Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 October 2013
I first programmed a computer in 1968 and enjoyed a career as a programmer until demand for this kind of work fell away.

A few months ago, I was given the very welcome opportunity to revive my programming career. The job was to develop an iPhone application to take set-up information from a database and return a report.

I'd never programmed for this platform before. Worse, I had never even used the programming language although I recall reading Brad Cox's original paper on Objective C. I'd taken the C++ and Java route rather than use the message-passing form of object oriented programming that I now found myself using. Worse still, I had a tight deadline.

Never having regarded myself as a nerd, I was somewhat put off by the title of this book but it's remarkable how little help I was able to get out of others that aimed to teach the same subject.

This book got me started and greatly eased the process of completing the work. Taking the reader through example application programs - I'm supposed to call them "apps" now - it introduced new aspects of the platform and programming language with clear and concise explanations. It introduced useful techniques that I could apply immediately.

Problems? Only a few and minor.

Get the paper version. A Kindle is too narrow an orifice through which to use this kind of work, even using the Mac kindle reader full screen. I had to constantly refer back to previous chapters.

For what I had to do, the book left me having still to do a lot of research but that was only to be expected.

If you want more than you get from the trivial introduction to programming an iPhone or iPad offered by, for example, the Apple web pages, this book will help you.
on 4 April 2013
Great for beginners and intermediate developers on IOS. Only a minor glitch about not embracing storyboards. I agree beginers should start without them but not use them at all??! Seriusly!!

All things considerated, a must buy.
on 23 May 2012
A definite improvement over the earlier editions, as it is now up to date and incorporates lots of extra stuff too.

But, as with the earlier editions, it gets very heavy towards the middle chapters, focusing into subtle points that are lost on a beginner.

The explanations of what concepts mean are good. But the demonstration code is hard to follow. Many chapters build on a particular application that evolves as the book proceeds, introducing new concepts and incorporating them into that application. Unfortunately this just leads to confusion and a feeling of "So what I just did was a waste of time..or...not good..or..or what?" as we are continually deleting blocks of code, or editing things.

Except for that bad approach, the book overall is good.
on 20 May 2012
I find the book really good. I think that it is a must have for any amateur or intermediate iOS 5 programmer.
It covers a wide range of iOS APIs and has many complete iOS examples.
I particularly like the "For the More Curious" sections where more advanced topics are mentioned.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 March 2013
I'm about halfway through and finding this an excellent guide to the complexities of iOS app development, Xcode and the Cocoa API. It's not really a beginner's book, though, so if you're starting iOS programming from scratch, you should work through one of the Objective-C textbooks first.

Each chapter takes you step by step through some code demonstrating a feature of iOS such as memory management, view controllers and notifications. You type in the code and read the commentary by the authors to understand what you're doing, then you tackle the "challenges" at the end of the chapters to practice what you've learnt. If you get stuck on the challenges, you can pick up tips in the Nerd Ranch forums.

Apple are frequently updating iOS, Cocoa and Xcode, so books like this need to be kept up-to-date with appropriate revisions. This edition is for iOS5. As I write, the current iOS is 6.1, and there are times when I'm working through the code examples and finding that something isn't working because Apple have changed some feature in the latest iOS. The Nerd Ranch forums are helpful for finding workarounds for these problems, though, so it's more of a slight annoyance rather than a major obstacle.

Hopefully this book will get a revision before, or soon after, the next major iOS update.
on 8 December 2013
Great book to learn how to develop app for iOS even if never programmed in Objective-C. In this book the reader learns by following the practical examples and solving the challenges, instead of just reading the theory.

A drawback of this book is that it is about the version 4.3 of Xcode while the last version is 5, which is different from the presented on the book. One way to overcome this is to follow the instructions in [...]
on 29 May 2012
Great introductory book covering all the basics and most advanced concepts as well. Not the only book you will need, but once you have studied this, you will know what other areas you need to study
on 8 October 2012
This book is an incredibly well written guide to developing for the iOS platform.
Honestly, if you can buy only one book on the subject, get this one. You won't regret it.
on 3 January 2013
this is a great book for iOS programming. it teaches us from the scratch and in a very helpful way. i recommend it mostly to the beginners of the iOS programming.
on 29 May 2013
This book certainly comes very close to being the most understandable I have encountered so far. Keep up the good work.