5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable
Published 23 months ago by D. Jewell

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless for beginners since the examples can't be followed
Eclipse and the ADT have changed since this book was published so now you can't follow the books examples , without visiting the forum. The very first application in chapter 1 won't work without making modifications. I persevered with this , but the same thing happened in chapter 2, after which I turned to a different book.
Published 11 months ago by J. Stowe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, 23 Jun. 2013
D. Jewell "davejewell" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Coming from an OS X and iOS background, I bought this book to learn the basics of Android programming. The book lives up to it's promises and takes you through the development of several Android apps, building your confidence along the way. The book is based around the Eclipse development system, and I'm not an Eclipse fan. Instead, I chose to work through the examples using the newly released Android Studio - and I'm glad I did so. I find the latter a lot more intuitive.

One word of warning: like most programming books, there are a few mistakes and because Android is a moving target, you'd be well advised to go to the Big Nerd Ranch website and download the accompanying code from there. You'll also find a forum for readers to exchange hints, tips, discuss the best way of doing something, etc. From a practical viewpoint, the best programming book on Android I've found so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Paperback)
Of all the android books I've purchased, this is the best. The fact that they write all their code with v4.0+ in mind instead of a compromise (found in many books), start from the beginning, and go all the way into advanced topics including camera, maps, contacts integration. They make no apology for working with fragments throughout. It's a chunky book but that's a good thing IMHO. (I bought this as a physical book as I've found that e-books don't work quite as well for reference.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Android book out there at the moment, 30 Jan. 2014
If you are fed up of doing Android tutorials (e.g. on Youtube) that never work and are so buggy that they end up wasting hours of time then look no further - this is the book for you. Not only do all the exercises/apps in the book work properly, you are taught how to develop apps properly and professionally by using fragments. The explanations are excellent but you do have to spend time reading the text before you do the examples. Put in the effort - you will be well rewarded. A truly excellent approach and an excellent book. I take my hat off to BigNerdRanch.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am finding this a very good learning guide to Android, 10 Jan. 2015
Firestorm (Cirencester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Paperback)
So far (I'm up to chapter 10), I am finding this a very good learning guide to Android. I come from a c# background and had to learn the basics of Java before starting - this mostly boils down to understanding the differences in the OO features. The book was written for the Eclipse IDE but I am having no difficulty using the new Android Studio instead. The book is targeting Android API 17 (4.2 Jellybean), min API 8 (2.2 Froyo), things have moved on a little since, so some of code to support Froyo may now be dropped I think. The apps work fine deployed to various emulators and my HTC phone.
Book contains good UML diagrams of the structure of the apps; essential to understand the interactions between the multiple objects needed in the Android ecosystem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best programming guide I've read, 3 Jan. 2014
Brilliant book, takes you from the absolute beginnings of the most simple Android program and eventually teaches you the basics for pretty much everything you're likely to want to develop in Android. Note that it's not written to teach you Java so you will need to know at least the basics of Java before reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Paperback)
This book is very well written and covers all the basics. Can't recommend this enough for any budding Android developers out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Paperback)
I highly recommend this product.
I started writing android code only 2 months before purchasing this book. I had worked through a more basic book that was slightly out-dated. Once I understood the basics of writing android specific java code and the Eclipse software, I thought I'd try a more advance book, but not "advanced". This book is perfect for what I needed! It starts off assuming you have basic understanding of Java, and after that takes you through programming step-by-step. It runs you through everything, including debugging and backwards compatibility of APIs.
It's written in a consistent and well-presented format.
Books become outdated very fast as Android is regularly updating its firmware, however this book has a link to it's own website and online forums which will correct the book for updates to future Android firmware.
I couldn't recommend this book anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, 24 May 2015
This review is from: Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Paperback)
I had been working on the Android app of a big mobile network provider in UK before getting this book, for about a year.

What can I say, the book explains clearly the best practices and how you should develop an Android app. However, it's a first Android book, if you want to really nail this platform, you need to get more advanced books afterwards, or spent an extensive length of time experimenting with different aspects of android programming.

From my personal point of view, this book puts me back on the right track to develop an android back correctly, in terms of activities, fragments, etc...but I already knew lots of tricks/traps to use/avoid because of my background. You should complete your knowledge by reading about network API ( such as Volley, Google own network API ) for example.

Conclusion : for a beginner, perfect book. Worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I like is how it teaches you to ..., 20 Dec. 2014
Well written as all Big Nerd Ranch books are. Getting a bit out of date now that the Android landscape has changed but it teaches the fundamentals and then adds in a bit more in some areas that may come in handy and help you understand how Android development in general works. I followed through about half of this book or so before I was confident enough to go off and do my own thing. Best thing I like is how it teaches you to how to structure your application by activity and fragment.

Good book, looking forward to an update at some point and will no doubt buy that too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but quickly outdated., 16 July 2014
This review is from: Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (Paperback)
A nice thick book for anyone start to wrangle Android.

As a Computer Science student I bought this for some light reading, and a few chapters in you're already getting new knowledge. However this book is a little outdated, it points to its website to correct the outdated version. If you're buying this around Christmas '14 it's probably been depreciated.

I wouldn't recommend this book if you have no prior experience with Java programming!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide by Brian Hardy (Paperback - 28 Mar. 2013)