5.0 out of 5 stars Learn PHP and MySQL from the ground up
Published on 19 April 2005 by downsider

Can I start by saying that i have a great deal of respect for Larry Ullman. This title along with PHP for the World Web (For beginners) are excellent titles for learning PHP & MySQL.

Published on 31 Jan 2012 by Peter Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn PHP and MySQL from the ground up, 19 April 2005
As a complete novice to both PHP and MySQL, I found this book totally accessible. [The last language I learned was - wait for it- FORTRAN! - things have moved on a bit...] The progressive tutorial was paced at a perfect rate, introducing just enough new material each time to keep the interest level high and not too much to be overwhelming (unlike a lot of other computer books). The database section of the book explained relational databases in understandable and practical terms too. Another good feature is the wealth of good quality reference material, encouraging the reader to supplement knowledge in specific areas if desired. The overall thrust of the book is towards what I, and I imagine a lot of others, want to do - make a database driven website. The book succeeds in this objective very well indeed.
It's also a very handy reference to Open Source PHP, which helped me to understand how to configure and use several packages.
My only slight criticism is the lack of detail when discussing security - something which is surely a top concern of any operational website. Apart from that, I can't praise it highly enough. If only all computer books were written like this.....

5.0 out of 5 stars PHP & MySQL, 16 Jun 2004
An excellent book with a comprehensive complimentary website, a great reference source for when you get stuck! The book contains good hints and tips at the end of each tutorial for if you get into difficulty.
The book does require you to have good web knowledge and assumes you know the basics of HTML. Good understanding of another language, such as JavaScript, is very useful as much of the knowledge is easily transferable to PHP.
The book has a good introduction to databases for those who have avoided tackling them in the past!
If you follow all the tutorials (rather than just downloading the available PHP files!) you will be up and running in no time. The tutorials are clearly explained and illustrated and don't gloss over any of those vital steps as I've found with other tutorial books. Although all tutorials are based on a few simple functions the skills learnt are easily transferable to different, or more complex, systems.
Happy reading :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top book for the php newbie and intermediate, 5 April 2005
K. Halley (UK) - See all my reviews
I can't speak highly enough of this book, I have used it as my bible since picking up a bit of php a few months back. I initially borrowed a friends copy having found it more useful that the SAMs Teach Yourself PHP and Mysql in 24 hours that I had already bought. The SAMS book probably explains some of the constructs of using the language a little better, at the start, loops flow control etc, but after that this book just leaps ahead. I continually refer back to it (so much so I had to buy my own!), and its helped me understand and solve lots of problems I have found along the way. Its helped me a great deal to be able to pick apart some of the automated server behaviours in Dreamweaver and to be able to work with them so I can use their facilities but customised for my own needs . I have written three or four scripts which do combinations of stuff in the book and my confidence has gained to the point I actually enjoy the challenge now!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 21 Sep 2004
Let me say one thing, if you spend time with this book and read it all the way through properly, at the end you will come out with a very good undersatnding of how PHP and MySQL works.
It is very easy to follow, so you wont be getting stuck, and even if you did you can just visit the books website where you are guarenteed to get help. But hey, it wont even comedown to that anyway as you wont be getting stuck.
After reading this book, I am now working on creating my first dynamic website. I had no experience of php, only little bit of SQL when starting this book. But now I am sure I could class my self as an intermidiate PHP MySQL user.
Just take my advice and try it, you wont be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - highly recommended, 10 Dec 2003
mike hall (catford, london United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is great. Easy to follow, well written and concise. I'm a 4th year student and have used this for much of my final year project based on PHP and MySQL.
It explains really well how to set up a user login system, form entries, some basics of SQL, all you need for this kind of project. Mine is possibly the most used and worn text book ive had in 4 years!
In summary, if you need a book on PHP and MySQL then this will suite you. I'd say its aimed at an beginner to intermediate level user and some HTML experience comes in handy.
I hope this helps you make the right decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool book, 16 July 2004
By A Customer
I am a BSc student, got this book based on some of the above reviews, have to say having read a couple of chapters from it its absolutely great, it lives up to its name, if you want to learn php/mySQL programming fast look no further, although it starts from the very basics having some sort of understanding in scripting/programming/sql is helpful as this book moves very quickly (hence the name!). I recommend this one especially to BSc Computing students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - VERY Useful, 19 July 2004
I knew quite a bit about PHP / MySQL, but this book really does reinforce your knowledge by taking you step-by-step through scripts and methods.
It's also a great reference, and the support forums are brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still the best PHP & MySQL Guide, but parts are a little lazy, 31 Jan 2012
Peter Jones (Crawley, West Sussex. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites: Visual QuickPro Guide (Visual QuickPro Guides) (Paperback)

My only criticism is that he could have spent more time updating the examples. The main eCommerce example is one for a gallery, which has not changed as far as I can see for the last three editions. I just think its a bit lazy adding a few chapters and putting a smart new cover and selling it as completely revised and updated.

Still the best guide out there, but please spent more time on the updates.

Peter Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic for beginners!, 11 Feb 2005
MR S S BHACHU (HAYES, MIDDLESEX United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I recently started learning php and mysql and found this book an invaluable source of information.
The book starts off introducing you to PHP and MySQL, explaining their uses and potential.
The author guides you through real life examples including how to setup a very simple form to simply read information from a database, to more advanced things such as form validation and more.
The book also teaches how to write good, clean and easy to read code.
If you are a COMPLETE newbie to either PHP or MySQL i would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Computing Book Ever!, 22 Feb 2005
Gortalath "Gortalath" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I don't normally write reviews, but for this book I decided I had to, simply to praise the people who put it together. I've got a dynamic websites assignment on at the moment and this book has contributed no end. Everything is so clear and easy to understand and yet it manages to provide you with all the information you need to put together very professional and sophisticated websites.
For the beginner there are the SQL and PHP chapters themselves. I knew SQL and was familiar with the basics of PHP and so I simply started reading at chapter 3. After that there are advanced topics for PHP and MYSQL use, which are in the format of, box with code in, followed by screenshots, and then an explanation. This conveys the meaning perfectly, and you know how you will implement it into your own website.
Finally, there are additional topics for those people who master PHP/MYSQL and have created their dynamic website. These include a user registration system, and content management system which I am thouroughly looking forward to. Despite the PHP/MYSQL title, the book also covers javascript and html use as they are so much a part of the subject. All this is in a slim 500 page book, which also manages to be a good reference book for the SQL and PHP functions available. I could go on all day...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›