5.0 out of 5 stars Better than taking a class in the program
I wasn't sure what to expect from the Illustrator workbook, but I ordered it on a whim because I really wanted to learn the program and figured Abode's own workbook would be the best way to do it. I was definitely right.
Published on 3 Aug 2010 by popscole

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy for the Kindle
The paper version is delivered with a CD to complete lessons. They haven't worked out how to deliver this content with the Kindle. I see there was a brief discussion regarding the lessons being available via the adobe website but this hasn't been done.

Published on 17 Dec 2011 by Kevin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than taking a class in the program, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Adobe Illustrator CS5 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe)) (Paperback)
The book is so easy to follow, and really guides you through every little nuance of Illustrator. I feel like I really understand the program now, and I like the fact I can still run over any of the 15 lessons if I feel I need a refresher.
The instructions and diagrams are crystal clear and whilst I struggled in a couple of places, this was no fault of the book and more to do with me misreading. Another read of the paragraph meant I was well on my way again.
I really think this workbook would be useful for anyone from a real beginner to someone who already has a fair grasp of the program. I'm familiar with Photoshop so I knew the basics about controls/layers etc, but I still gained so much from this.
I'm going on to do a degree in Illustration soon, which was why I wanted to learn Illustrator, and I now feel totally equipped for the computer design side of things.

Buy it! It's worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to learn Illustrator this is a good place to start., 20 Mar 2011
S. D. Spicer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Adobe Illustrator is possibly one of the most frustrating bit of graphics software out there. It's not actually that difficult, but many people struggle with it. I teach this application (I'm an Adobe certified Instructor) and once we've gone past simple shapes I know people will have issues. Often I'm asked what book they can get to help. This is the book. It will teach you all the main features and quite a few obscure details that people overlook. It will teach you mastery of the pen tool, a tool you MUST master to understand Illustrator.
What it won't do is teach you to draw. There are plenty of other books that will teach you that; and I'd always suggest a pencil and paper first if you actually need drawing lessons. What it will do is teach you drawing with Adobe Illustrator and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for an Illustrator novice, 27 Aug 2010
I'd used Adobe Photoshop for some time, but needed to migrate to Illustrator which more suited the type of work I was dealing with.

This book was the first I bought, and I can recommend it to anyone trying to delve into Illustrator CS5 for the first time. It delivers excellent step-by-step instructions on all the major subject areas, and offers just enough details to get over the initial hurdle of learning such a huge product without boring the pants of you.

Overall very good for a beginner, not so good for someone who's already used Illustrator in a previous guise. It gives a great foundation on which to build your Illustrator knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars AI CS5 Classroom in a book, 13 May 2011
Very helpful guide for those who want to learn the secrets of AI but are absolute beginners (like me). Lessons are easy and clear, not too long to be boring. Within an hour for a lesson you can learn new and new things. At the end of every lesson there are some review questions on things mentioned in that lesson. This is my first Classroom in a Book but when I saw how were the things described I've ordered PS CS5 Classroom in a Book as well and now I'm waiting the delivery. I would recommend these books to anyone who starts from the scratch in the design.Adobe Illustrator CS5 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for first time illustrator users, 1 Nov 2010
Mr. Cj Rockliffe (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
The book arrived promptly and within a few days i was much more confident at using illustrator, i have extensive experience with photoshop and have always found illustrator a challange, no more however due to this easy to follow book i am now using illustrator more than photoshop, it has some great features in CS5 which this book helps to explain and guide you through the use of them.

Although i must say after the first few tutorials i found that i had learnt enough to experiment on my own and have yet to go through the last 1/4 of the book.

overall very helpful if you wish to learn illustrator

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy for the Kindle, 17 Dec 2011

Very disappointed that this book is offered as a Kindle purchase. Don't buy this or any of Adobe Classroom in a Book series for the Kindle as it's a waste of time.
Fortunately received a full refund but found contacting Amazon regarding this problem very difficult.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent introduction for Illustrator, 3 Mar 2011
It's a very good and easily understandable guide to the program. Even if starting as an absolute beginner, this book helps you achieve good level very quickly!

2.0 out of 5 stars Get Steve Johnson's brilliant Illustrator CS5 instead, 15 July 2012
J. Mero (Norway) - See all my reviews
Like all the Adobe CIBs this one is VERY awkward to use. The text is not very clear and the layout poor because it is very hard to distinguish between instruction and information. They are both in same font and font weight. Also the page layout is wasting nearly 50 mm on one side as a margin that is used marginally, instead of being used to illustrate where to find buttons etc. And it is a real time-waster that often it is not shown where to find what you need for next step, but seemingly expected that you remember all from in the beginning of the book.
Compared with the brilliant Illustrator CS5 it becomes very clear how poor the layout really is. Unfortunately there is no Missing Manual issued for Ai CS5, because they are really the ultimate in usefulness, and treasure-chests of information.
Considered this one is also quite expensive in comparison to the brilliant Illustrator CS5 (about twice the price), it is poor value for money.
It could maybe have been worse, but I can't quite see how!

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new world of possibilities!, 12 Aug 2011
Mrs. K. Troy (Nottingham England, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is worth every penny. It is clear and concise and even if you thought you know all about Illustrator - there are many many features and processes that this book can help you with to make you a more productive and creative designer. I couldn't wait to do each chapter and I enjoyed it very much. Best of all I can keep the book for reference for all time because I bought it!! Really really good. Will be buying InDesign from the same series next week.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 9 Jun 2011
Roman (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
these books are really good, easy and effecient, i have always learnt from these and you can't get a better tutor than a book that is made by the people who make the program. highly recommended to all regards roman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Adobe Illustrator CS5 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
Adobe Illustrator CS5 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe)) by Adobe Creative Team (Paperback - 24 May 2010)
33.99