5.0 out of 5 stars The must-have book for Go developers.
This book is absolutely fantastic. I've read a couple of Mark Summerfield's other programming books and they're very well-written and helpful. Programming in Go is no exception. Although the printing style is a little odd (with a few too many block arrows and § for my liking), the content is great.

Programming in Go reveals plenty of hidden features, cunning...
Published 23 months ago by C. Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars A book that falls between two stools
I'm an experienced C and Java programmer, but completely new to Go. I got about half way through chapter 1 before I felt I was floundering. The problem is everything and the kitchen sink is thrown into chapter 1. The author attempts too much, there is too much assumed knowledge. The result is confusion.

Chapter 2 starts well enough, but before long the author...
Published 2 months ago by Avid Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars The must-have book for Go developers., 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Programming in Go: Creating Applications for the 21st Century (Developer''s Library) (Paperback)

Programming in Go reveals plenty of hidden features, cunning tricks, and useful idioms which make writing Go programs more effective and easier to maintain. The examples are thorough and come with all the accompanying code, so the reader will gain a very deep understanding of the language and its use.

I agree with another reviewer that the order of the book's contents is a little odd, with if statements and packages covered very late in the book, after having been used before, but it seems to work, and page references for material covered elsewhere abound.

Personally, I think every Go programmer should read this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars A book that falls between two stools, 24 Sep 2014

Chapter 2 starts well enough, but before long the author can't help himself, and we are writing functions and http servers and handlers and all sorts - functions aren't really covered until much later in the book. I guess the author's enthusiasm for Go got the better of him!

So, this book doesn't work as a tutorial. I put it to one side and used various online resources to learn Go.

However, the book is fairly thorough, and has some good (challenging) examples, so I came back to it later having learned the fundamentals of the language. I found it worked much better as a cookbook/reference guide. But even there it's not really what I would classify as a proper cookbook or reference book. Unfortunately, falling between two stools in this way it is not possible to be the best it can be at two roles.

In summary, if you are new to Go I wouldn't recommend this book as a tutorial (even if you have a ton of experience with C and Java). I would thoroughly recommend working through the online Tour of Go, working through some of the examples on the Go by Example web site, and perhaps using the wonderful site Exercism, which will gently teach you to write idiomatic Go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good and thorough book on Go, 17 Aug 2014
Mr. G. D. Aszalos (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Very good and thorough book on Go. Sometimes repetitive but all in all it's highly recommended. It'll definitely get you to the next level.