4.0 out of 5 stars Quark Xpress made clear
It's not often that a 'manual' impresses me, but this one did. Well laid out and user friendly, I found that I was learning new things quickly in a very easily digestible format.
Published on 30 Nov 2010 by Writer

Published on 9 Jun 2009 by Ms. E. C. Hayes

3.0 out of 5 stars QuarkXPress 8: Essential Skills for Page Layout and Web Design, 9 Jun 2009
This review is from: QuarkXPress 8: Essential Skills for Page Layout and Web Design (Paperback)
This book is designed both for those completely new to Quark and for those who have used an earlier version. I belong to the second category. I found it well indexed, clearly explained with plenty of diagrams. It introduces new features, including web-design. If you are looking for a support to take you through a project, or a reference to specific items, this book will do either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quark Xpress made clear, 30 Nov 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 16 Feb 2013
I needed this guide to help me find my way around Quarkxpress 8 and it fulfills that requirement admirably! Easily-understood, it walks you through the various aspects of this brilliant programme in a clear and concise manner and has been a great help to me in using Quark.

2.0 out of 5 stars Depends on what you want......., 11 July 2011
Geoffrey Darnton "ISbookreviewer" (Bournemouth, England) - See all my reviews
In one sense this book does exactly what its subtitle suggests: essential skills for page layout and web design. If that is unpacked, it means that when you are in a project and need to access a discussion about options etc., at that point, this book will probably help you.

However, that is not what I want to do at the moment. I want to write a book, probably using QuarkXpress. Also, I envisage that in the not so distant future I want to create a brochure, and a few other such artefacts. In this sense, the book is approximately hopeless for getting me started. There is nothing in the book that discusses what I will need to do for all the essential bits of the book I have in mind - front matter, chapters, back matter, book design principles, etc.

This book has all the aroma of having been written by 'techies' who have excellent experience of the features of the product. I'm still looking for a book that sets out overall workflows for the kinds of projects people are likely to have when using QuarkXpress. Once I have got going, I'm sure this little book will be of enormous help when I need to know options available at a particular point.

However....I even have an initial concern about that. I come from a SGML world and a toolkit that gave me excellent control over something like writing a book, including how to handle tricky maths formula, etc. In that toolkit, indexing is really easy. So I thought I would check, before embarking on my book writing project with QuarkXpress, how easy it will be to handle an index. I looked for something about Indexing in the index. There is an entry 'indexes' - it points me to p205 - I turn to p205 - maybe I can't see for looking, but for the life of me, I can't find anything about 'indexes' - nor on pp 204 or 206. Therefore, is it possible that this book was not created using QuarkXpress? - if not, why not? - is QuarkXpress not really up to the job of managing a book project? - and if it was used for the book, were the indexing features used? - if they were, something went wrong - if they weren't, why not? - was the index to this book created manually?

My confidence in the product had been dented by this book before I have started my book writing project!

4.0 out of 5 stars Clarify the use of Quarkxpress, 13 Mar 2011
It is easy to read and explain all the topics, but I would like to have examples step by step

QuarkXPress 8: Essential Skills for Page Layout and Web Design