5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise handbook
Published on 21 April 2012 by Old Den

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starter for FC Pro, but not very well rounded.
Published 1 month ago by Shelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise handbook, 21 April 2012
Old Den (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Cut Pro X: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides) (Paperback)
I have been using iMovie and Final Cut Express (FCE) for a number of years to make my home movies. I recently took the plunge and bought Final Cut Pro X and although the interface is very similar to iMovie I needed some help in finding the more advanced editing tools and techniques. In the past I've had experience of Apple's Classroom in a Book series which are good but they require time and dedication to work through the lessons. For Final Cut Pro X I had enough movie clips of my own to experiment with in both DV and HD format and I wanted an illustrated book that I could either browse right through in sequence or dip in and out of according to the task in hand. This Visual Quick Start Guide fits that requirement perfectly. The text is easy to follow and the colour illustrations are very clear. I bought the printed version instead of the Kindle version because of the colour illustrations. If you have some experience of editing movies I can recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect guide to a an otherwise bewildering piece of software, 22 Nov 2012
Started using it as a step-by-step guide for which it served as an excellent introduction to the software. As I progressed I started using it more as a reference book and dipping into chapters about specific functions of the programme. Any deficiencies I found were not in the book but in the programme itself. The book is particularly good in that it explains a bit about the thinking behind the software, which in the long run gives the user a more intuitive grasp and enables you to start guessing correctly how to do things and where to look for a specific function.

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Cut Pro X, 25 Sep 2012
M. Gattuso (UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased Final Cut Pro X Visual Quickstart Guide when I noticed that one of the authors was Lisa Brenneis. I have a guide by her for an earlier version of FCP, which I found indispensable. I have not been disappointed. The book under review covers all aspects of FCP X which are needed to become an efficient user. It is clearly written, well illustrated and easy to find what you are looking for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starter for FC Pro, but not very well rounded., 8 July 2014
Nicely presented book, with I suspect all the essential info in it. However, don't expect it to be a training manual of the sort that used to come hard copy as several books with Final Cut Studio itself in the past, as these contained a huge amount of theoretical and practical info, as well has telling you which button to press. the current volume misses so many opportunities to be better in this regard it's quite frustrating, and superficial. however, it will get you pressing the right buttons and off to a good start, in a clear manner.
Such a shame Apple dumbed down the whole Final Cut Studio package to FC Pro X, but there again it's incredible value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought, 27 Sep 2013
I thought this book on FCPX doesn't live up to previous publications in this series. Not enough simple explanation is given and some issues are very hard to find, in the text or index and I have had to resort to the internet for answers to most of my queries. I also have this book for FCP6 and this is, in my opinion, more informative. I am a bit disappointed with this FCPX version.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm, 29 July 2014
Samantha "Using audiobooks to make the commut... (Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
You would be better just to youtube. There are lots of helpful step by step guides and video's showing you what to do. This book is OK but a lot of reading to make only a little progress. Quite cumbersome, eventually gave up and resorted to youtube - should have done this to start with.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very informative "must have" for the FC Pro X Editor., 26 Mar 2013
Mr. G R. FORMAN "Silver Surfer" (Aberdeen Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have to admit to preferring "The missing manual" series in this type of guide,..but as there is no word of a FC Pro X guide, I thought I'd give this one "a go". Its difficult to assess why, (in my opinion ), the missing manual series has the edge,..as this one is equally informative. Perhaps the colour pics are smaller ?,..or the narrative is less free flowing ?. I've only had this Visual Quick Start Guide for a few days,..but I'll get stuck into it soon,..and I'm certain it'll be extremely helpful.

Final Cut Pro X: Visual QuickStart Guide (Visual QuickStart Guides)
Used & New from: 21.56