Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 September 2011
This book is fine for those who want a straightforward, step by step approach to a few simple and, not so simple but maybe not so relevant for most Elements users, techniques. If, that is you can put up with the folksy style and toe-curling attempts at humour. However, if you want to understand what the programme can do, rather than be led through a series of set routines, there are better bets elsewhere. It's all rather shallow in my opinion but it doesn't require a deal of user application either so perhaps it will suit many PSE9 users. And these are clearly the target market. Fair enough and good luck to the authors, who are clearly doing jolly nicely, thank you. For those of us who wish to see if we can get by with Elements rather than PhotoShop - do I really need Curves adjustment layers or can I get by with Levels adjustment layers and do I really need Quick Mask? - then the more weighty tomes which strive to get into this programme will be the preferred choice. I bought it but wish I hadn't. Of course the bigger books are harder going but much more rewarding. Horses for courses.
on 2 August 2011
This is an excellent book for photographers. It provides detailed, step-by-step instructions for carrying out the tasks which photographers need to perform. It does for digital photography what Delia Smith and Jamie Oliver do for cookery and is the best and most extensive 'how to do it' book I have come across. However, I found its informal hillbilly English to be distracting, so I hope that in future editions, the authors adopt accepted, standard language. Despite that minor gripe, it's still excellent and is suitable for those with a rudimentary knowledge of Photoshop Elements as well as for the advanced user, but complete beginners may want to buy an introductory text first.
on 11 September 2013
I got this book from a library to help me join my photographic hobby and mac while feeding my creative side. I found this book immediately helpful with its clear guides and step by step instructions for each topic. This book does what it says , it has been created by photographers for photographers , there is nobody talking about how good THEY are. Scott Kelby has made a reference book that is simply that , a book that you can flick through to either learn or refresh yourself on many topics using photoshop 9. Since using this book i have found myself starting to get my monies worth out of photo ps 9 and dare i say it , actually turning some average photos into good photo's. If you have a camera and ps9 then this book is a must have , some of the best money i have spent on my hobby.
on 9 May 2013
Something I never thought of when I ordered this book for my Kindle paperwhite - The book is predominantly for the editing of colour photographs with illustrations to help. Since the Kindle is black & white only, all the subtle changes of colour, tone etc are meaningless. The text of course is fine and usually tells me what I wanted to know but, where the illustration is important to one's understanding of the text, it all falls down.
on 3 February 2012
This is a consistent book for beginners or more intermediate Photoshop Elements users. The writing style is clear, the steps to explain the different tutorials are well explained without being too long or with too many references. The book includes a very handy exposure card, but I would have also appreciated a CD with a .pdf copy of the book to carry with me in my laptop like some other publishers do. The introduction includes a link to download the same pictures included in the book to practice with the tutorials.
on 2 May 2012
Read a book on CS4 by this guy- love his approach- admire his knowledge even more-this book doesn`t disappoint.If you`re stuck over anything- be it photoshop or camera stuff-check this guy out- It`s worth it
on 11 April 2011
Although it is of course possible to buy a copy of Photoshop Elements 9 , install it and use it straight away, by trial and error ,and using the very helpful "Help" notes that are part of the programme , and it is after all reasonably intuitive to use , I am sure you will do much better and learn much faster if you invest in this book . It is (like the previous book on Elements 6 ) very clear and easy to follow , with detailed instructions on every conceivable operation in Elements . Like all Scott Kelby's books , it contains some of his humour , which may not be to everyone's taste , but if he is not on your wavelength here then all you need do is skip the first page of each chapter .
If - like me - you previously had Elements 6 and Kelby's book on Elements 6 , and then move to Elements 9 then I recommend you get this book as well , there is remarkably little overlap , and there are so many changes and additions to the programmes . It is a completely new book , not a new edition of the earlier one .
A real Five star plus , and most highly recommended
on 28 March 2011
I am currently taking a ba hons degree in digital photography.
And as part of the course we are encouraged to submit part as
work done in photoshop.As a study book on the subject.I found
this one very helpfull for my course work.There was everything
that i needed to know in its many pages.For first students
alike i recomend this book fully.Photoshop Elements 9 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
on 30 April 2011
Having bought the Elements 7 book by the same authors, I had no hesitation in buying this one. The book is written in an easy friendly style and is very easy to dip in and out of to find just what you want. The explanations are clear and well illustrated. Easy to understand why the authors are among the top ranked in the world of Photoshop and Elements.
Highly recommended.
on 25 June 2012
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this book as it is clear and concise with no expectations of previous knowledge. It is easy to locate particular information using the contents or index. The chatty style may not suit everyone but the authors do give step by step instructions in user - friendly language without being condescending and succeed in giving readers the opportunity to experiment with any aspect of the programme. I would recommend this book.