on 4 December 2011
Having used After Effects for four years, switching to Nuke was a little challenging as it is node-based as opposed to layer-based. The interface was completely new, some naming conventions were different and I felt a bit lost at first, which is normal when learning new software.

This book helped me get up to speed really fast. It is very user friendly and is divided into digestible chapters. It is almost entirely practical as you are performing the steps along side the book. In just a few weeks I feel quite confident using Nuke. I absolutely love this book and would recommend it to anyone new to Nuke!

A word of caution though, the book is written for Nuke 6.2v1 (which the author states in the introduction). I am using Nuke 6.3v4 and in some (rare) cases the steps are a little bit different. This is not an issue except in one case: My version, Nuke 6.3v4, has introduced a bug (overlaying a 3D scene on top of a 2D image using Over in the Viewer Composite Controls does not work), and I could not complete the last part of Chapter 9: The Nuke 3D Engine (pages 268 to 278). This is not the book's fault but a version bug, but I thought I should mention it.

Bottom line: A definite buy for anyone new to Nuke, 5 stars!
on 25 November 2012
I had to "migrate" from Fusion to Nuke, this book is the perfect reference I needed to get started. I found very usefull to have a real, physical book, so I can read it away from the computer to grasp the global ideas, concepts and 'philosophy' of Nuke. I Then read it again at my desk to practise and check I grabbed everything right.
I like the way it is written and organized, my sole critic would be on the screenshots : some are hardly readable, due to the Nuke's interface colors... But when sitting in front of a computer, this isn't a big problem anymore.
Thanx mr Ganbar !
on 11 October 2011
If you're new to Nuke, or maybe converting from Shake, or even new to compositing, you'll enjoy this book.
Personally I was hoping for some more advance number crunching of the processes, but it provides a solid overview.
It does what it says, it's a crash course in using Nuke.
It goes through all the key points of compositing with lots of examples.
There's a provided DVD with files on to try it yourself.

I think it's a little over priced, considering books such as Ron Brinkmann's The Art and Science of Digital Compositing are a fiver more, yet is so much larger and in depth.
on 20 January 2013
It's quite good for beginers I just wish the supplied tutorials were more realistic not so easy so that when you try to apply the same principals to your own work it would be easier to work out.