Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 August 2013
If you're thinking of becoming (re-)acquainted with C++ then buy this book and learn ISO2/C++11. Being first in line I got an early printing; two else have apparently appeared since then - see errata on author's website.

Some confidence operating your new/updated compiler is an advantage to get it making sense of the book's examples.
on 17 December 2013
The perfect reference for the C++ Programming Language. It contains everything related to the language, plus all manner of useful tips and what to avoid when using the language and the STL. Generic in its approach, there isn't a single application that wouldn't benefit from a programmer who has read this book cover to cover.
on 17 June 2013
I've got all editions of this book.
I hoped this one would be better but it's not really (apart from the code font).

Like everyone else (probably) I bought this book to learn about C++11.
However, whatever I want to know about, it never seems like the section I look up has sufficient coverage; I never quite seem to get the meat. As a result, it's unsatisfying. The information may well be in here but if it is it's spread thinly and everywhere. I never get the feeling I can fold down a page or insert a sticky for that section I go back to again and again.

It's not a tutorial and it's not a reference so what is it exactly?

It's heavy though. Well done there.
on 12 October 2015
Yet again, Stroustrup is clear, enlightening, and doesn't dumb down for the audience. There should be no doubt that this is not a beginners book, but as always, this is the book that is left out on my desk again and again.
on 22 July 2014
The creator of C++ himself takes us to a fascinating journey into the modern implementations of the language and its inner and deeper secrets. Not to be missing from the arsenal of any serious C++ developer.
on 3 October 2014
the review is only about soft-cover version, which I bought from US (SuperBookDeals)

The book is printed on extremely thin, almost transparent paper, which makes handling and reading the book very unpleasant. After all you buy a hard-copy (not electronic) book in order to use it and turn pages, and with this copy I found it virtually impossible
on 5 March 2015
Bjarnes book good as always. I like how easy it is undertand his writing and the many recommendations he gives in his book. Can recommend to everybody.
on 29 September 2013
A great book written by the C++ inventor himself, some areas are a little scattered but the new C++11 content is a great side benefit
on 31 December 2015
I call this "The Bible"! I am an experienced C++ programmer, and this is such an amazing book. Worth every penny
on 19 October 2013
My good reviews usually seem to be rather "me too!" but this book seems to have received some unwarranted poor reviews.

Bjarne *can* write, he writes entertainingly about what could have been a rather dry technical subject.

This shouldn't need to said but "programming languages are inherently recursive". Parts are defined in terms of other parts so it's difficult to know where to start. One solution is to do an overview of the language followed by detailed exploration of the individual features. So yes you do encounter things early on that aren't initially explained; they get explained later. Follow the references (did I mention it's wonderfully well referenced?) if it bothers you.

So is it a tutorial or a reference? Yes.

The real star is, of course, C++11 the new(-ish) C++ standard. I tend to look at new standards for my favourite programming languages with a rather jaundiced eye (for instance C99 or R6RS Scheme) but much of C++11 is quite delightful. New algorithms, proper enums (what were K&R thinking?!), theads, lambdas etc. etc.

Buy this book.