on 7 November 2010
Nikon based but no complaints about that! This is easily the most readable "how to" photography book I've had and is very useful indeed. This will change how you view small flashes and get the most out of the SB900 but will also lead you into buying more kit - flashes, Lumiquest and Lastolite stuff, light stands and even assistants!
Stunningly well written.
Cheers
Graham A
UK
on 10 December 2015
great item
on 18 May 2009
Some good info here, my only gripe is the slightly crude and offensive language used throughout. Not necessary.
on 6 July 2013
Do not buy this book If you are a Canon user, the book is geared for Nikon only. So disappointed as I was hoping this book would at least tell me the fundamentals of flash photography, but he doesn't. He does a good job of describing how he composed a shoot but I want step by step instructions like" if you want to take this type of shot, put camera here, flash over there, change settings to this - and shoot", and all with diagrams or pictures. I was really hoping for an idiots guide. I also find his humour quite annoying after reading it a few good pages. Every now again it's ok but keep it simple - if I want anectdotes, I'd buy a comedy book. Clearly not a fan of Joe although he is an awesome phototgrapher!
on 27 April 2009
Superb read, really enjoyed reading it even though its ideal audience would be an Americon Nikon owner, which I am neither. For Nikon users I would imagine that this is a fantastic guide as it goes into so much depth with its equipment. Even though I use the Olympus system I have found this really inspirational and I feel that this is a book I can return to again and again, it has really opened my mind to the full potential of the speed light.
on 22 April 2009
This book is amazing... so informative and still, so so fun to read, full of real life examples of how to take the most wonderful strobe photography!
If youre into controled light pictures, this is the book for you...
on 2 May 2009
on 25 April 2009
Excellent detailed captures of Joe's photo assignments. You'll recognise a lot of them if you follow his blog.
on 1 May 2009
...and I don't even own a flash - nor am I a Nikon shooter.
Don't buy this book and hope to get schematics showing you to put your flash at precisely 35 degree angle to your subject, minus 1/3 ev compensation if shooting at 06.33 a.m to achieve this or that photo. Photo is an artform - not mathematics. It's about using your creativity, available ambient light and enhancing it with small flashes to achieve what YOU like/want.
This book is very well written with lots of good advice - and a quite funny read in general.
But first and foremost you it makes you want to go out and experiment...
on 15 October 2009
I read about this book on some forum or other and it seemed to be well received. I'm fairly new to flash as I'd spent 30 years shooting film/video and stills with continuous light, so I'm keen to learn as much as I can from anyone with lots of experience of flash.
However, I was extremely disappointed. The author is probably a good, workaday photographer that you can rely on to produce a professional end result. But he aint a great photographer by any stretch of the imagination, so for one reviewer to call him a 'master' is a gross exaggeration. The things he suggests are all pretty obvious and without a huge degree of creativity behind them.
On the positive side, I like his chatty writing style but if you're anything other than a beginner, the book won't teach you much at all, which is a shame as I was looking forward to reading it.