on 26 May 2011
I received this last week, and I will be asking for my money back. A few examples why (from the first two Chapters only!):

Chapter 1 states that it shows how to install RHEL6 (RHCSA Cert is specifically on RHEL6). However only 4 pages are about RHEL6, the other 7 pages are about RHEL5, which is completely irrelevant to an RHCSA student, and irrelevant to a RHCE student who would surely be familiar with this process already. At least 50% of the screenshots (which cover the vast majority of the page space) are in conflict with the accompanying text, which is very confusing and negates the whole point of having screen shots in the first place. Worst of all, the Chapter instructs the reader to install RHEL6 on a virtual machine with 512GB RAM, and then describes a GUI install. As is clearly stated in RHEL6 literature and confirmed by my own efforts, it is not possible to do a GUI install on machines with this amount of RAM - a reduced function text installer is the only option. The Chapter describes how to do things which are not even possible in practice! I can only conclude that the writer has never even *attempted* to carry out the very task he is trying to instruct the reader on.

Chapter 2 is littered with errors and oversights. The possible GRUB boot modes are described - but not the commands required to actually use them (why? This is supposed to be a practical guide). A couple of pages later more factual errors when it says that the shutdown command takes time arguments in seconds. I tried it - it's minutes, not seconds. Literally the next page it says that /sbin/reboot is a symlink to /sbin/halt. I tried it - in fact /sbin/halt is a symlink to /sbin/reboot; the exact opposite of what is written! On the very next page the example output is incorrect again, showing the incorrect output from an init command.

These are only examples from the first two Chapters; who knows how many errors I have missed, and how many more there are to come? This book is completely unusable as an instructional text - if I could give a zero star rating I would.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2011
I have managed to read 103 pages of this 502 page book and already I have discovered enough errors in it to submit a negative review. It is poorly written by the author and obviously not edited by anyone experienced in Linux. If you are new to Linux - do not buy this - the subject matter is difficult enough without having to deal with command format errors and omissions by the author.

Regards
on 29 August 2011
The author has a great writing style, however is fundamentally let down by the complete lack of any kind of proof reading.

From the look of things this was originally written for RHEL5 then quickly upgraded for RHEL6. Just feels as if publication was rushed.

I found it was great to use as a companion book to Michael Jang's RHCE quide RHCSA/RHCE Red Hat Linux Certification Study Guide (Exams EX200 & EX300), 6th Edition (Certification Press), however i wouldn't recommend using alone.