5.0 out of 5 stars A practical guide to using the software
Published on 8 Jan. 2010 by Paul Sloane

3.0 out of 5 stars No mac first chapter? Shame on you.
Published on 16 April 2010 by Mr. J. C. Coutts

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical guide to using the software, 8 Jan. 2010
Paul Sloane (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Photoshop Elements 8 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (Paperback)
This book is excellent for users who want to know how to use the software to its full. It guides you through how to do tasks and you can download files that he has used in the book so that you can do it at the same time. Once you've practised you can then have a go on your own photos. It's a useful book to keep going back to to refresh your memory and the step-by-step instructions and writing style are very good.

You realise just how good Photoshop Elements is and what you can do with it - within a couple of days I have made a couple of images that look superb (well I think so and am even getting them printed). It also makes you think more about what pictures you take, because you understand how you can edit them later. If you've got Photoshop Elements 8 get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars phewww ! at last i can get to grips with the elements, 23 Mar. 2010
I have never used any kind of photoshop before. I got elements 8 , because after reading loads of reviews, it was recommended to a novice. Hearing that it can all be very complicated i went out and bought the dummies guide to elements 8. I realised i am a dummies dummy. The book didnt help. I am impatient, generally trying to run before i can walk. I bought a previous scott kelby book on digital photography before and knew his style of explanations helped immensely, so i took a chance, realising the dummies wasnt helping and bought scotts elements 8 book. Brilliant ! simple, step by step and precise explanations of exactly what i want from elements.With the simple instruction i have developed the confidence to stretch my experimenting with the system outside of whats in the book. My photos are becoming rich now !

5.0 out of 5 stars Some day my prints will come, 11 Jan. 2010
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a superb guide to getting the best out of Adobe Photoshop Elements 8. Photoshop is a hugely powerful bit of kit - and the fact that it is used by so many professionals is evidence of this. But with that power and choice comes complexity and getting the best out of the software - or even knowing what you can do with it - is not easy. True there are a number of books on the subject - but most are set out by feature. That's fine if you have a bit of knowledge to begin with. Where this book excels is that it takes you through project by project explaining all the steps and - importantly - shows decent colour images of before and after results so you can really see what you are doing.

Each project is prefaced with a chatty, tongue in cheek, very American style intro - I found them amusing - some will not, but in that case, don't read them! The projects themselves are well laid out and explained and really do make things very easy. That's the strength of this book - it's totally user-friendly and unthreatening despite what it is teaching you is often quite complex. Some of the issues dealt with are quite simple - but others are really detailed and will almost certainly help you to get a professional looking image. Plus it's well worth reading before you head out to take your pictures as knowing what you can and cannot do in processing is a real help to taking better images in the first place. This is a terrific book for beginners right up to experienced photographers. Fantastic.

3.0 out of 5 stars No mac first chapter? Shame on you., 16 April 2010
Mr. J. C. Coutts (Aberdeen UK) - See all my reviews
After reading the reviews I bought the book, listed at nearly £30 - only to be flabbergasted when I had to print out my own first mac chapter! This was 55 pages - and not mentioned anywhere till I read the intro. As it is sold as a mac/pc book, this is unforgivable. Why not have a mac or pc version? This started me off badly with a bad first impression. Why oh why are we led up the garden like this? No excuse, just sharp practice. Joe C

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! - thankfully!, 26 Mar. 2010
PSE8 can be a somewhat overwhelming mystery to the newcomer. This book, praise be, cuts through the complexity and clearly tells you "How to do it" with endless high quality pictures to demonstrate what's happening on screen. Fantastic. However, be warned: it makes PSE understandable but not necessarily easy. There are features which I have gone through "by the book" and a few days later when I return to it still can't recall how to do it without referring back to the book! And I'm still struggling as to why there are separate (and quite different) Camera Raw and Photoshop Editor environments. I suppose there still has to be some mystery!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written easy to follw manual, 8 Feb. 2010
Paul Foster (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
Well written, easy to read and simple to follow. Only drawback is that it does not cover the use of layers which for me was a big missing chapter.

Good basic manual for anyone starting to use elements 8

5.0 out of 5 stars The Photoshop Elements 8 Book for Digital Photographers, 28 Jan. 2010
James Wilkins (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have to say I am not entirely in tune with Scott Kelby's sense of humour which he frequently brings in to play, fearing perhaps that the book will otherwise be somewhat dry, but it would be OK by me without it. Continuing the theme I also have to say his dedication pages are also a little over the top for my English taste! That aside this book like his The Digital Photography Book volumes is excellently written & presented. The procedures to follow in an endeavour to improve your photographs are clearly given on an easy to follow step-by-step basis & the professional tips he offers along the way are invaluable. Both he & Matt Kloskowski (his co-author on this one) undoubtedly have an in depth knowledge of their subject & (which is not always the case with experts) are able to communicate with us lesser mortals on our level without being patronising or using jargon without explanation. If you are thinking of buying Photoshop Elements - or even if you already have it, this book is well worth your consideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to use Photoshop Elements 8, 22 April 2010
Slim Pixman (Bradford W.Yorks.) - See all my reviews
As usual Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski have produced a very good book on the subject. However, I found it rather long winded. I would have prefered it had been edited better to make it more concise. This would the book more workable. Having to go through each chapter to do anything not very practicle. I would advise any purchaser to read the book first, making notes as you go.

5.0 out of 5 stars An important step-by-step guide to Elements 8, 3 May 2010
This is the second of Scott Kelby's Photoshop Books for Digital Photgraphers I have bought and used.(I also bought and used extensively Scott Kelby's book on Photoshop CS2) This is an excellent step-by-step approach to learning all you need to know about using the photo processing skills and tools featured in Elements 8. Everything is explained simply and graphically and includes the actual screen shots in colour that guide you through each procedure in improving your images. All of the sample images used in the book are downloadable from Scott's website to enable you to use his guidance without affecting your own images. A perfect guide to Elements 8 from a Photshop expert. Buy with confidence!Photoshop Elements 8 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)

5.0 out of 5 stars photoshop elements 8 for digital photographers, 16 Oct. 2010
I can't praise this book enough, it is a great read, so informative and easy to follow. I have read a few books by Scott Kelby and his mates and they have never failed to amuse and educate. Just brillilant and the service was up to the usual excellent standard that I am used to from Amazon. Thank you

Photoshop Elements 8 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)