4.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase
Published on 15 Mar. 2012 by Les3

3.0 out of 5 stars More on the camera please
i would have appreciated this book more if it had concentrated on the working of the D5100 and not on the basics of photography. i already have those skills and would appreciate a more camera-based book (as its title implies).
Published on 18 Sept. 2011 by sideshow bob

3.0 out of 5 stars More on the camera please, 18 Sept. 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basis for photography - thats all., 24 Nov. 2011
Like the other reviews, this is good as a general account of how to use an DSLR but not really specific to the D5100.

It does go through some of the new automatic controls but then says to not use them anyway!

If you want a clear account of how to take better picture with a DSLR then I think its quite good. If you want to learn some new tricks with your D5100 - dont bother!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 15 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Paperback)
I didn't purchase this book from amazon, but got it for a similar price. Being new to DSLR photgraphy, I found the user guide included with the camera way too complicated. This book starts out with the most basic features of the camera, including what each button/dial does, progressing through to the more complex features and photgraphic techniques. Text is clear and simple and includes some nice sample pictures to illustrate each function. I find myself referring back to it constantly and the fact that it is specific to the D5100 makes it invaluable. My only criticism is that it is quite large to take out and about with you to refer to as you take pictures.. a pocket version would be great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Paperback)
I was hoping to read, learn and how to get the best use of the new features of the D5100, such as the swivelling screen, the high dynamic range, the amazing ISO performance and the high resolution movie mode. But this book misses them all out! Very disappointing.
It does describe the 'menu' items quite thoroughly, but this information is in the Nikon manuals anyway.
There is some specific D5100 information in the 2 supplement web-based chapters, but these can be accessed by anybody without buying the book!
Apart from the 'menu' descriptions, this is a generic book which, in my opinion, could apply to any Nikon camera. None of the example photos are credited to a D5100 and I got the distinct impression that the author hadn't even used the camera.
For me, the title is misleading and the book is a complete waste of money and space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Paperback)
Have to say to those expecting a guide to the D5100, its buttons and menus etc, that the title should have given them a clue that the book was more about improving photography generally than anything else. No real excuses then for marking it down then, particularly as you could "look inside" not only this book to see whether it fitted your requirement, but also others on the D5100.
I bought the Nikon 5000 version of this book fully realising what it was and it did help me improve my photography.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very basic, just read the camera manual instead!, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Paperback)
I was expecting more in-depth information on the D5100, however the information in this book could be applied to any Nikon (most of it could be applied to any camera). I got to the end of this book and felt that I had only read an introduction, I had to double check the page numbers to make sure I had actually finished. If you are a complete beginner to DSLR photography and have lost your manual, it might be worth a read, otherwise don't bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 18 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Paperback)
I've been a keen photographer for over 35 years and have used many SLR and DLSR cameras over the years. But I wanted to ensure I got the most out of my new Nikon D5100, so bought this. It's written in a friendly informative manner which would be an excellent introduction for beginners as well as anyone new to this model. I can't praise it highly enough - buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the Regular Manual, 10 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots (Paperback)
This book is full of tips to make your camera work for you not just especially for the newcomer to DSLR, I would imagine it's got a lot for the more proficient photographer. I am thoroughly enjoying working my way through, reinforcing my little knowledge with the hands on exercise at the end of each chapter. Well worth buying and specific to the D5100

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, clear read, 9 July 2014
A good, clear read, expanding on technique as well as technical matters. It certainly helped me get better results from my D5100

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Aug. 2013
An excellent guide by someone who had clearly studied the camera and had some contact with Nikon.
Wondered about buying the Kindle version but I have found it suited me pretty well. Obviously it does not tie in just as well as the paper book would with the images but it suits me and my reading opportunities.

Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots
Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots by Rob Sylvan (Paperback - 17 July 2011)