5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
Published on 7 Sep 2011 by C. Cudlip

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay..
Hi, heard huge rave reviews about this book but honestly. if people want to get a real handle of Ps, get on YouTube. I find these much more useful.

DOnt get me wrong its o but for 17..i expected more
Published 11 months ago by P. Crowley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 7 Sep 2011
C. Cudlip (Blackpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photoshop Compositing Secrets: Unlocking the Key to Perfect Selections and Amazing Photoshop Effects for Totally Realistic Composites (Paperback)
I thought I knew my way around Photoshop CS5 pretty well with good use of many techniques I'd learnt over the years. I bought this book thinking I might be a little disappointed at its content but because it was written by Matt Kloskowski ( I have some of his other books) I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did. Not only did it highlight some of my bad habits, it also showed me that I'm wasting a lot of time doing it the way I was. The book has a link to a download site for files and videos etc for all the chapters totally over 3.2GB if I remember correctly so you can practice with the actual images used in the book. I feel the book is slightly overpriced but still worth the money as its already saved me a lot of time in only 2 days! A good read and worth having in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another brilliant book from this publisher, 11 July 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
The author is one of the leading educators/lecturers in photography and the use of Photoshop; Scott Kelby is the other and they have sometimes written in partnership and run courses together, perhaps in person but certainly as DVD-based CBT.

One reviewer has down-rated this book because he claims that it does not mention that it is specifically for Photoshop CS5 users; in fact that phrase appears on the first line of the first chapter, so could not really have been much clearer. Perhaps it should have appeared on the cover but there is little that could be achieved in CS5 that was unachievable in CS4. Admitted, a few menu items were moved and some things modified slightly but most would remain valid, as it probably will in CS6 which I have yet to see or to use.

Do not confuse Compositing with Composition as the phrase is generally used in photography and art. Compositing involves taking elements from two or more images and merging them into something new. Composition concerns itself with the arrangement of the major components of an image so that they draw the viewer's eye to where you need it to be or away from where you do not. An example of compositing may be to remove the sky from one image where there is clear cloud structure, a good sky colour etc and to add it to another where the sky is ill-defined and featureless.

Although it is Photoshop that is the medium here, similar techniques can be employed in other photo-editing software, but Photoshop happens to be the software of choice for the author and most serious users.

This is a book for the more advanced Photoshop user as it employs layers, masking and other more complex techniques for many of the examples and tutorials. You really do need to be very familiar with those tools to make good use of this book. If you fit that profile, this book will probably be very useful. If you do not fit the profile, you may need to first ascertain those areas of your expertise which are deficient and that need to be improved before committing to this book.

Recommended, but only for the more advanced Photoshop user.

4.0 out of 5 stars CS5, 27 Nov 2011
Great book. Nowhere does it say that it is for photoshop CS5 users only. If you don't have CS5 then don't buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop CS5 and above - Good quality book!, 2 Nov 2013
Bought this as I don't do much compositing work, but I find I need to have this skill for some client work. Usually when shooting buildings and the weather isn't perfect, or photographing people.

This book excels at teaching you how to work with composites involving people. Packed with varied examples, and covering everything from shooting/sourcing images to combining them in photoshop, it is my go-to reference for any work of this nature.

It is really only compatible with CS5 and higher (e.g. the Creative Cloud version of photoshop). Shame this wasn't made more clear in the book's description, but the author couldn't have feasibly made a book that gave a comprehensive overview of how to use CS5 features and also gave a similar level of quality instruction to users of older software.

More pertinent is the fact that the book doesn't really deal with non-portrait situations where you might want to composite images. A classic area where this technique is used is in adding different skies to landscape/building photographs. Depending on the weather, this can look very natural or completely fake. It would have been great if Matt had included a small chapter advising photographers on how to get the best results in this kind of situation - i.e. how to make sure the lighting works, and/or how to judge the limits of what backgrounds could realistically be dropped in. Nothing like seeing a low-contrast flat looking building with a bright and saturated blue sky behind it to know that this area of photography could be much improved upon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent instruction book, 24 Aug 2011
Matt Kloskowski is one of my favourite writers and broadcasters about all items photoshop. This book is a very good instruction on this popular but sometimes difficult technique. All images in the book are available to download from the web, and so you can use them to perfect the different techniques explained, and compare your efforts with his.

A basic working knowledge of photoshop is required, but you do not need any more than that. It is well laid out as a book to read, or to dip into for ideas and advice. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great projects - should mention CS5!, 15 Nov 2011
J. Kallio - See all my reviews
A great book with projects that really inspired me to go out and do composites. The only negative is, that it utilizes a lot of features that are only available in CS5. I think this should be mentioned in the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - Does even more than it says on the tin!, 23 April 2012
A great book for learning techniques for planning and carrying out composites. But in doing so, it teaches you other great techniques that cover many other aspects of Photoshop.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice one, 21 Nov 2011
Great book from Matt Kloskowski. Good for all photoshop users and photographers. The transaction was timely and delivery was flawless

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for learning by numbers, 12 Oct 2011
I didn't rate this as excellent as it does something so many Photoshop trainers do - they tell you exact numbers to set each parameter to. Please stop it. I want to know what to look for (both to aim for and to avoid) when choosing a setting in a dialog box. My pictures will each require unique settings and achieving those is an artistic decision and I would like to know in which direction to head off in to achieve the look I am hoping for. Simply telling me "set the radius to 10" doesn't teach me anything. That apart there's a lot of good stuff here and some great tips too, so its 4/5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its okay.., 17 Jan 2014