5.0 out of 5 stars Still the Doyen of Lightroom manuals
I bought Martin Evening's Lightroom manuals for versions 1 and 2, so it is testament to their usefulness that version 3 was ordered. It arrived over 2 weeks ago and has been in my hand at every possible opportunity since. One could expect that the latest version would be a repetition of what went before with sections added relating to new functionality, but I am happy to...
Published on 19 July 2010 by SgtDave

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a gripping style
LR2 I chose Scott Kelby's books, as many will know he is an acquired taste. For LR3 I thought I would try Martin Evening's style - big mistake This style is simply dull and boring. Surely training / educational books are supposed to draw you in and make you want to try the product. They should fill you with hope, ambition and above a feeling you can master this product...
Published on 31 Oct 2010 by J. Hoskison

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Depth and SCope, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers (Paperback)
I am of a generation that is used to reference books and I have a number of Martin's previous books on Photoshop and know that he is a pains taking author who tries his best to cover the ground thoroughly without being boring. Lightroom is not a difficult program to use and I have been using it from some time but when I upgraded to version 3 I thought that I would buy this book and am pleased that I did. As with any software, you tend to develop your own way of getting results out of it but, you may well miss out on better ways of working so reading a decent book on it may open up 'new to you' things and yes, I picked up a number of gems along the way.

Although I personally don't need to have a step through on installing the product, things like an explanation of setting your "preferences" once installed, are useful. Lightroom is neither complex nor obscure to use but it has an amazing number of capabilities and it is often in the little "tweaks" or thorough explanations of particular features that you can get some extra bangs for your bucks. This is a well written and illustrated book, if you buy Lightroom, do buy a copy, it will pay you dividends and you will rightly, consider yourself smart for doing so !

3.0 out of 5 stars It's only a User Guide, 15 Oct 2010
I have read some other books by M Evening which I enjoyed and learned a lot from. This book is simply describing button for button all functionaly of the software. It is not specifically aimed at photographers, nor does it focus on any specific content. How you change the font of the logotype shown at the upper left corner of the screen is desribed with the same level of detail as the Develop module. If you are new to Lightroom this is an OK book, but I think there might be better ones out there...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book ...., 29 July 2010
Goetzinger Serge "Serge" (Luxembourg) - See all my reviews
As an amateur photographer I am into digital for more than 5 years and I already have a very good understanding of Photoshop and Nikon's Capture NX. However I wanted to switch to Lightroom 3 (on mac OS 10.6) as my new RAW processor and especially getting the best tool for importing and managing photos. The book is an excellent guide for this. It allowed me to get a very good understanding of LR3. Thus I imported my complete stock (nef, tif,jpeg,psd) of studio and landscape pictures (> 10.0000 ) into Lightroom and added the metadata. As far as the developing module is concerned it's a joy to use and here the book as well as the Lightroom video tutorials are of great help.
I can only recommend this book to everyone looking for a complete guide on LR3, very instructive and a companion website with plenty of movie tutorials, pdf's and sample images.

Serge Goetzinger (Luxembourg)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book for reference, harder to use as a tutorial, 11 Aug 2011
Although experienced in CS5, I struggled to get my head around Lightroom using Martin Evening's LR3 book. I bought LR3 for it's photo organisation and management as well as a good way to process RAWs, and found the more I read this book the more confused I got. In the end I ended up doing a LR3 course which made it all very clear and now I use this book as a useful resource if I want more detail. It is well-written and has a good index. So, to summarise, for a LR novice it's probably not the ideal 'teach yourself' book unless you have plenty of time and patience to wade through it experimenting as you go, but to answer questions once you are familiar with LR, it's very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reference, 13 Jun 2011
I knew that Lightroom had hidden depths, but needed a formal reference book to reveal them - which is exactly what this book does. Its strength lies in the fact that it gives a well explained overview of how the program can and should be used, coupled with textbook style detailing of all the components. As my knowledge increases I find that I keep referring back to the relevant sections, and not only has workflow improved dramatically, I now have much greater confidence in using some of the more powerful features. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Processing raw images, 16 May 2011
Stanley Gray "frenlect" (Nantwich Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This is a thoroughly comprehensive manual aimed at professional photographers and very experienced amateurs. I am currently wrestling my way through it and have to admit that it is not the easiest task I have ever had to contend with. Gradually, I am beginning to come to terms with the most elementary aspects of raw processing. A reference book for the committed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightroom 3 Sidekick, 14 April 2011
T. Shah - See all my reviews
I have been using this a while and along with the lightroom help, this book has helped with 90% of things i have been stuck with, so overall its a good buy. Have it next to you when using lightroom it can help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightroom 3 - how to do it all!, 28 Feb 2011
Michael Knight (Luxembourg) - See all my reviews
A great book - with clear and informative instructions. It will take me months to work my way through all the possibilties - but rest assured this book will be at my side whenever I open Lightroom - I'd be utterly lost without it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 18 Sep 2010
As a newcomer to LR I was looking for a book that would show me all the features that are not obvious from using the product and I am pleased to say that this book does it all. It is very well written and I have spent many lunch hours at work just reading through the book. As well as this the book works well to dive into to solve various problems. I like the way the book can be used to show the different ways to achieve an objective and the author goes on to describe which of the ways he chooses to do something and why.
Strongly recomended

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightroom 3, 30 Aug 2010
Ms Dl Johnson "maxblack" (England) - See all my reviews
I've had all of Martins Photoshop books and they have proved an invaluable companion in uncovering all of the programmes secrets. You may want to skip through a lot of the Library module chapters if you arn't a wedding/product photographer but overall this is a really good book when used in conjunction with online video tutorials, clearly laid out and presented by a working photographer.

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers