Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 June 2012
The training file download location is easily found close to the end of the ebook.

The book rated on a scale of 1 to 5 is at least a six. Excellent, well written and easy to understand.

Easy that is for people who read it properly and not those who ignore simple instructions such as where to download the training files and then write totally ignorant reviews...
on 15 January 2014
I have to be honest - I hate Illustrator. But I think it is mainly down to the fact that I grew up studying and working in Photoshop (and the free download of PhotoFiltre). I had to work out Illustrator as I am studying web design at college, even though we can use other elements we were asked to produce various things in Illustrator, so willingly I ran towards Amazon to find a book that would teach someone who has no idea what they are doing, and transform them into a magician at Illustrator.

After a few reads I managed to create various things, it was helpful. I have managed to swiftly drop Illustrator and run in the opposite direction to my friend Photoshop, but I know when the time comes (oh and it will come) - that this book on my shelf will get me there.
on 5 November 2012
Being a non-professional person who has basic previous experience, I bought this book as a way to broaden my knowledge of Illustrator mainly for hobby purposes but with a view to possibly doing some future web based design work for friends or family.

Currently about 3 or 4 chapters into this book and so far so good. I bought the kindle version so as you can imagine the clarity of some of the images is less than you would expect from a paper book, however the instructions and downloadable content are easy to follow.

Looking forward to working through the projects and possibly looking at more books in the range for other Adobe software such as Photoshop.
Okay. It's a good book. Its scope is wide, even from the get-go techniques are relatively advanced and complex as it tries covering many of the functions of Illustrator you may not even have known about despite having used it before. Still, I'm not sure that their approach is the best from a pedagogical standpoint, or certainly not for absolute beginners as the projects may seem a bit daunting.

Still, I am not going to subtract more than one star for whatever shortcomings I may feel the book has, for it is still the best one-volume cover-most-bases tutorial book on Illustrator I have had the pleasure to read. It did help me to get started, it did teach me many basic skills as well as more advanced ones when I was starting out, and it did help me overcome that overwhelming sense of not knowing where to begin the first time you sit down and try to figure out how to do anything in Illustrator. Especially if you are entirely new to vector graphics too.

I know this will no longer be the latest edition, but I am sure newer editions are equally good, if not better, and it's a series of books I therefore can recommend wholeheartedly.
on 11 October 2012
Although many tutorial exercises can be found on the internet for the adobe products such as illustrator few offer such precision and detail. There is little more frustrating that following a tutorial for a while only to realise an inadequate description have been used for the next step, or that the instructions are half missing meaning you can't reach the end. It's by the people that made the software - they know illustrator inside out and are good at sharing that knowledge. There are helpful hints and if you actually read the book you'll see you can download the exercise files from the link in the book. The exercise files are brilliant and take you through the tools in great detail. Simple and Effective.
on 9 January 2014
Delivered on time, in great condition. A very useful series to use as learning tool, good for beginners to use to get to a solid intermediate level.
on 18 August 2015
Teaching is an art! This book fails at times to deliver succinctly. Also the information is all over the place because it is not exactly teaching you a particular website to build (like other web site do) but giving you tons of information that you may not need. I can understand that this can be in fact useful but I wanted to see more working examples because it can otherwise get boring to read..
on 18 December 2013
Classroom in a Book is excactly what you get, and you can dip into it anytime or place that suits you.
on 1 November 2013
So far I have found this series really user friendly! In each lesson you are required to use the knowledge you have gained from the previous lessons, so you are putting the skills you develop in to practise as you progress through each book. Anyone creatively inclined should also appreciate the effort that has gone in to matching the branding with the software.
on 22 October 2014
fantastic book - spent a few hours on it and it really gets you into using Illustrator fast and applying many great techniques.
the book is structured to help you find a few ways of getting to functions so you can pick a preference. The examples are great and the files on CD are excellent.