on 19 July 2010
I bought Martin Evening's Lightroom manuals for versions 1 and 2, so it is testament to their usefulness that version 3 was ordered. It arrived over 2 weeks ago and has been in my hand at every possible opportunity since. One could expect that the latest version would be a repetition of what went before with sections added relating to new functionality, but I am happy to report that the book is virtually a complete re-write. I will not say that every nook and cranny has been revisited, but in the main, there are very few instances where a topic has not been enhanced.This mirrors LR3 itself, as few areas have escaped the quest for improvement.

As usual, Martin Evenings style is relaxed, chatty, clearly written and very informative, with useful examples to supplement the theory. I have to admit that I struggled to detect differences in a few of the before and after images, however this must be down to the printing process (and my ageing eyes). Perhaps more of the examples could be made available for download to assist readers in the identification of differences.

I found that the section on sharpening and noise reduction could have been a little more comprehensive, but note Martin's reference to the Real World Sharpening book by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe. This tome extends to 360 pages, and in fairness, the objective of this manual is to describe LR3 and not provide an exhaustive explanation of every underlying theory.

In a nutshell, in my opinion Martin Evening still wears the crown for the Lightroom manual, and by a considerable distance. It is a great initial read, obviously massively useful for reference purposes, and worth every penny. Although this manual would be immediately beneficial to intermediate and more advanced users, it should not be particularly daunting to novice users.

Highly recommended - buy with confidence.

Footnote : (added 24 July 2010)

Having now read the Real World Image Sharpening manual mentioned above and revisited Chapter 8 of the LR3 manual, I withdraw my initial comments. I imagined that the Bruce Fraser/jeff Schewe offering would contain more in practical terms than provided in this manual. Whilst RWIS goes to great depths to explain the background to sharpening, I find that the examples and advice provided in the LR3 manual to be as comprehensive and definitely on a par with those contained for Lightroom in RWIS. My apologies to Martin Evening and any potential purchaser who may have been swayed by my initial thoughts.

If it were possible to award 6 points for this excellent publication, that would be my assessment.
on 7 July 2010
A practical (and detailed) book on Lightroom3 and how to extract from photographic images the 'picture you saw' when putting the camera to work. Extensive coverage on creating and maintaing with ease of access a library, there are four more modules with tools that, in the main, do not call for additional software. I really like the section on Print. Even so, the real worth of this book is that it opens the mind to the many ways the tools can help one personalise and capture the way things are done and recalled thus simplifying the flow of work next time around. Of course, Photoshop CS5 does give something extra but for the non-professional it is highly expensive and difficult to justify. The Authour excels by giving plenty of photographic examples and snappy, informative side notes. These act as an introduction or as a reference. The text gives the detail. With over 650 pages and readable explanations I find this book (as I did with Lightroom 2) an essential.
on 21 July 2010
Firstly, I must admit that this book was a second choice as a result of Scott Kelby's book being unavailable (sold out before its release date). I bought Mr Kelby's LR2 book and thus was investing in the currently unobtainable sequel - but I digress.

Martin Evening seems to have an encyclopedic knowledge of LR3 with structured and clear examples of all the processes contained in the software. There are very useful 'tips' and 'notes' within the chapters which add a layer of understanding behind the methods and procedures discussed. LR3 is quite a beast and to the uninitiated could be quite daunting - Mr Evening breaks everything down with clarity removing this issue - well I thought so anyway.

I especially found the BW section useful and I am now using it in conjunction with the approach of Scott Kelby.

As I'm in a unique position of reading both authors on LR I would note that what Mr Evening lacks in humour (in comparison to Mr Kelby) he gains in explaining aspects of LR in more depth. The difference between the two is a matter of taste - as both author's seem to get to the same point but talking a different route. As a result I am in the position of using both author's approaches to develop my photos - which isn't a bad thing.

To conclude I would recommend this book - its very thorough and the author knows his stuff.
on 27 December 2010
Frankly, until version 3 Lightroom was no match - from my point of view - for Capture NX 2 from Nikon. As Nikon user, I got the best quality for my RAW files out of NX2 and previous LR versions simply were not up to NX2's color accuracy, sharpness and overall IQ. However, NX2 has a very serious flaw, its limited catalog management features that I hope Nikon will address in its future releases. Also, performance-wise in speed dragged behind previous versions of LR.

When Adobe announced the third version of Lightroom 3 software I gave it one more try. Huge difference ! With inclusion of camera profiles and a better RAW engine, differences between NX2 and this software are now minimal. So I bought it and used ever since because of better speed and catalog management features that makes it invaluable IMO. One drawback: a slight magenta cast thrown in shadows, but this is easily corrected via camera profiling (read on).

However, with power comes no-knowledge so I had to get myself some reference reading. Thus I bought this book some months ago and now, after I have finised reading it in detail, I think a proper review is mandatory. This is a perfect companion for your Lightroom steps, so I recommend it within my heart.

The book is dedicated to Bruce Fraser and I was impressed by the quality of the content within the 649 pages (print- and information-wise). The book does not come with a DVD, but is full of valuable examples, workflows, commented processing steps and updated content for Lightroom 3.

Content in brief:

1. Introducing Adobe Photoshop Lightroom; in this chapter you will learn about the design and structure of the software and its purposes. After a brief discussion on its place in the workflow (integration with PS), the author describes the prerequisites for installation, detailed installation guide, description of the interface and a quickstart guide to Lightroom; this chapter covers 41 pages;

2. Importing photos; This chapters spans over 45 pages; you will be briefly introduced to the source media for your imported photos: how to import from cards, how to copy as DNG, how to use copy, move, add functions and the differences between them. Then, the author describes in detail the import dialog screen: source panel, content area, destinations, file handling etc. Much appreciated are some personal advices from author's own experience regarding storing imported photos. Then, the author discussed the DNG conversion procedures and interfaces, and updating DNG; adding photos from folders to catalog, importing via drag and drop, importing to a selected folder, importing video files, auto imports and importing directly from the camera using tethered shooting are some final considerations in this chapter. Finally, the author describes organization of the images and image management by metadata.

3. Navigating the Library module; This chapter dissects the Library module of the application; sections: module panels, exploring the library module, lightroom previews, working in survey view (compare images), navigating photos via filmstrip and working with dual-display setup. Image ratings using picks, rejects, stars, color labels is the content of the next section of the chapter; finally, 17 pages are dedicated to filtering images in the library (criteria for selective display and search).

4. Managing photos in the Library module; This chapter has 88 pages and is focused on metadata and filtering images; the metadata panes, EXIF, IPTC, custom information metadata, how to edit this info and keywording are the section of metadata part; description of the filter bar, searches, attribute, metadata and custom filter searching, and collections are the sections of filtering part. Finally, the author provides some extra tips for advanced users (audio file playback, GPS metadata and embedding GPS metadata).

5. Working with catalogs; In 30 pages the author describes main topics concerning catalogs and working with catalogs. Topics like creating, opening, exporting, copying and merging catalogs are main subjects of this chapter. A discussion concerning relationship between catalogs and actual folders is provided in the end of the chapter.

6. Develop module image editing; This is basically the "postprocessing" part of the book. The most important IQ-wise and the part you should pay most attention. The chapter spans over not less than 160 pages and includes: steps for getting accurate color; quick develop panel and quick develop steps; the develop module interface and shortcuts (cropping, histograms, wb, vibrance and saturation, HSL, lens corrections, camera calibration etc); pages 340-348 provide a detailed description about creation and usage of camera profiles. This chapter is full of step-by-step approaches in image pp with practical examples and guides and many hints from author's own experience.

7. The art of black and white; A chapter dedicated to BW conversions; 26 pages; BW develop controls, temperature sliders, auto BW and fine-tuning BW images are some subjects from this chapter.

8. Sharpening and noise reduction; Not surprisingly, the author provides a separate chapter for this two important subjects. 28 pages; After a description of the differences and improvements in raw image processor in Lightroom 3, various sharpening techniques are discussed (presets, luminance targeted sharpening, supression techniques, masking and noise reduction).

9. The Photoshop connection; This is a chapter dedicated to interaction between Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop: opening images in PS, extended editing in PS, exporting from LR (presets, locations, file naming, settings, image sizing, output sharpening, metadata and watermarking) also adding export actions in LR and a quick discussion on export plugin -- all make the core of this chapter.

10. Printing; 40 pages; topics: the print module, layout style panel, image settings panel, multiple cell printing and picture packages, page setup and print resolution, prin job panel and 16-bit output. Moreover there is a discussion on custom profile printing that I find valuable for those that have issues with usage of custom printer profiles (pages 535-539) and saving settings as custom templates.

11. Presenting your work; This chapter spans over 58 pages and deals with creating slideshows and web pages with LR artwork.

Finally, the book has two appendixes: A - that contain LR preferences and B - that contain all LR settings.
The book is printed in full color on a very good quality paper. I warmly recommend this to anyone interested in integrating LR in own processing workflow.
Excellent book.

Warmest regards.
on 31 October 2010
LR2 I chose Scott Kelby's books, as many will know he is an acquired taste. For LR3 I thought I would try Martin Evening's style - big mistake This style is simply dull and boring. Surely training / educational books are supposed to draw you in and make you want to try the product. They should fill you with hope, ambition and above a feeling you can master this product. This fails miserably for me. I would like to say it actually covers everything you ned to know - but after 2 weeks of trying to get into it I am at page 55 as I keep falling aslee...... I suppose it is a case of "horses for courses" as they say. So the choice is Cheesy Scott or boring Martin. Your choice... or maybe there is an alternative if you are looking to undertsand LR3 either of these authors will do - if however you are looking to use LR3 and have played with LR before then try The Lightroom Queens [Victoria Brompton] Missing FAQ book - see my review of that its worth the visit
on 23 August 2010
Lightroom 3 is the first version of the software I have any real experience with. I had been using lightroom since the lightroom 3 beta, and once that beta expired I couldn't live without it. After about a month of using the real version, despite having a good feel for many of the basic controls, I still felt like some of lighroom's controls were just mysterious sliders and buttons to me, and I wasn't getting the full potential from my photos by clicking auto tone for a large proportion of pictures.

The complete guide really is very nearly complete. It goes into great depth about every area you need to know about. The very first time I opened the book and flicked to a random page, I discovered a feature I had never even noticed before on the interface.
The book explains the features and then takes you through a step by step example with screenshots for each step, clearly describing the effect of each one. It is very useful to see the examples of how multiple controls can be used together, such as the toning controls, to get the best out of your pictures.

I would subtract half a star as in some places I feel the level of detail is possibly excessive, listing all of the control methods more than once. But equally I believe I've noticed one or two keyboard shortcuts that aren't mentioned - such as using ctrl+shift to draw the horizon when cropping (I'll happily be corrected if I'm wrong about this)

The guide is up to date with lightroom 3 and even goes into detail about such features as flickr integration. For previous users of lightroom 2, it highlights areas where lightroom 3 has been improved.

Overall this book is highly recommended for anyone who wants to get the most out of lightroom, expert or novice.
VINE VOICEon 22 September 2011
Deciding which Lightroom 3 book to choose was frankly difficult. I knew, from my other Evening books, that Martins' style is direct and accurate with no room for humour. And then there's Scott Kelby, who writes like your sat next to him having a beer and he's laying out all the great functions and possibilities of LR. Written like that you'd expect that I chose Kelby's book, but no, Martin Evening won the tussle.

If you want a book that offers up humour and information rather than a style that delivers technical information in a dry written style, this book won't be for you...move on by and get the Kelby book.

Martin Evening takes you on a highly detailed journey of what Lightroom is all about from inception of the origins of the application right through to the absolute devil in the detail. This is the sort of book that I can get engrossed in for hours and I did.

Personally I don't mind the dryness in how the book is written. I thoroughly enjoyed the Develop section that walks you through examples of how and in which order you should approach using the sliders.

In short, if your learning style is more akin to a dry classroom then this is a superb book to purchase...I've read it three times since buying it. I'd go as far as to say that I adore this book.

Want a gentler read then pick the Kelby book which I've also now read but still don't own. It's also very good but I still prefer the Martin Evening book.
on 29 July 2010
As an amateur photographer I am into digital for more than 5 years and I already have a very good understanding of Photoshop and Nikon's Capture NX. However I wanted to switch to Lightroom 3 (on mac OS 10.6) as my new RAW processor and especially getting the best tool for importing and managing photos. The book is an excellent guide for this. It allowed me to get a very good understanding of LR3. Thus I imported my complete stock (nef, tif,jpeg,psd) of studio and landscape pictures (> 10.0000 ) into Lightroom and added the metadata. As far as the developing module is concerned it's a joy to use and here the book as well as the Lightroom video tutorials are of great help.
I can only recommend this book to everyone looking for a complete guide on LR3, very instructive and a companion website with plenty of movie tutorials, pdf's and sample images.

Serge Goetzinger (Luxembourg)
on 24 September 2010
A friend of mine suggested I investigate Lightroom 3 as something "to get your brain round". As Martin Evening's book was available as an Adobe title I bought it and started it before I was able to play with my friends Lightroom. The book is put together in a well considered fashion and, as yet, I have not been able to fault it's treatment of any part of the subject - explanations are clear and concise supported by multiple screen captures. The only criticism I will make is that I find the type size a bit small: but this is one of the best reference works that I have bought in recent years - if you are working with Adobe Lightroom 3, then you want The Adobe: Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book by Martin Evening on the shelf.
on 15 October 2010
I have read some other books by M Evening which I enjoyed and learned a lot from. This book is simply describing button for button all functionaly of the software. It is not specifically aimed at photographers, nor does it focus on any specific content. How you change the font of the logotype shown at the upper left corner of the screen is desribed with the same level of detail as the Develop module. If you are new to Lightroom this is an OK book, but I think there might be better ones out there...