4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction
Published on 28 Aug. 2009 by Robin Shipp

3.0 out of 5 stars my impressions of this book
I don't know what to think about this book... The subtitle of this book is 'A complete introduction to the Python language' but I must say with this book I realised how many different meanings this can carry.

Published on 15 Mar. 2009 by M. Kovac

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 28 Aug. 2009
Robin Shipp (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
Not a bad book. I already had the O'Reilly "Learning Python" book. At the end I knew a lot but there wasn't much I felt I could actually do. I'm only just getting into this one but it has a much better feel (and it covers version 3). Summerfield gives you useful examples at the end of each chapter. I think they are on a supporting website but you learn much more about the syntax by actually typing them in yourself. He then sets exercises which invite you to extend those examples by adding extra features, tidying up the output and so on. That seems like a really good way to handle learning a language. Python is a really nice language. My books on Java are gathering dust now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Python3 Programming, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python Language (Developer's Library) (Paperback)
This book is a comprehensive introduction to the python language ,well set out and explained .Ideal for the home
hobbyist as well as the professional.I think that some provisional knowledge from previous experience though is
needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book Poor Title, 10 Jan. 2014
This is a good book. I've found it very helpful in learning python. I see some people complain it doesn't mention difference between 2.x and 3 however read the name "Programming In Python 3". Where the title is a fail is "A Complete Introduction to the Python Language" My view is that to use this book with some comfort you need to have some previous programming experience and knowledge esp object orientation as Python is very OO

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint-hearted, 27 Nov. 2014
This is definitely a book for the professional programmer and the university student. If Python is your first computer language this is not the place to start. Having programmed previously in Smalltalk, Java and C# I found the style much too dense to want to work through it page by page, example by example. The word 'complete' in the title means what it says and this is a strength as well as a weakness - a strength because almost everything you need to know about Python is in here somewhere, a weakness because if you don't work through it sequentially it may be hard to find exactly what you want. However, having read through most of the tutorial in the Python official documentation, I was then able to use this book to explore Python programming in more detail and to dip into to find help on specific areas such as exception handling, threading and testing. If you are a serious programmer intending to use Python you need this book but not as your only guide to the language. If you are starting out, Kenneth Lambert is probably a much better guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reference yes; Introduction no, 24 Jan. 2010
As other reviewers have noted this book takes the same approach as Lutz (Learning Python). It does a much better job at providing a reference for Python development than it does at introducing Python programming to novices. As long as that is what you are looking for go for it.

Beginning Python (Norton) is better if you are looking for an introduction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to Python, 11 Dec. 2012
Jakub Jarosz (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
It's good intro to Python for someone who already has experience with programming. As others mentioned would be great if the book had more code samples. What I like the most is a clear language and the layout. I wish "The Python Standard Library by Example" had the same, clear layout and used less font types. I am satisfied with my purchase!

3.0 out of 5 stars my impressions of this book, 15 Mar. 2009
M. Kovac (London, UK) - See all my reviews

Don't get me wrong, this book DOES introduce you to Python 3.0 but it's more like learning about a foreign cuisine by reading recipes instead of visiting restaurants. An experienced chef may know what a certain combination of ingredients will taste like, but a mere mortal is left puzzled. The book shows you concepts, ideas, new things in the language BUT you don't actually get to write anything interesting. The book assumes you already know what you'd use a particular concept for and it doesn't bother with practical examples.

This was not how I had imagined a 'complete introduction'. This 'complete introduction' also requires a prior programming experience (at least a semester of programming in any language I'd say). And some of the later chapters in the book are a so superficial <and|or> impractically explained they're not even worth reading. e.g.: networking

"Chapter 13: Introduction to GUI programming" starts with author explaining how bad Tkinter is compared to QT or GTK and then continues introducing you to Tk. Why on earth would you first discourage people from using something and then write a chapter about how to use it?

I'm giving the book 3 stars but I can imagine that for an experienced programmer wishing to give Python a go, this book may be just the right thing and they'd give it 4-5.

note: Please click on the comments below see the discussion about this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars quite an easy but powerful language to learn and use, 16 Mar. 2015
quite an easy but powerful language to learn and use. very handy for making figures etc. in DAZ studio CGI graphics program(free from DAZ)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, 5 Jun. 2014
As we've come to expect from Mark Summerfield, an excellent and thorough exposition of Python 3, keep up the good work!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to Python 3., 19 Dec. 2014
A. J. Gauld (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Good intro to Python 3 for either the complete newcomer to Python or anyone moving from v2 to v3.