on 8 July 2013
There are already many great reviews of this book on amazon, so it is unlikely that I can say anything fresh about the content and style of this superb book, so I am not about to try. I'll just tell you a little story of how it helped me at a most opportune time.

I have been presenting and instructing for well over three decades, and I am still learning something new every day. We should all be open to that and never believe that we hae actually arrived at the perfect state. Strive for perfection.

I got a lot out of this book. I read it on a plane from England to my company HQ in Florida. I was due to co-deliver a two-week induction class for new joiner technical staff from all over the world. As you can imagine, we had put a lot of effort into the planning and preparation for the ten days of intense instruction.

Despite the experience of the new people, I have always felt that everyone could do with a few tips and hints on good communication, public speaking and, in particular, delivering powerful presentations and demonstrations to our customers. So I had two hours dedicated to these topics.

I mostly knew what I was going to do with the two hours, but reading

Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery inspired me to change my content and delivery.

I was able to use the three main guiding principles of the book: restraint, simplicity and naturalness , to construct a session to illustrate the power of those three guiding principles to the participants on my course.

I went analogue! I minimalised! I told my story!

This book really helped me to do that.

Was I rewarded?

Yes, I was.

At the end of the course, all of the participants were assessed on a presentation and demo which they had to prepare during the two weeks. My presentation on good communication came on day one, shortly followed by the assigning of course assignments.

All of my students used the guiding principles of Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery to great effect. It was a joy to watch!

Thank you very much Garr Reynolds.
on 21 January 2012
I have read many books on presenting and presentations and this is by far the best. It tells you how to improve your slides and then "shows" you. You see a rather poor slide and then you see an example of how it can radically be improved by using some of the simple techniques described in the book. Great advice on where to get your hands on amazing graphics, without breaking the bank. There are also oodles of practical tips on presentation delivery.
on 28 June 2013
As someone who does a LOT of presenting, this book has proved invaluable!

some real gems in here

Highly recommended :-)
on 17 April 2012
I saw Garr Reynolds give a presentation at Oxford University, and was so inspired that I bought his book (and the streaming video version!). I believe that this is a wonderful book on how to prepare, design and deliver presentations. Worth every penny.
on 15 July 2012
I bought this book to help me present some psychotherapy stuff, theories and helpful information because I wanted to share some ideas I had.

And spent the next 4 years travelling to national and international conferences using the very simple and brilliant information on how to improve my presentations.

Less is more - otherwise just give out handouts and let the audience read them...

The book is also laid out in a wonderfully presented way and shows you the difference between a good and not so good slide.

PowerPoint is here to stay whether we like it or not and I have learnt to present an hours worth of material with 3 slides :
1. The beginning
2. The middle
3. The end...

Actually 4 slides as I have a slide with a list of references (a habit from my MSc Transactional Analysis assignments) and I learnt how to simplify from this book.

The pictures and examples are brilliant and you learn how to end up using PowerPoint as a visual aid rather than a screen with handouts on...

I would recommend this book to anyone who does presentations - this and the "Presentation Coach" also available via amazon.

Anyway, having PowerPoint "cue" slides - similar to using mind maps instead of copious amounts of notes - frees up your ability and your passion to deliver your message in a much more engaging way because you can get on with your presentation.

Also takes the pressure off when the laptop breaks / projector overheats etc as it will happen at some stage because you are not relying on "Death by PowerPoint..."

Well worth having in your collection...
on 10 December 2012
Interesting hand book on to how to do your presentation.

I got a new flow to my presentations - and it really got me thinking in a new way.

If you are open to change and had enough with your old style of presenting thins book is of great help.

I would defiantly recommend it.
on 30 October 2012
Almost annoying that the concepts are so obvious (once they've been explained!). Really useful concepts, well structured and explained. The advice is immediately useful. A very worthwhile read and a permanent source for referencing I am sure.
on 13 November 2013
Good summary of how to get organised to deliver focused presentations. The ideas on how to present information for greatest impact are quite inspiring.
The best thing about the book is the thorough and intelligent referencing of other presenters' approaches which stops this being just one persons view of presenting. It also gives the connections to those sources which means you can pick those that interest or inspire and research further.
on 8 October 2012
Excellent book for anyone who wants to set a personal style of presentations. The writing style is clear and helpful to design and deliver great presentations.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 August 2015
This is one of those books that deserves the epithet of being a "classic" in its genre. The advice is simple, and well presented in a very easy to read format. There are plenty of examples to illustrate his points. The advice can be summed up in "less is more" but what is really helpful is the emphasis on the role of the visual aids in presentations - to add to the presentation, not to provide some kind of running commentary with all the facts. My only slight reservation is the repeated promotion of one particular source of images - which while good, is expensive if you have a large number of presentations to make. It is, however, a good source if your needs are for one or two "killer" presentations which you then tweak according to need. It's a book with both style and substance - not surprising as he follows his own advice when writing too - plenty of emotional content and a visually stimulating layout. Great stuff.