learn more about CSS3.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential desktop reference, 25 Sep 2012
I have ben using CSS for more years that I care to remember. Keeping on top of developments, what's supported and what's not, browsers, polyfills and fallbacks can keep you busy. Thanks to Chris we now have detailed descriptions and examples of all the latest syntaxes, techniques and approaches to dealing with older browsers in an easy to digest book.

It's packed full of practical examples and easy to follow explanations of the code . You can read it cover to cover or just dive into it to brush up on specific gaps in your knowledge. I particularly like the numerous matrices outlining support for various features. At over 300 pages it's packed full of useful gems.

I don't keep many books on my desk but this one is staying. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best new CSS3 features examined in a clear and entertaining way, 17 Sep 2012
Rachel Mccollin (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This book is one of a few that I own on the subject of CSS3 and it goes further than the others I've read, with all the latest CSS features. I learned my first new thing in chapter one, so I was hopeful that the book would continue to be as useful. I wasn't disappointed.

I've seen Chris speak at web design conferences and his chatty style comes across well in the book. He explains a range of CSS3 goodies, from the most basic to the more advanced, and he does so very welll in a style which explains things clearly and is enjoyable to read.

Obviously most of us won't want to apply all of the CSS effects he covers to the same site or page (some of the examples end up looking a bit messy because he's included a lot of examples), but I'm already using CSS in place of images in web design projects and this book will help me to add CSS animations too, as well as using the flexbox model wich it covers very well. The book also discusses accessibility and progressive enhancement and doesn't encourage you to develop in a way that only works on a few browsers.

I recommend buying this book if you want a comprehensive guide to CSS3 which makes sense of it all with some entertaining worked examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very worthwhile purchase, 16 Sep 2012
I heard of this via .net mag and then was driven to the purchase point again by seeing a tweet by Andy Clarke. In short I'm glad I made the purchase:)

If you are anything like me you follow a lot of blogs and links via twitter and pick up useful tips along the way. However I found this book to be a great overall view of CSS3 that you can just sit down with go through at your own pace. I found it filled in quite a few gaps in my knowledge and broadened my overall understanding which is exactly why I bought it:)

Whatever your level of experience I believe you will get something from this book. So stop pondering and get it ordered:) There are so many web related books out there ,but I consider this one a gem.

ade

Practical CSS3: Develop & Design (Develop and Design)
Practical CSS3: Develop & Design (Develop and Design) by Chris Mills (Paperback - 10 July 2012)