5.0 out of 5 stars A third great book and another angle on the topic, 29 May 2010
Paul Oldfield "Paul Oldfield" (Perthshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leading Lean Software Development: Results are Not the Point (Addison-Wesley Signature) (Paperback)
If I'm not jumping up and raving about this book it's because I've already read Tom and Mary's previous two books. While the second book was, in my opinion, brilliant; this is merely very good. The insights come thick and fast again; the stories to outline the points are again well selected. While the previous books were about the toolbox and the ways of thinking about Lean Software Development, this goes more into the enclosing context. This book is about the big picture. It gives us a framework for thinking, and starts populating that framework with challenging ideas. I heard Mary say recently, "In root cause analysis you know you've got to a root cause when you get down to a belief that is wrong". This book shows us where many of our beliefs may be wrong; how if we change our beliefs we may think in different ways, act in different ways and get different outcomes. The examples show where these different ways have been shown to be better, and guide us through the beliefs and thinking that led to the better outcomes. Somehow, I suspect that if I'd waited another couple of months until these ideas settle into my mind, I might rate this book equally with their second. But step back and look at the big picture - among all the other books on software development, this already ranks among the greats.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all who lead software teams., 15 Jan. 2010
Yet another great book by Mary and Tom Poppendieck. It follows on from their first 2 books, introducing more principles of lean software management.

This is a book for anyone managing a software team, dept or company. I'm sure the book will generate some good ideas and insights for your team, no matter who you work for.

For example, the book discusses Failure Demand ( the amount of time you spend doing things because the system doesn't work well - ie answering support calls and fixing bugs ).

As always this stuff seems obvious once it's been pointed out - but it isn't obvious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great advice, 10 Oct. 2013
When I am reading a technical book, I like to keep a pen handy so I can make my own notes in the book when I see something particularly interesting which I may like to flip back to at a later date. With this particular book, every page contains some of my own scribbles, so needless to say, this is a must read for any employee, aspirational manager or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Solid Poppendieck Contribution, 9 Mar. 2014
The Poppendiecks write great books for everyone involved in Lean and/or Agile value delivery. I recommend reading all books in the series (4 as of March 2014).