5.0 out of 5 stars Great how-to
I have all three volumes of Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book. I love his informal style of writing and this video is just the same (I even like his sense of humour). Many of the examples are the same as, or minor variations on, examples from the books and it is great to see the setup in a real "behind the scenes" way.

I definitely recommend this is...
Published on 15 Jan. 2010 by R. Danter

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm
To be honest I was expecting big things from this. To me, it was ok. The main gripe I have is, is it NOT a DVD at all and has to be ran from your PC or Mac. The first attempt to do this resulted in confusion, as the disk couldnt be found.
Once it was working properly the video content was very informative and interesting.

I would have preferred an...
Published on 22 May 2010 by Dade Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great how-to, 15 Jan. 2010
R. Danter (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photo Recipes Live: Behind the Scenes: Your Guide to Today's Most Popular Lighting Techniques (Paperback)

I definitely recommend this is you like the other books.

Just one word of caution, the DVD is a ROM, for watching the videos on your PC/Mac, not a regular Video DVD. The packaging is incorrect as it says it is a Video DVD, but DVD itself is labelled correctly as a DVD ROM.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scott Kelby describes many Pro lighting techniques, 21 April 2010
This DVD-Book combo is a companion to Scott Kelby's excellent "The Digital Photography Book" series volumes 1, 2 and 3. Each of these books included a chapter called "Photo recipes to help you get the shot". This DVD expands on the information provided in these chapters and takes you on a photo shoot recreating the lighting environment used for the original recipes.

The DVD needs to be viewed on a PC/Mac. I found the layout of the film clips on the DVD frustrating to navigate as each video clip is quite short in duration and you had to scroll to the next clip in the menu to continue watching the next recipe. There are 16 recipe clips in total on the DVD plus an intro in how to use the DVD and instructions for loading mp4 files e.g. for viewing on an iPod. The book is more of a booklet providing a summary of the information on the DVD and would be useful if you later wanted to go back and quickly find which recipe to review on the DVD.

The 16 recipes include:

11 recipes on various portrait styles and lighting.
1 recipe on shooting food.
1 recipe on photographing flowers.
2 recipes on landscape and panoramas - these are just discussions rather than actual on location shots.
1 recipe on product shoots.

Kelby describes all the variables affecting the quality of the shot e.g. natural light, studio light, distance and positioning of the lighting from the subject. There is an amazing amount of useful information covered in the recipes. However, to reproduce many of the setups you will need a large budget to have the equivalent lighting setups.

The packaging is a let down. The booklet is glued to the back of a large box containing the DVD which means the package takes up large amount of bookshelf space.

Overall an excellent way to describe how to setup a wide range of lighting techniques.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent info..., 3 Feb. 2010
Michael Ryan (Dublin) - See all my reviews
Excellent info, it does what it says on the tin....
very relatable and it really brings the normal staid text to life.

I can't fault the content , but the packaging is a tad OTT. Like some 90's software, far too bulky and the book seems irrelevant once you load the DVD. The tutorials seem more like a web page but this is is just being fussy, the content is King and this wins.

If you are looking for a hands on session with expert tuition, this is it.

But SK....Next time... redo the packaging

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - easy to understand.., 5 May 2010
Bilbo7000 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a competent photographer, I was not sure how I would feel about this book and DVD. Having watched it all, I am pleased to say that there were little tricks and pieces of advice that I did find useful.

This DVD and book are easy to follow, informal but informative, so whether a novice or with a little more experience, I think you would still find it interesting and useful.

The book is thinner than I expected, but that does not matter as it is still packed with information and is designed to support the DVD.

This may just be me, but the DVD did not play in my DVD player, only on my computer. I think this is because it is an interactive type set-up with chapters/tutorials. This may have been my DVD player (which is a few years old), or maybe the disc designed for the computer only.

I would have given this 5 stars, although I have given it 4 because I did not find any information about the DVD being computer playable only. I think that should be made clear. Otherwise, a great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, 23 April 2010
After reading some reviews, I decied to buy and give it a try.
In my oppinion the "recipes" are easy to understand and.
I think videos are better than words in some cases and
this is one.

I wish it had more recipes, specially out of studio, because
we often do not have room enough to get all studio stuff, and also
some recipes with speelights, you know, there are many people
that don't have those pro-softboxes and so on.

I also think the book is completely useless. I think the whole pack
would have been cheaper without the book and all packaging, just
the DVD.

Anyway, I would recommend to beginners who have no chance to go to
live training courses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 22 May 2010

I would have preferred an option to play the disk straight through rather than a section at a time.
The book seemed to offer new to what you got from the dvd, which disappointed I would have like more snippets, secrets and options in the book that they didnt have time to put into the DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 22 May 2010
A Kid's Review

3.0 out of 5 stars work book advice, 22 Feb. 2010
much cheaper than a training course but regard it in the same way take the video and the book and step through it over course fo a day.

then go practice.... lots!!!
ife you know nothing about lights but a vauge knowledge of terms its a great start, and if u have basics its a usefull refressher before you spend a hundered on a full day training course , but ide borrow rather than buy , you can get most of this on the strobist and entusiasts websites and the drip feed may mean your more likely to master techniques before moving on.to the next idea. good but not great.

5.0 out of 5 stars super great product, 1 Mar. 2010
Maria Gaston "cg113" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
scott kelby is fantastic, friendly, thorough and talented. this dvd/book shows you straightforward instructions on lighting set-ups. unlike other instruction books that are quite intimidating, this one just gives you the advice up front. it is also fun to see how casual the studio set up is and how relaxed the staff are in the videos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start point, 23 May 2010
De Ruitz Igor (Italy) - See all my reviews
Good start point on studio photography, leaves you with good tools and techniques to be applied immediately. Practice, exsercise and then proceed with a more advanced book.