I was already familiar with the fundamentals of CI/CD and was interested in gaining a deeper understanding so I could put it to use in my own projects. I was hoping for some typical copy-paste style guide that would allow me to adapt the examples for my own use. However, that's not really what I got!

This book breaks down the fundamentals of Continuous...
Published on 14 Dec 2011 by Sam Aspin

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely ok and too repetitive
Published on 24 Jan 2011 by Augusto

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb overview of the advantages and importance of the approach in this CD manifesto!, 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation (Addison-Wesley Signature) (Hardcover)

This book breaks down the fundamentals of Continuous Delivery (which arent much different to those of CI) into simple rules of thumb which as another reviewer pointed out wouldn't actually require that much space to list only once. What this book does instead is to explain in a very persuasive manner the reasons behind each of these rules and backs them up with real-life examples. I imagine I spent a lot of time nodding my head while I was reading this one.

Much of the book is made up of long-ish passages of text with the odd code-snippet and very few pictures, sounds rubbish, but trust me it's not! The code-snippets are written in a variety of languages but they provided the perfect starting point for me to go off and conduct my own research with the confidence I was looking in the right places.

Unlike many books this one may suggest a number of technologies for any given job and give you reasons to choose or not choose each. By following the principles in this book and adding a bit of my own research I was able to set up a fully-functional deployment pipeline using TeamCity and MSBuild. For my project I realised I wanted something even slicker than I had created and would probably require some outside help in order to achieve this. This book gave me an understanding of what I wanted that allowed me to quickly find the right man for the job and communicate exactly what I was after, firm in the belief that this would be money well spent!

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely ok and too repetitive, 24 Jan 2011
Augusto (UK) - See all my reviews
I found the book extremely repetitive, to the point that after the 4th chapter I started skimming through it, as there's no point in reading it all. I don't know if the idea is to repeat phrases until the reader buys into them, or what. I'm quite disappointed that Martin Fowler put his signature on this book. Maybe they're a big happy family at Thoughtworks ... and hey, they need to make money out of Go.

I don't rate this book as just 1 star, as it has some good ideas, but it could have been written in 150 pages (max) rather than 450. Some of the concepts that are repeated until boredom are:
- Don't build the binaries at each stage of the deployment pipeline, create them once an reuse them.
- The capacity testing environment should be as similar as possible to the production environment.
- Script everything!
- Don't let builds that fail unit or acceptance test into production
- Put all the configuration in version control (network, firewall, OS, etc)

I also found the book more directed to manager who don't really know or care about the technology, but want to talk "in techie" language to their engineers. There are too few examples of how to use technology to build a deployment pipeline and most of the talk stays at a very abstract level.

My bottom line, I strongly suggest to read some blog posts and watch some presentations (check infoq) about this subject, it takes less time and it's more enriching than reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Place to start, 7 Mar 2012
J. Swain - See all my reviews
Thinking about Continuous Delivery is a pretty daunting prospect in itself.

This book was exactly what I needed to put together a pragmatic and achievable plan to implement a project with Continuous Delivery. Clearly put together from real world experience and expertise, it is the place to start for guidance you can trust.

js

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 3 April 2011
M. T. Coote (UK) - See all my reviews
Readable and useful, practical content. The only gap is that there's not much information on the financial costs/benefits of the approach compared to more traditional methods. However, I wouldn't expect such data to be widely available yet.

There seems to be lots of merit in the approach described, not only in the build phase, but much more so in later lifetime stages of large systems, where most of the costs of ownership lie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, 26 Sep 2010
I wish I could have read this book years ago. It provides a comprehensive guide on how to go from software development to a working product, reducing the so called "cycle time", and at the same time reducing the risks always involved in releasing a software product in a production environment.
While describing the best practices in this field (mainly from the development point of view, but giving enough space to the Operations side), the authors don't limit them to specific scenarios, but keep the arguments generic enough to be applied to different development team sizes, product types, environment types. The main points are integrated with examples on actual projects which saw the authors involved: very useful to get a perspective on their point of view.
In my opinion the crucial point of this book is automated testing, which represents the first step towards the Continuous Delivery and "releasing with the push of a button".
Even if following all these concepts may be hard or not completely feasible for every project, knowing their existence and aiming to pragmatic satisfying them will lead to higher quality of the software and reduce the overall risk of releases.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book on CI and automation, 13 Sep 2010
Morten Frank "mfrank" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
Having worked with large software projects (financial industri) for many years this book has been great reading. The book covers many of the practices that we already have implemented in several projects but also adds more great ideas and good tips. One of the best things about this book is its complete coverage of the many aspects of CI, from development over environment management to monitoring of infrastructure and applications. The level is reasonably high, and it might be a difficult book for someone unexperienced in CI prectices. In that case I recommend reading Continuous Integration: Improving Software Quality and Reducing Risk (Addison-Wesley Signature Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed practice guide, 19 Mar 2014
I thought this provided a detailed and practical guide for those considering or starting out with CI/CD. For a someone like me who is more QA / testing focused the sections on automated acceptance testing provided a great deal of food for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read if you are new or want to be in DevOps, 16 Oct 2013
This is perfect book for a Great indepth introduction for your Devopsing.
Author has practical experience and they talk you through the approaches for CI and real life experiences.

Brilliant book, I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the greatest book, that I ever order!, 28 May 2013
Realy! And Jez Humble is a very interesting and extrovert man, I'm happy to meet him and read his book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold on paper, 4 Nov 2012
Rarely have I seen a book so full of teachings and so uniformly dense with knowledge. I have enjoyed it end-to-end and am here back for writing a review after quite a wile. The book will be accessible for business management people as well, and will give insight on the "why" as well as the how.
I mostly recommend it for teams of developers that are a bit cranky and stuck in their old ways.

The kind of book you buy multiple copies of, just to make friends or co-workers happy one day.
I would have appreciated it even as Christmas present !