5.0 out of 5 stars Another Kelby classic
Published on 23 Aug 2010 by I. Johnston

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have enjoyed other books from Scott Kelby, but this one was a big disappointment to me.

I have to say that while this book is excellent if you want to follow the Kelby way, it's not massively useful if you want to take control of lightroom and devise your own way of working with it (or figure out the options of how to).

Some bad points:...
Published on 1 Sep 2010 by Ben

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Kelby classic, 23 Aug 2010
I. Johnston "Hairy Nugget" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers (Paperback)
Scott Kelby's books (and other training work) were actually a significant factor in my choice of Lightroom over Aperture. If you are not familiar with Kelby's books on digital photography, Photoshop & Lightroom, you are missing out on a brilliant source of concise, well written, step by step guides to getting great results. Unlike many others, Kelby gives you actual numbers and settings - 'if you do this, this will happen. If you go above this number, then you need to watch out for this this & this happening' & 'if you want to get this particular result, enter these numbers and tick these boxes, because this does that, and this one does this, and if you want to try this then somewhere in this range of numbers is a good place to start.' Simple, practical, results oriented tutorials that really do get you there, but which also teach you the principles on the way, so you can work it out for yourself next time.
The Lightroom 3 book is another high quality, clear & concise guide - even if you have read the previous Lightroom books, this on is well worth reading - not only are the many new features in 3 covered well, but where the same ground needs to be covered as in previous books (inevitable if the guide is to be complete) it is done with different examples which avoids the feeling of deja vue very well.
If you are new to Lightroom or are a more established user but feeling you are not getting the most from it, this is essential reading. Together with Nathaniel Coalson's book (I have 'Lightroom 2 - streamlining your digital photography process') this book will provide you with pretty much all you need to get the best from Lightroom. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars I still don't like it and it's still the best., 8 Jun 2011
Scott Kelby writes books utterly rammed with irrelevant (smug, self satisfied) crap that still somehow manage to `cut the crap' when it comes to the job in hand. This series of books gets results where other books fail. It's just a question of whether you can handle the particular style.

Kelby is arrogant, but his arrogance works in his favour because his bullish style gets you places fast. It's like he's saying: "I know what you want to do, this is why you bought Lightroom, so here's how to do it: step 1, step2, step 3...." And then he follows that up with "I'm the best at Lightroom, this is how I do things and it's the best way, so ignore all the nuances and just look and learn: step 1, step 2, step 3..."

And it really works because despite the fact that the humour and style are grating, he's mostly right. I do - at this stage - want a book that says "do this, it'll work".

When I upgraded from Photoshop CS3 to CS5 I ditched the Kelby Photoshop book for the Martin Evening book.

When I've got my Lightroom project up and running and got all my photos imported, backed up, catalogued, key-worded and sorted in their shiny new system - which will take me no time at all because I'll be following Scott Kelby's recipes - I'll no doubt turn to Martin Evening again for a solid, well written, comprehensive, professional look at the development and outputting stages.

Ultimately, I do actually believe you'll need more than one book, but if you're a beginner then the sheer `get-things-done' practical usefulness of this book wins out over its ropey style.

This is the second Kelby book I've bought and despite my incessant need to moan about his style on the Amazon reviews section, I don't regret either purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars LR3 awesome book !!!, 27 Sep 2010
I have no experience of LR3 or any other previous versions, this was my first purchase of Scot Kelby`s books, bought because of the good reviews given by many other buyers. I`m not dissappointed at all, the best money I`ve spent on a application book. Easy to read, easy to follow, format is well laid out. Before the purchase I was just fumbling around with LR3, hardly efficient to say the least. But now my work flow is alot more smoother & productive, which is the whole point of LR3 !!!

Highly recommend this book to anyone that is new to LR & wants to be efficient in their photography work flow.

dinesh....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great,as usual., 26 Oct 2010
Pat Ahern "Patrick Ahern" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Scott Kelby does a great job as usual in LR3. Jump in anywhere, to any chapter, but if you are new to Lightroom, then start at the begining.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, which is good, 30 Aug 2010
Teco "tefocoto" (Madrid, Madrid Spain) - See all my reviews
I've enjoyed the previous versions of this book, and I enjoyed this one too. The only problem is that as you move up the ladder, as your technical skills with Lightroom improve, you'll find that the book has less and less things that really suit you. So if ypu are just starting with Lr3 this is a book you'll love, but also even if ypu have quite some experience, you'll still find lots of cool things you didn't know.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG Stop dithering and buy it....., 21 Mar 2011
Theres a lot of good stuff written about this book and Monsieur Kelby....It's all true I tell you....if I was a woman and could multitask I'd buy two...

On a serious note, I've enjoyed the book enormously and tagged a lot of pages for when I've had a little break from post-processing shots. SK covers the subjects well and my confidence with LR and post processing has improved a lot. In my opinion certainly worth the price tag - I've bought another book from the SK range as a result (for photoshop)...

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version - Excellent, 1 May 2011
I bought the Kindle version of this excellent book and I and very pleased with it. The book has a very readable style and with the Kindle version it is very easy to have it along side as I learn how to use Lightroom 3. Whilst the kindle version is B&W when viewed on the Kindle I did not find this a problem. There are references to 'as ringed in red' when referring to some of the screenshots but it is still very easy to follow. You can also read the Kindle version with Kindle for PC which is in colour. This is my first 'technical' kindle book and it is has been a good experience. In future I will buy the less expensive Kindle version and have it ready and searchable when ever I need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shedding Light on Lightroom3, 7 Dec 2010
Mr. S. Hyams (Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
Great book.
Easy to read style, page layout and font work for me - photos next to text. The descriptions are kept to small manageable blocks which makes comprehension easy.
I found the easiest way to manage a section was to read it though, highlight the important bits then go and sit with my Mac.
Im up and running with a brilliant piece of software.

I bought this having used books/videos/podcasts by Scott Kelby and am not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant & Funny As Always, 10 Oct 2010
G. Brown - See all my reviews
This is my second kelby book. The first was about elements and is still the book I return to for ideas in Photoshop. This book has simple sections and is written with that little bit of humour that helps you to remember things. What is really great about Kelby's writting it that he encourages you to have a go. Just pull that slider all the way... see what happens

4.0 out of 5 stars Well laid out, comprehensive, 7 Oct 2010
With a book like this it's difficult to review something until some months after you've finished reading it. It's only then that you know how much of a difference the advice contained within has made to your work. That said, this book is clearly laid out, logical in structure, easy to understand and a comprehensive work through LR3's excellent product set.

Recommended to novices and experts alike.

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers