4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, but watch out for errors
I read this book in preparation for reading further iPhone and Mac programming books.
I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to learn the Objective C 2.0 language. The author makes no assumptions, however I am glad I already know the C language before reading this as there are some areas where concepts are introduced without much explanation...
Published on 24 Mar 2009 by S. Billingsley

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to Obj-C
An excellent introduction to Objective-C programming.

Published on 18 Feb 2009 by bern

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, but watch out for errors, 24 Mar 2009
S. Billingsley (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming in Objective-C 2.0 (Developer's Library) (Paperback)
Additionally, there are quite a few errors in the text, for example mixing up NSLog and printf - some of the examples seem to have come from a C language guide and modified for Objective C.
However, these are not too numerous and do not detract from the useful information.
Some additional details on the Objective C 2.0 language features would have been nice, such as further explanation of the 'dot' notation (how it works behind the scenes) and the options available for properties - including examples of the different styles. However, as this guide is aimed at the beginner I can accept these omissions and the book does suggest that further information can be found on Apple's developer website.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to Obj-C, 18 Feb 2009
bern (Stockport, UK) - See all my reviews
An excellent introduction to Objective-C programming.

However... I suspect it'll be a bit heavy going for the new programmer. A knowledge of another programming language (C) is definitely an advantage. Also, as with the previous reviewer, I find the high volume of typographical errors (in the program examples as well as the text) really irritating [minus two stars for this].

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality control, and not exactly for beginners..., 10 Feb 2009
B. Calder (UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst the blurb on the back suggests this is suitable for "a new programmer who wants to learn Objective-C as their first programming language" I would beg to differ. Most introductory books have the sense to introduce basic concepts such as data types, loops and conditions, before overwhelming the reader with Object Oriented Programming concepts. As such I think a novice would find it pretty hard-going.

Having said that it's definitely useful when moving from another OOP language: the Objective C syntax is very different to what I've learn in Java and Python. If, like me, you prefer to have a book at hand rather than referring to online material, then it's also going to be useful, however...

I must admit I'm only 80 pages in, but I'm far from impressed by the quality control: it looks to me like they've rushed it out and it hasn't been properly proof-read. There are some pretty substantial errors that are likely to confuse the beginner (and had me scratching my head at points). A couple of examples:

"1.7e4... represents the value 1.7 x 10 ^ -4." (p.51) At first I thought the minus sign must be a misprint, but it's printed exactly the same way on an example where there should have been a minus.

"...before multiplication by the value of Objective-C (25)." (p.58) Where 'Objective-C' was obviously meant to be the variable 'c' in the example above this text but must somehow have been auto-completed to 'Objective-C'.

These are the kind of obvious errors that should have been picked up during a proper proof-reading and really don't inspire confidence. I just hope that at least the example code has been properly tested!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have to return the favor - Go for it., 19 May 2010
S. Banda "A Boy Named Su" (London, England) - See all my reviews
At the moment I'm only half way through the book, but I've gotten through this half in about 4 days. I have an understanding of Java, C++ and I'm a PHP developer, but I'm quite convinced that even if you're coming from a non programming background this book would be a great place to start learning objective-C.

The language used is very friendly, each line of code is explained and important points are constantly reiterated throughout the chapters - almost annoyingly so - but it definitely sticks in your head.

I had started reading Learning iPhone Programming: From Xcode to App Store by Alasdair Allan, and though it's a good book I still found it very high level and without a proper understanding of objective-c and how classes and code are structured, any apps developed would have been more by hacking bits of code from tutorials together than from a fundamental understanding of how the framework works.

This book perfectly bridges the gap. Already I can structure iPhone applications in my head even before I start coding.

Thank you all for your useful reviews, that helped me choose the right book, and for anybody still looking to buy a book, I hope I can contribute towards convincing you that this is a great first book to buy.

Happy Coding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book with impressive support, 10 Sep 2009
The author has set up a forum for those using the book to learn Objective-C and is active in it. I posted in the forum last Saturday and the author responded within hours: this is a tremendous service, in my view, and free of charge. It is also interesting to learn from other people in the forum, and means that the learner need not stay stuck if the author's meaning is not clear.

As earlier posters have said there are too many printed errors, but you can download errata PDFs from the forum.

At the moment - on page 48 - I think I will be able to work through this book. This is encouraging, because I have made four previous attempts to learn to program OS X and gave up confused early on.

I do not know of any other books that teach Objective-C without prior knowledge of C or C++. If you don't know either of those languages I can recommend this book, though I will admit to other programming experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typos appeared fixed, 30 Aug 2010
A. Smith - See all my reviews
I just took delivery of this book and it says it's the "Seventh Printing, March 2010".
All the typos mentioned by other reviewers, particularly those reviewed in 2008/2009 appear to be corrected in this edition.

Certainly, the copy I had borrowed from a friend still had some of the mistakes, so am glad to get a fixed version :-)

4 stars only because I'm working through the earlier chapters just now, so can't comment on the entire book. Certainly seems quite a straightforward read, so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book who wants to learn objective-c but not only iphone fuss !, 31 Dec 2009
Md ZAKIR H. SAJIB "sajib" (World) - See all my reviews
I have read other books about iphone development but stuck about the objective-c fundamentals. This book gives the basic and more advanced materials of objective-c and iphone programming. I think to be a class iphone developer, I must have very strong knowledge in objective-c and its framework. I would suggest to study this book rather than studying iphone beginner type books or whatever the books are available. When you will feel you have good command on objective-c then you may go to "The iPhone Developer's Cookbook: Building Applications with the iPhone 3.0 SDK" by Erica Sadun. This is another class book. And please don't forget to study the apple own's iphone and objective-c study materials as well. They are awesome. You should read this book first if you don't have any experience or knowledge in C or even you also should read this book if you have some experience in C or other procedural programming languages. You have to familiar with the syntax of objective-c, most of the time similar to C but in some cases its bit different. this is bit large book so I would suggest not to read only this book, keep it as a reference and study Erica's book if you are tempted to learn how to develop applications for iphone or ipod touch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners and also a good printed reference, 27 Jan 2009
This book give you good head start! You will find this information online at the apple developers and other mac programming sites as well but you will have to find it and take the time reading it online. If you are beginning mac programming buy this book and work you way through it - then grab other knowlege e.g. cocoa eighter online of printed and kick off mac development!

4.0 out of 5 stars :), 22 Sep 2009
T. J. Philp "Toby" (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is excellent. It covers allot of stuff and it explains most of it really really well, is fairly easy to read and enjoyable. It also includes exercise projects at the end of each chapter which really helps understand the concepts more than just trying out the examples. One thing I really like is it has an excellent companion website/forum (which by the way includes the errata for each printing) where you can find allot of useful contributions and if you are having problems understanding people, including the author, go out of their way to help make it clearer. I would give this 5 stars if it weren't for the fact that I think the first 3 or so chapters would be a seriously confusing for a complete beginner, in my opinion this is the best book on Objective-C out and would be well suited to anyone with even the most basic understanding of programming concepts. I'm not sure how well a complete beginner would do but someone dedicated and good at maths would probably still find it excellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much unnecessary formatting for test programe, 20 April 2011
I won't recommend this book for the beginner neither use it as a developer library. Too much unnecessary formatting for the test programe which is only trying to make the output pretty. For example in Chapter 15 Numbers, Strings, and Collections, I want to know more about the collections, such as NSArray and NSMutableArray, but the chapter full of the NSLog for just printing the address card which I don't think necessary. Basically the lack of details for the real contents.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Programming in Objective-C 2.0 (Developer's Library)
Programming in Objective-C 2.0 (Developer's Library) by Stephen G. Kochan (Paperback - 29 Dec 2008)
Used & New from: £0.01