5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent especially for new users of InDesign
In order to prevent potential users of this book from being put off by the only other reviewer who gave this book just 1*, I feel I should make the following early observations (although I'm only on chapter 3):

Published on 5 May 2009 by Peter Stamer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 26 Jan 2009 by P. T. Landon

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Jan 2009
P. T. Landon (Bucks. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe InDesign CS4 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe)) (Paperback)
I've worked through a number of the "Adobe Classroom in a Book" series and usually found them authoratative and informative. Not this one! I started to work from chapter two. Within minutes, InDesign rejected one of the work files on the CD which comes with the book because it was made with a pre-release version of the software. Before reaching the end of the chapter I found two completely wrong instructions in the text. If I wasn't familar with InDesign CS2 I would be completely confused. As it is, I'm just very upset that I paid so much money for such a sloppy piece of work. Appealing to the publisher for updated working files to download, I'm told that they don't have any plans for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent especially for new users of InDesign, 5 May 2009
Peter Stamer (Wilts) - See all my reviews

In lesson 2 (p31), you are shown how the Metadata panel in Adobe Bridge can be used to view information about the document, including which version of InDesign was used to create that document. This indicated that the lesson's work file on the CD-ROM was made with version 6 of InDesign, which is CS4. So I didn't suffer the other reviewer's file rejection problem.

I'm not sure which were the `two completely wrong instructions in the text' that upset the other reviewer. What I did find was that in the section in lesson 2 (p33) on using Preflight (the handy utility that monitors your work for potential problems later on), you need to examine the completed work file on the CD, not the start file (which you are working on at that time) in order to spot the errors mentioned in the text. In addition, the text states there are 33 errors when Preflight indicates there are 40. After this, everything seems fine so far.

So why am I giving 5* when I'm only on page 61 (of 406)?

I have previously worked through the InDesign CS2 Classroom in a Book (CIB) on which this CS4 book is based and updated with, thankfully, new work files and a new lesson on `creating rich interactive documents'. This covers (so the Index tells me) adding buttons, page transitions, and hyperlinks, as well as exporting as Adobe PDF or Flash, and converting a print document for online use.

When I was working through the InDesign CS2 CIB I had never used InDesign before. I thought at the time how well written the book was as an instruction manual and really appreciated the real-world examples it used during the lessons.
I've bought many a book and magazine on the strength that it was going to help me achieve something I was having a problem with - frequently only to end up disappointed for some reason. However, whilst reading the CS2 CIB I was able to put the instruction into immediate use as I went along to create a multipage house sale brochure. Stealing layout and formatting ideas from the CIB and using the templates built into Indesign, impressive, professional-looking results came fairly easily. However, I found it helps to know exactly what you wish to write beforehand and then import the text as Word files.

If you're new to InDesign, I'd thoroughly recommend reading the book from the beginning and doing every exercise, or at least from lesson 3 where you create a document from scratch. The CD contains all the files you need. Each chapter is self contained so you could jump around to non-consecutive chapters to read whatever topics are of particular interest to you. This would be useful if you hadn't used the software for a while and needed to brush up on certain areas.

The instruction is thorough without being pedantic, to the point without taking you through mind-numbing menu options, and, as I've already mentioned, the work examples are actually useful, not academic. I voted with my wallet - but then I am a fan of the CIB series.

5.0 out of 5 stars CS4 work books - Amateur to designer, 8 Oct 2009
Mr. E. A. Thompson "Edhead" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
I work in marketing and had dabbled with most of the CS4 suite, however i never felt that i was utilising much of the potential and was considering working towards becoming a professional designer.

this work books have opend my eyes to some of the possibilities of the software and have increased my confidence and ability to the point where i am now teaching others in the office.

i throughly recomend these books as a stepping stone into design or as a way of improving your understanding and utilisiation of the software.

from these you can then progress to the 'Real world' books from Adobe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starter book for Indesign, 28 Dec 2009
If you're migrating from a Word / Pages / Publisher background then this book is an excellent reference as you'll already have a good idea on what most of the features mean - just no idea on how to do them in Indesign! Certainly if you are unfamiliar with the Adobe interface then this certainly sets you on the right track! The UI is very different if you're used to MS Word / Publisher or Pages and as such this book does an excellent of answering the "How do I put some text and change colours / add a drop cap?" type of question. The instructions are clear if somewhat brief and give you a good overview of what each of the panels / buttons do in each area. Thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adobe InDesign CS4: Classroom in a book, 9 Jan 2010
D. J. Wright "djwright18" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
Adobe's own guide to InDesign CS4.

Well written with progressive skill development, but can be used by looking up specific topics.

Comes with a CD with examples to work with and easy to follow 'lessons'.

If you are new to InDesign or want to improve existing skills, this is the book for you.

See: Adobe InDesign CS4 Classroom in a Book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good tv picture., 9 Jan 2014
We enjoy this tv very much, it would help more if we could have a full program of facilities and uses. I know it says to download it from the web but even Toshiba does not name the tv in its repertoire. I suppose it is gueswork.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven sent, 10 Jun 2010
R. S. WALLACE "Octogenarian" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
This book is absolutely invaluable. It has opened up a completely new world for me. At first I used it as a reference book, looking up subjects as I needed when a problem arose. Using the book as the author intended has given me a foundation and has spurred me on to keep on learning more. The author's way of teaching takes nothing for granted and leads one on by easy steps, explaining everything. Having been an ardent apostle of Adobe PageMaker, which I have used for many, many years I got into the way of thinking PageMaker only. This programme seems to have taken a 'quantum leap' and, with this book to guide me, along with my assuming the role of a 'beginner', the future is certainly something to look forward to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Adobe InDesign CS4 Classroom in a Book, 26 Mar 2010
Hard work to follow and not particularly user friendly. Have found it quite frustrating and not a book I would recommend unless you want a headache.

5.0 out of 5 stars InDesign CS4 Classroom in a Book, 26 Dec 2009
Lee Faber "fablee" (England) - See all my reviews
The Adobe books are so good. And the product is superb as well. I've been using Adobe since the first release for Windows and now on my Mac wouldn't have anything else

Adobe InDesign CS4 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
Adobe InDesign CS4 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe)) by Adobe Creative Team (Paperback - 27 Oct 2008)