I can say with some certainty that I've never read a text book which has made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.
This book changed that. It really opened my eyes to just how powerful Logic is as an audio production tool.

Published on 9 Oct 2010 by Jazzy Jeff

3.0 out of 5 stars It's really only a basic overview
So, the book is OK and covers most of the relevant features of LP, but overall it a bit of a let down for me. I use to work with cubase and also bought a book to guide me through it, and it covered a hell of a lot more stuff than this book and in greater detail.
Published on 10 Sep 2010 by Pete

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely, the most useful book I've ever read (for beginners), 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express 9 (Paperback)

The lessons are simple and easy to follow and are accompanied by project files on the enclosed DVD which truly allow you to gain hands-on experience of Logic almost immediately. Just to clarify, the DVD does NOT contain how-to videos, something that a few people have been disappointed by in other reviews I've read. Speaking from experience, how-to videos are a fat waste of time. I started watching a complete Logic video guide before buying this book only to realise that none of it was sinking in because I was zoning out in front of the computer screen. Surprise surprise, by the time I'd finished lesson one of this book I already felt I'd learned more than I did in the 2-3 hours I'd wasted sat watching the Logic video guide. Each to their own, though.

That aside, this book has been compiled incredibly well and it's clear that a lot of time and effort went into producing each lesson. The screen shots in the book match EXACTLY what I see on-screen and each instruction follows on from the last without ever leaving me in the dark or asking myself "what... are they talking about??". Aside from a couple of minor typos I really cannot fault this book.

BUT

Despite its 400-500 odd pages, it really is only a beginners guide. It covers the core components of Logic extremely well but left me asking a lot of questions. Fortunately, I guess that's why they wrote a followup book, Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro 9 Advanced Music Production: Creating and Producing Professional Music, so they could convince us to splash out yet more cash to satisfy our hunger to learn more.

Well, they convinced me.

5.0 out of 5 stars logic pro 9 guide, 19 Oct 2011
worked with cubase before, switched over to logic, and this book was the best kickstart i could get. if you've worked with DAWs before, you'll get through this book in a couple of days, and you'll feel like you've worked with logic forever. if you're new to DAWs, you'll spend atleast a couple of weeks with this book, but you'll be amazed of how much you'll learn. 10/10

3.0 out of 5 stars It's really only a basic overview, 10 Sep 2010
If you already know the basics of working with this type of recording software, forget it, there is no point in owning this book. Instead just read the little booklets and .pdf that came with LP and check out Sound on Sound pages (and other sites / forums) for more detailed explanations of key features in LP. If you are new to the game then it covers the features easily and well enough. Depends what you are after.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 2 April 2011
I've always been a casual user of Logic and this book helps me out loads when I want tips on mixing and different processes. A must have for beginners and those like me who would like to expand their knowledge of the software. It also comes with some brilliant lessons!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 7 Mar 2011
This is an excellent book and the best one I've ever purchased (regarding DAWs). I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Level One Certification, 14 Dec 2010
I bought this book for preparation to the Apple Logic Level One Certificate.
If you study it, you pass. That's a 5/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not fully digested yet, but looks just what I need, 30 Mar 2010
A. Freeman (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews
I've not gone through this yet properly, but from the couple of things I have looked at, it seems exactly what I need to be able to use Logic better, as I'm a beginner and need quite a bit of guidance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic, basic, basic., 20 Dec 2011
Mrs Quoad (Huddersfield) - See all my reviews
I'm not a 100% newcomer to DAWs / semi-DAWs, but might as well be. Previous experience essentially involves some dainty tinkering with Garageband (on iPad), Korg iMS-20 (again, iPad) and Nanostudio (again...)

So whilst I had the most basic understanding of track layout, interface, etc, I was essentially new to the programme. This looked like an indispensible addition, given I was going in with ignorance and enthusiasm in equal measures.

Yeaaahhhh.... So after ordering it, I began to have a more detailed look at the 'Look Inside' function. And, tbh, there's nothing in the first 252 pages that I don't feel REASONABLY ok with. I'm probably missing a fair few shortcuts, back alleys, and seamless ways of working; but there's nothing there that screams out 'YOU NEED TO COMPLETE THIS LESSON!' The final 3 lessons, too, look remarkably basic.

The book has now arrived. Four (or five) days later, I still haven't done more than skim through it, wondering whether or not it's REALLY worth the 20ish for the extra learning it'll bring.

It's also set out in lessons. Which rankles. Do I really want to go through a 2 hour lesson, using someone else's media / data in order to learn the Chapter 1 basics? Hmmmm... Maybe I do, tbh. Do I want an extensive lesson on the use of loops? Probably not, tbh. As a very self-directed PhD student, I'd far rather have a resource that I can dip into and out of.

It's probably worth mentioning that the Apple manual for LP is pretty staggering. I've printed out about 4-600 pages of it (so far), and've loved the level of detail it contains. It can be dipped into or out of, and comes with a handful of (admittedly brief and component / element-specific) tutorials.

Reading software manuals might not be everyone's cup of tea; but I'd urge you to at least look at Apple's offering before going ahead with this.

I can see the benefits. I can well believe that I'm missing out on a fair few conveniences, shortcuts, and useful working practices. But... this really does look like 400 extraordinarily basic pages. Even as a near-absolute beginner (and this is certainly my first full-on DAW), this is looking like it's pitched a little too low (and a little too structured) for my liking. I'm strongly considering a return.

4.0 out of 5 stars For beginners it's great, 29 Dec 2009
Mr. P. E. Rhodes (London, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book after upgrading from logic express 8 to logic express 9.
Originally I thought it was going to be a whole new look at the world of logic, but when the book arrived it was nearly the same as the logic 8 book. It does however have a few different exercises that are explained quite well, it also gives you some great demos to work on.
All in all a great book and well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 6 July 2010
If you want to get to know Logic, this really is essential reading. Through a series of practical lessons, supplied on the included DVD, you are taken through the basic skills and disciplines involved. It felt like completing a college course, and I've since ordered the sequel, Advanced Music Production, which I'm really looking forward to getting into.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xafa429a8)

Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express 9
Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro 9 and Logic Express 9 by David Nahmani (Paperback - 6 Nov 2009)
29.99