5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Book, Essential Reading For Designers
Published on 29 Jan 2010 by AJ Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good - as far as it goes...
If you're a student, a newly qualified designer or someone who wants to explore how to approach a design objective then this is a great book. It's well written, the examples shown are great and some of the tips are really useful. Really useful from that perspective. I particularly liked the reproduced initial sketches etc

Why then, only three stars? I'm...
Published on 8 Mar 2012 by Jeremy

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Book, Essential Reading For Designers, 29 Jan 2010
This review is from: Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities (Voices That Matter) (Paperback)
I work for a design agency in Nottingham as well as doing freelance design, and I handle a lot of identity work. This book is absolutely invaluable for anyone looking to either specialise in this sector of the industry or improve the work they produce, and I wish a lot of the advice that's in the book was given to me earlier in my career. IT is full of that simple common-sense that you kinda feel is the right thing to do but you just need to hear it from someone else, if you know what I mean. It's insightful, reassuring, and written in a great 'no bull' way. It's great for students and industry veterans alike and I'm looking forward to seeing how much it improves my own logo work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for any budding designer, 28 Jan 2010
Badger (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book, full of insite into the depth and thought behind logo creation.

It truly inspires you the reader to be more creative and to think from another more exciting level when thinking about what is behind a logo or visual identity.

It gave me back my spark for everything I love about design, and made me want to get my notebook out and start doodling.
The section on the design process is especially thought provoking and useful, and really shows you how when designing a logo you must start from the ground up with mind mapping and sketching out your thoughts and ideas before diving straight in, by mapping out your thoughts and ideas you can come across angles you may not have noticed.

Not only does this book take you through the design process and how to "think" like a logo designer it also has many practical tips on working with clients, from the initial pitch to final project completion.

A great book, by a great clear and concise writer.

Be warned if you buy this book you may well find yourself analysing all those well know logos out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Awesome, 3 Feb 2010
ash ash (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
As a design student, I've been constantly adding to my library of books during the years of my study. Some have stood out and have been read thoroughly, however some have been left for the next rainy day. But since arrival of this book, there hasn't been a day gone by that I haven't referred to it. It contains well known icons, but also includes some I'm completely unaware of. This book has taken pride, not only on my bookcase but on my desk.

I would not have second thoughts of repurchasing this book, and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone; clients, students, designers and anyone interested in well written literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for those rebranding or setting up a business, 12 Jan 2010
This book delivers a very clear guide into world of logo design. Small business owners that are setting up or want to jazz up their logo should use this book as an instruction manual and follow the rule to create generate timeless brand recognition.

Reading this book also means I look at company logos in a different light. Whereas I was previously subconsciously being 'sold' a message by a logo, I now try and decider what that message is. Does this logo represent class or discount?!

Great read and very clear, if you're interested in logo design this is the best guide out there...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for someone who isn't a graphic designer, 14 Jan 2010
Mr. Christopher Brind "brindy" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This is one of those books that looks, feels and smells great! I'm no graphic designer so don't feel particularly qualified to judge this book but even just flicking through the pages was a revelation to me. On closer inspection it is easy to see that this book contains a comprehensive analysis of some of the most well known logos. As the book goes on you gain an insight in to the mind of logo designers, which for someone without any art or graphic design training, but a longing to be more creative is extremely useful.

The book also contains information on how to get a free electronic version of the books as well, which was an unexpected but welcome bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any graphic designer, 6 Feb 2010
After following David's blog throughout my college course I was thrilled when this was released. The information is essential to anyone looking to work freelance and learn about creating great brand identities. The book has inspired me immensely and it has some brilliant examples and explanations to some of the best logos out there. I have already seen massive improvements in my work and I look forward to, hopefully, a bright future in design.

Definitely a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone interested in design, 2 Mar 2010
Con Kennedy (Dublin, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
I had this book on pre-order and was quite excited to see it published as I've been reading David's excellent blog for a long time. When the book arrived I was not disappointed, it's written in a very informal and informative way. You feel you are there speaking with David himself.

Logo Design Love gives a great insight to the process of creating identities for your clients and offers useful tips for recent graduates and old hacks alike!

The book is packed with great advice for all ranging from dealing with the dreaded 'design by committee' to the tricky questions that clients may pose. Logo Design Love is not yet another 'answer book' but truly gives an insight to the process of creating identities and discussed the pitfalls you may encounter and how to avoid them.

What I particularly liked about the book is the way David discusses how, in retrospect, assignments may have been approached in a better way and as a designer you are continuously learning from your work. For me, many other books on design simply show the end result, Love Logo Design takes you through the process and gives invaluable advice along the way.

It's must for anyone interested in logo design and I even recommended it to a design student this afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Guide & Source of Inspiration., 12 April 2010
I. Fergus (Ayr, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I had been looking forward to reading "Logo Design Love" for some while now, I purchased the book through Amazon, and last night I finally had the chance to sit down a read it.

Now, firstly, I would like to blame David for my lack of sleep last night. His damn book kept me up later than anticipated as I couldn't put it down and finished it in one sitting.

The book featured an interesting insight in to the creation of several logos, good advice on how to approach a design, and most importantly for me, how to deal with clients.

"Logo Design Love" has given me a lot of ideas, useful tips, confidence, and also added to the desire to progress as a designer.

A lot of the tips in the book will lend themselves to other areas of design too, and I would recommend it to anyone starting out in design, as well as to those who are already active.

Top class!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence through simplicity!!, 28 Aug 2010
R. Magee - See all my reviews
I honestly cant recommend this book enough!As a freelance design professional and lecturer in design, i can see no end to the potential value of this book!
David Airey has put together an invaluable insight into his process that underlines the importance of generating ideas and the questions you should be asking your clients and yourself during any design project. Yes it is specifically geared towards log/branding but the informtaion here applies to any field of design, the process remains the same.
You'l find case studies of sucessful logos and branding solutions, informative and inspiring approache, techniques and and questions that will forever enhance how you apporach your work!....and very very simply explained. Great work David!
A must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly book, 17 Feb 2013
I came across this book by chance, downloaded a free chapter and after reading, I decided to get a copy of the book. I found it difficult to drop the book after reading the first chapter. The language is simple, concise and easy to comprehend. Great book for designers. Thanks David.

Used & New from: £19.55