Get this book if you want to get Adobe ACE status. Reading, doing ALL the exercises, and then reading through the software manual will put you in a good place to take ACE exams. I'm an ACI and I got 97% pass - this simple advice is all I did. Doing all the exercises is important, otherwise you will miss out on important things in the early chapters that semi-experienced people tend to gloss over.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2011
I was starting a design job and had about 6 before my job started. I grabbed this book and worked on it learning ID every day. I did every exercise. And carefully read every page. I didnt move on until I really understood what I was reading. Sometimes I would do some extra things by experimenting after (or during) each lesson.

I got through this book in two weeks (around a lesson per day) Ive now been using indesign 5 weeks and am already beyond intermediate level.

This book has been an excellent starting point, I am now looking for resources to take me to the expert level. Indesign ROCKS!
on 22 October 2011
I bought this book because i have just started an MA in Publishing, and i needed to learn the basics of InDesign to create a piece for an assessment. This book is brilliant for beginners because it takes you through the steps very methodically, whilst not seeming too condescending at the same time. I would recommend this to anyone starting out with InDesign or anyone looking to re-fresh their skills. Even when i become more experienced with InDesign i will keep this book for reference, as most users of this program know, it is easy to forget even the simplest things. Great product, worth the money!
on 27 May 2013
I produced documents in MS-Word until I was told that I should use InDesign which was part of my CS5 package but had not been opened! I did not find it intuitive to use and hotkeys do not do what one would expect from a familiarity with other programs. Having said that, where a feature is in, say, Photoshop then the hotkeys follow that convention - logical! This book made sure that the program's idiosyncrasies were explained and understood. A typical chapter will start with a lesson overview and a page showing what is to be achieved. The chapter will then go through the steps needed, in detail and in a clear way. Also most pages have tips or notes in the margins which are helpful. There is a CD with the book which contains the files needed to complete the work detailed. Has it all worked? Very definitely, 'Yes'. I now produce my newsletters exclusively in InDesign. The book is recommended for anyone who needs to get to grips with this program.
on 29 October 2011
This book is useless for a beginner. It doesn't walk you through the basics first and then introduce more complex ideas. It does the oppposite. Explanations are unclear and vague. There aren't many exercises at all unlike what was promised. It's perhaps suitable for a more advanced user who wants to learn about the new features in CS5, but someone who's new to InDesign will find it pretty useless. Like anything Adobe comes up with from their software to the 'Help' menu, this books is difficult to understand, has no logic in the way it's written, and only puts you off InDesign completely. Badly written, disappointing book that doesn't deliver on its promise.
on 22 February 2016
Learned in design from this to a good standard, it's not very creative in its tutorials. The stuff you create looks dated and basic but with a little creative input you can take your learning to the next level!!
on 2 September 2011
Bought this book as I've been using Photoshop for over 10 years & realised I'm mainly using it for posters, flyers & brochure design & have never even opened InDesign up. This book is a brilliant introduction to everything you can do, at some points I sat back dumbfounded at how simple tasks were that I'd been taking hours to do on Photoshop. What I would say is that for anyone who is familiar with any of Adobe software you're going to be very tempted to skim over bits because you think 'yeah. I know how to save a document thanks' but it really is worthwhile to force yourself through the first few parts as there are a few tricks & tips to learn there too.

Have just ordered the Flash version & intend to add more to my collection soon!
on 27 December 2012
I'm really excited about this InDesign introduction book. You learn from the beginning how to use the software, but it's not too simplified but from the very beginning interesting even if you already had experiences with layout programs before like me. The chapters are build like class sessions, very well explained (but as said: not simplified, it's really on the right level) and the tasks are reasonable, not only easy to follow but it is even fun to learn. Each chapter gives the time needed to do it (between 45 and 90 minutes),these times are realistic. I learned what I needed to know. A disadvantage is that the American measures are given (pica, inch, not mm or cm) but my InDesign could work with these American measurements most of the time. It's not a book to just look things up (but it has an index to do so) but it guides you to use InDesign confidently in a didactically very well done way. Really useful and helpful. I made me confident to use InDesign after not having used it before.
on 12 June 2012
I purchased this Book from Amazon All Adobe Classroom in a Book are worth Buying providing you have the Software.The DVD in the back of the book gives you ten lessons with pictures and text.You are then shown how to put them together on one A4.
on 31 October 2011
This book is a great buy. I'm already a working graphic designer and have been using indesign for 5 years. But I'm always learning new things - going through some of the lessons is a great way to nail the basics and it's also a good reference guide if you forget how to do something in particular, or want to learn a new trick or two! Thumbs up from me.