4.0 out of 5 stars Hot Shoe Diaries
After reading some of the previous reviews, I do wonder what some people expected when they bought this book...it's well known this guy exclusively uses Nikon kit, so it was always going to feature that company's products. I use Nikon at work (as a Crime Scene Examiner) and I've just gone over to Canon (EOS 5D MkII) and Metz for my private stuff, so I feel I can give an...
Published on 7 Nov 2009 by Spuds

3.0 out of 5 stars A nerdfest - both praise and criticism
Time was when hotshoe flashes were problem-solvers when there wasn't enough light or to add a subtle hint of fill. The most andventurous thing someone might do is stick one on a one bracket. Then Nikon's CLS and the Canon Wireless systems introduced the idea of using small flash creatively. Many photographers simply ignored this but people like Joe McNally picked up the...
Published on 15 Oct 2010 by TheBalancedReviewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for Canon, 6 July 2013
This review is from: The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes: Creative Applications of Small Flashes (Voices That Matter) (Paperback)
Do not buy this book If you are a Canon user, the book is geared for Nikon only. So disappointed as I was hoping this book would at least tell me the fundamentals of flash photography, but he doesn't. He does a good job of describing how he composed a shoot but I want step by step instructions like" if you want to take this type of shot, put camera here, flash over there, change settings to this - and shoot", and all with diagrams or pictures. I was really hoping for an idiots guide. I also find his humour quite annoying after reading it a few good pages. Every now again it's ok but keep it simple - if I want anectdotes, I'd buy a comedy book. Clearly not a fan of Joe although he is an awesome phototgrapher!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Speedlight bible, 27 April 2009
Mr. N. A. Foster (England) - See all my reviews
Superb read, really enjoyed reading it even though its ideal audience would be an Americon Nikon owner, which I am neither. For Nikon users I would imagine that this is a fantastic guide as it goes into so much depth with its equipment. Even though I use the Olympus system I have found this really inspirational and I feel that this is a book I can return to again and again, it has really opened my mind to the full potential of the speed light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute pleasure to read!, 22 April 2009
This book is amazing... so informative and still, so so fun to read, full of real life examples of how to take the most wonderful strobe photography!
If youre into controled light pictures, this is the book for you...

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Shoe Diaries, 2 May 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Blog diaries, 25 April 2009
Excellent detailed captures of Joe's photo assignments. You'll recognise a lot of them if you follow his blog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book and find inspiration - I certainly found it!, 1 May 2009
Carsten Kring (Copenhagen) - See all my reviews
...and I don't even own a flash - nor am I a Nikon shooter.
Don't buy this book and hope to get schematics showing you to put your flash at precisely 35 degree angle to your subject, minus 1/3 ev compensation if shooting at 06.33 a.m to achieve this or that photo. Photo is an artform - not mathematics. It's about using your creativity, available ambient light and enhancing it with small flashes to achieve what YOU like/want.
This book is very well written with lots of good advice - and a quite funny read in general.
But first and foremost you it makes you want to go out and experiment...

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for anyone other than a beginner, 15 Oct 2009
J. Kleinsteuber (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I read about this book on some forum or other and it seemed to be well received. I'm fairly new to flash as I'd spent 30 years shooting film/video and stills with continuous light, so I'm keen to learn as much as I can from anyone with lots of experience of flash.
However, I was extremely disappointed. The author is probably a good, workaday photographer that you can rely on to produce a professional end result. But he aint a great photographer by any stretch of the imagination, so for one reviewer to call him a 'master' is a gross exaggeration. The things he suggests are all pretty obvious and without a huge degree of creativity behind them.
On the positive side, I like his chatty writing style but if you're anything other than a beginner, the book won't teach you much at all, which is a shame as I was looking forward to reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of money, 21 Jun 2011
Maybe just a little bit interesting if you have Nikon equipment. For all the others this is indeed a lot of page filling Blah Blah Blah and drivel as reported elsewhere . If you have a Canon or just want a really good flash handbook then try "Mastering Canon EOS Flash Photography" by NK Guy

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if you are a canon user and can't be bothered sifting through drivel for information, 4 April 2010
If I could give it zero stars I might.
What could and should have been said in this book in a sentence or two runs on for half a page or often more, and the "humour" is stretched to say the least.
Just as frustratingly, and as someone else said, there is only information about Nikon - so as someone hooked into the Canon system, I feel a bit like I am having to translate from Japanese to English before I can figure out what he is going on about.

If you have Nikon speedlights and you have the time and more importantly the patience to sift through the endlessly annoying anecdotes and drivel that McNally throws in between every piece of information, then you might just figure out why other people are awarding it more stars.

As for anyone else ... I would find another book to inform yourself with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fanastic book but the supplier is terrible., 14 Aug 2009
Mr. C. Grundy "the-secret-poet" (Scarborough, North Yrokshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Books themselves are fanastic reads and recommend. Very informative and written in plain english for novice to advanced photog. But do not get these from The Book Depository as they come second hand and are no way near satisfactory to give to someone as a present! These books were for myself and even I find it a bit upsetting to place on the shelves with all my other new books