on 2 September 2012
I wrote my first website 10 years ago using the 4th edition of this book. Ok, the examples haven't changed that much and some of the stuff you need is now on the web and not in the book, but it saves a lot of time typing! HTML 5 and CSS3 are vastly different from previous versions and this book updated me and got me back up and running in no time after crashing out with both Drupal and Joomla which proved to be too techie and buggy for me.
Basically, if you're a professional don't buy this book. For the other 99% of us this is a must have book that you will find yourself referring to over and over again. Buy it, you won't be sorry.
on 11 October 2012
Well written technical books have many examples which the author guides you through step by step; or they have an example which is developed further as you proceed through the book.

This book has neither - the examples are useless i.e. open the tag, put in content, close the tag.

There is some good information there but really it can be summed up by p180: "CSS2 is the version best supported across browsers both new and old so this book will cover it extensively."
on 19 March 2013
This book is really thorough and it does not cover the latest developments in HTML 5 like the proportional spacing.
It is s good book but if you simply want to look something up it is a daunting task as its like looking for a needle in a haystack. The index is a bit lacking in this regard. I wanted to make a wide background for my website and there is nothing in this book to tell me how to do it. I had to look on the internet and suffer all the red herrings I finally found one that works to a point. Why are simple things so hard to learn how to do? By the time you wade through all the pitfalls of multi-inherited rules you would just as well give something a unique ID. Life is too short for alot of these esoteric rules which I hoped a more updated system would obviate.
on 5 July 2013
Solution Architect, ScrumMaster and Enterprise System, N-Tier developer.
It contains the right amount of detail to prototype front-ends in an agile fashion using up-to-date techniques easily.
At 500+ pages it is not that lightweight. Not detailed enough if you're a pure front-end developer.
Quick way to get up and running - needs to be paired with an in-depth O'Reilly title equivalent.
I like the innovative format so i'm giving it 4 stars, depth is only 3 stars though.
Useful refresher if front-end is a smaller proportion of your development time.
on 17 April 2012
This is a great book on HTML5 and CSS3 particularly for beginner/intermediate students of the subjects.
I really like the layout of this book which makes using it as a desktop reference easy.

One criticism is, where is the HTML color chart that was in the old version of the book?
I would have liked to have seen more on SEO as well.
on 31 January 2012
I have read previous versions of the HTML & CSS Quickstart books, and found them to provide a solid background to the subject. I was a little disappointed in the previous version that the examples were not more modern in layout and style. You just have to look at the authors website to see what I mean.

When I read that this latest version included `approximately 125 pages added and substantial updates to (or complete rewrites of) nearly every page' I was most exited and looking forward to new and updated content. However what you get is the same old content without major updates, exactly the same samples, with just a couple of chapters on HTML5 added at the end.

I would get a copy of your local library before committing yourself to the purchase of this title. I for one think that authors should be spending more time on books like this, rather that rolling out the same old stuff with a new cover.

Follow the free guides on W3Schools is my advice.
on 23 October 2015
Great as a quick reference book. However you can get all that help online and nothing specially except that it is in paper-book format so can quickly be referred but that is all subjective. The quality of paper is great..glazed paper and coloured text and figures.
on 5 April 2014
This book did have a lot of information included, however some elements of HTML and CSS are not included and this made it hard to implement some of the elements into a project i am working on using this book.
on 11 July 2012
I wrote my first web site with Elizabeth Castro's first book on HTML some 10 years ago. This book brings you up to date with HTML5 and CSS3. She sets things out in a way one can understand with useful examples. A very useful book
on 20 July 2012
Step by step instruction on how to build a web site using the latest web standards. Explanations are easy to follow using non techie language. Plenty of examples and illustrations supporting the text at every stage. Lots of links to enable the reader to delve further into the subject. A great book for the beginner or intermediate web designer. Highly recommended.