4.0 out of 5 stars PSE 9 Scott Kelby et al
Published on 11 Feb. 2011 by Z. A. Chaikin Linekar

3.0 out of 5 stars it's good but
I am new to Elements having just bought elements 9 from amazon. Although I have basic skills in photo editing i thought I would buy a book to help me along. As photoshop products can be a minefield if you do not know what your doing.

Published on 17 Feb. 2011 by Ms Lesley A. Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars it's good but, 17 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Photoshop Elements 9 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (Paperback)

Yes it is a good book and written so you can understand it ............I find that always helps. The exercises and projects are very good and extremly helpful .......................I have no coplaints about that at all in fact the section on raw is very good.

But............they assume you have proir knowledge of elements and how to use it. Which was what I bought the book for. I did read the reviews about it before I bought it and now I think about it no body did say it was good for beginners.

So I have now got to buy yet another book to cover the very basics.

4.0 out of 5 stars PSE 9 Scott Kelby et al, 11 Feb. 2011
Quite a useful book though not quite in the same complete practical style as Kelby's earlier books for PSE. It seems to be assumed, that anyone who has recent versions of PSE has already got some familiarity with it. I think that is risky thinking. At the outset, the reader is informed that there will not be an full explanatory tour of the editing palette. Because his collaborator writes on one aspect of digital editing, a chunk of teaching information on layering is not included in this book. Instead, the reader is referred to the other author's book on the subject. It may be okay, but I am not inclined to buy a specialist subject book when what I want, at the moment, is generalised development.

I am not particularly amused by the introductions to sections...they are meant to be, I think, light hearted and humorous. Why not just say something like "digital editing is an interesting and fun subject if you want it to be, and serious for you who want to be serious. I enjoy it and that is how I/we write about it". Instead there are inane and irrelevant burbled partitions. I wonder if they are there to make the book look thicker. These elements are not needed, in all respects.

I like Kelby's approach to digital editing, which you get to when the irrelevancies (see above) are left behind. His books are very readable and useful. That does not mean other authors who take a different approach are not competent in their presentation of the subject. A number of them are very good for a variety of stages of development.

PSE9 is an application produced for PC and Applemac. As PSE 9 includes an Organiser for Applemac, there is a fair bit of detail about its workings and use. I prefer to use The Bridge that came with earlier version of PSE, and knowing more about the organiser confirms for me, my personal choice. Kelby does however, help the user to understand the functions of the Organiser in relation to the editing programme and in relation to whatever platform the user has. I have played around with the Organiser, following guidance from the book, to check out its function.

As usual, Kelby et al offer their skills and knowledge in an easy dip in and dip out style. There is no need to religiously follow section and chapter in sequence.

Kelby takes care to detail the keystrokes required for the mac user and points out where certain features are only available to the PC platform.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate, 23 Jan. 2011
Having had previous versions of this book, it covers much of the same ground, but has, as far as I can tell, been thoroughly updated. It is easy to read and with a reduction in the quantity of so called 'humorous chat' (that North American authors litter such books with in the belief that it makes them easier to digest). Nicely illustrated and very easy to delve into at any point. Thoroughly recommended, especially for those that use Elements 9 on a Mac.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a format that works!, 28 April 2011
After battling with CS4 for several years and purchasing and reading many books and magazines on Photoshop, I saw a demo of Elements 9 and purchased it, mainly for its ability to process NEF images and its many excellent auto functions. After printing and reading the manual that came from Adobe I was still struggling and sent for this book based on Amazon customer reviews. Wow, it makes everything so simple with easy to follow step by step guidance. I read it from cover to cover, before attempting setting my second licenced software up on a new laptop purchased for photography only and its guidance regarding importing,organising and tagging my images made each phase so simple, as is each stage of the editing instructions.
I just wish that I had found Scott's CS4 guide years ago. Both raw beginners and more experienced users will, I am sure find this book invaluable. I have now just finished reading The Digital Photography Book 1 and am about to order books 2 & 3. I cannot speak highly enough of this author, he is brilliant at explaining functions in a clear and concise way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible, 31 Dec. 2010
Mr. P. Rodford (Winchester, England) - See all my reviews
I also have the same books for previous versions of elements and this follows the same format. Really easy to follow and invaluable for casual users. I don't use photoshop often enough to remember exactly how to do stuff and in what order so the book comes out almost everytime I need to do some retouching. It's funny to read the product description above though - "If you're looking for one of those "tell-me-everything-about-the-Unsharp-Mask-filter" books, this isn't it." Then just a few lines along it says - "The sharpening techniques the pros really use (there's an entire chapter just on this!)" Yes there is a lot of detail about some techniques but it is useful to understand what you are doing. Owning the PE9 means buying a guide to get the best out of it so budget for both in the first place. I researched lots of other PE9 guides to see if it was worth going for a different style this time. It isn't. This is the best guide I have seen (so far).

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential purchase, 1 Jan. 2011
I have bought other guides to using previous versions of elements but they were all vastly inferior to this one. Got it quicker than the 3 to 5 weeks quoted on Amazon UK by getting it from Amazon.com. Even with extra postage the total cost was not much different and it arrived in rural France in 10 days (including Xmas).

The style is easy to follow and so far I have only scratched the surface but discovered lots of usefull elements features that I was unaware of. The section on Raw processing alone is worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elements 9 My Dear Watson!!!, 23 July 2011
I have both this book and the one that did not come with the software. While I cannot criticise the latter, this particular book is the real deal for those who are not experts but are keen to learn, but have a problem finding their way through discussions of the software that are a tad confusing and frustrating. The authors of this book find a way to make everything so understandable and accessable to the enthusiastic amateur, and enable them to get results off the bat.

Anyone who has a decent digital camera will find that any book by Scott Kelby will appeal. One interesting step at a time explained with humour. Check anyone of them out you will find your skills increasing with every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 16 Jan. 2011
Having previously purchased the authors CS5 guide (i use both forms of Photoshop) i expected much of the same ,and indeed certain sections are virtually lifted from the CS5 book.
But it is much easier to follw ,as one would expect for a simplified version of Photoshop and much easier to follow ,in some sections the description for almost identical tasks in both formats is explained in a way that doesnt assume you know all the basics before buying the book as many other publications often do ,with the manner this book is laid out and relatively easy flow in reading ,i can only recommend this book as a must for Elements users and even as an intro to CS5 basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, 23 May 2011
I purchased a previous book by Scot Kelby, so was not surprised that the instructions would be so easy to follow. Anyone using Photoshop Elements 9 would be well advised to buy this book as it gives step by step instructions to do just about anything you need to enhance or change your photographs. You can also download some of the pictures from Scot to practise and hone your new skills. Another excellent purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good "how to do it" book, 2 Aug. 2011
This is an excellent book for photographers. It provides detailed, step-by-step instructions for carrying out the tasks which photographers need to perform. It does for digital photography what Delia Smith and Jamie Oliver do for cookery and is the best and most extensive 'how to do it' book I have come across. However, I found its informal hillbilly English to be distracting, so I hope that in future editions, the authors adopt accepted, standard language. Despite that minor gripe, it's still excellent and is suitable for those with a rudimentary knowledge of Photoshop Elements as well as for the advanced user, but complete beginners may want to buy an introductory text first.

The Photoshop Elements 9 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)