5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job
Published on 14 Sep 2008 by Mr. S. Crook

2.0 out of 5 stars The wrong approach for me
Having bought and enjoyed the Scott Kelby Lightroom 1 book I thought, variety being the spice of life, that for Lightroom 2 I would buy the Martin Evening book.

Having seen the Evening LR1 book in shops I was surprised to see that the pages in the LR2 book are smaller but to compensate the book is about 50% thicker. For me this has a handling disadvantage but...
Published on 30 Sep 2008 by I. BARRETT

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 14 Sep 2008
Mr. S. Crook (Way out west) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers (Paperback)
After a short preamble describing the whys and wherefores of LR the book quickly down to business with importing photos into LR, then on to catloging, correcting and printing following the usual photographers workflow. There's a short (but useful) section on geotagging photos, which actually has little to do with LR2 (at the moment), but it's becoming an important part of a photographers workflow.

It's an approach that works well and Evenings style is both informative and relaxed, but he never strays too far from the business at hand and isn't 'chatty'. The book is printed on good quality paper so the sample photographs and screen prints are clear and clearly illustrate the processes being described. They are almost all there for a purpose, and not just as eye candy.

It's a book you can both use as a reference and sit and read in a spare moment. If you're new to LR and looking for something to get you up and running, then this will be just the job and will probably still be useful in 6 or 12 months time when you're experienced with the UI. If you're an experienced user of LR v1, then it's probably not as useful as it'll be covering V1 features you're familiar with, but there's a lot of new stuff in LR v2 and I doubt you'll find it better described elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weighty and exhaustive or possibly just very heavy, 3 Mar 2009
STEFAN FLETCHER (Provence) - See all my reviews
This is the third magnum opus from Evening I have purchased, as my Adobe products have expanded and been updated. Each one is a doorstop with this book weighing in at about twice the weight and page count as the LR 1 book.

Definitely *the* reference book which exhaustively and exhaustingly covers everything you might possibly want to know about LR 2. Certainly not a 'how to' book, although tips are highlighted. Non-Mac and non-Canon users may be put off by his focus on these products, although options are provided.

The examples and visuals are clear. However, I find the writing a little tortuous and tiresome at points. Not a book you can read from start to finish despite its 'workflow' based structure, but it is the first reference book I reach for when I need to learn something.

Is is possible to write a how-to photography book in paperback format and perhaps save a few trees?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, extensive guide to a complex program, 1 July 2009
Lightroom might be less complex than Photoshop but it is still full of features. The default online help system is weak and a book like this enables a beginner to make good use of the program quickly. It also gives a more experienced user a valuable reference guide.
The book is not perfect (very few are) there are some typos and slips but very, very few for the size of the book.
It is true (see other reviews) that the illustrations are Mac-biased. This Windows user did not find this a problem. The text (usually) gives the differences between systems. The author states at one point that he runs Lightroom under Windows for some operations because of increased speed.
The organisation according to workflow will suit many users, particularly beginners. It is still possible to dip straight in to, say, the image editing part without reading all the image management part.
There is a lot of good advice to beginners in this book apart from the Lightroom-specific stuff. The author makes a very strong case for "shoot raw if you can" (more and more can) and for thinking through image management and keywording from the start.
The author makes it clear that for some photography (beauty is one) Lightroom is not a complete alternative to layer-capable programs like Photoshop. For those of us who use Photoshop, the material on using the two together smoothly is invaluable.
For beginners and experienced users alike, the material on the Lightroom Print module will make life a lot easier. The Print module is, to some of us, the jewel in Lightroom's crown. It is very flexible and adaptable which means a well-written guide to how to get the best out of it is needed. This book provides it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good manual for Lightroom, 16 Nov 2009
Firstly let me say I am new to Lightroom and fairly new to photo processing. The book was recommended to me by a couple of experienced photographers and the reviews here suggested it would be useful.

I find Evening's style very readable and it comes from a professional photographer. There is a lot in the book (I haven't finished it yet!) however it is very easy to delve into the area you are most interested in as the book is well organised. The modules within Lightroom are well covered. There is also plenty of more general advice about how best to use the scoring/rating available in LR for example.

I would recommend this to anyone wishing to make the most of LR (& it is a very well worked piece of software indeed). There are plenty of tips here that will give you real time savings. I would even suggest you get it before you get too far into Lightroom - it represents good value for money too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and has helped me a lot!, 4 Dec 2009
I have had some 50 years of 35mm film photography behind me and I just bought a Leica M8 professional digital camera. I took a one day course on how to use the camera properly, but soon realised that the challenge is what you do with the images ...a process called post production, that was previously handled by the film processing lab. I wanted a book that could help me once the images were in the memory chip.
Now that I take 500 images in a day as it costs nothing, I clearly needed to select the best shots and typically correct for colour or "white balance". I invariably wanted or needed to apply corrections for exposure, sharpness, brightness, greyscale etc. I used to do this with a very old version of photoshop and that is time consuming, boring and is not part of the workflow methodology that cuts across several Adobe products (Lightroom, Photoshop CS4, Premier Pro CS4 for video editing, illustrator, Design in etc)...so my challenge was to get to grips with Lightroom and figure out how to use this within the suite of Adobe CS4 software packages. The book fulfilled my needs perfectly.
The book allows the reader to quickly understand the principles of workflow using Lightroom 2. It has encouraged me to now shoot using RAW (highest resolution images) rather than JPEG and then apply any colour corrections to a sequence of images with the same characteristics rather than individually. It has held my hand as I have used the software to very quickly select, or rank the best images after scoring each individual shot using a points based ranking system. The book showed me how to export my selected images to JPEG at a high resolution or at a lower resolution for the web.

Within about one hour using the book I was able to review the results of my colour corrected, and selected work as a slideshow within Lightroom or be ready to upload selected images to Photoshop CS4 for more detailed image correction etc. All of this is very well explained in an easy style within the first chapters that I found very helpful to get started.

Separately in my view the later chapters are very detailed explanations of the Lightroom 2 fuctionality covering advanced tasks such as setting up "presets" for your camera model, or detailed image manipulation to adjust for colour, greyscale, sharpness. I see these later chapters as a superb reference tool should the need arise to go beyond normal colour correction or placing selected images into a library.
I would highly recommend this book and feel it is written by someone who is not just part of the Adobe team, with a huge experience of Adobe software past and present. Martin Evening is an accomplished photographer who explains the issues very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just get it, 14 Oct 2009
F. Sims (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
If you have just bought Lightroom 2 and are looking for a book, this is probably the best on the market. But also check out tv.adobe at the adobe web site and watch the tutorials for free.

I upgraded from LR 1 and already had Martin's first LR book.

This book has been considerably expanded on two important elements upgraded in LR.
1st he has brought it in line with the new Raw features. I still think Jeff Schewe's Camera Raw book is slightly better, though it is written for Photoshop, and is worth considering if you are just looking at the raw features.

2nd There have been many changes to the library interface and this edition of Martin's book has been really expanded to cover multiple libraries and more importantly, how to synchronise your desktop and laptop. I have a pc desktop and have just got a macbook so having both sets of commands is useful. The ways of key wording in Lightroom has also been improved, and again Martin's book is useful.

When importing and migrating, there are the occasional message screens which are not covered and this threw me the first time as I was expecting to see the option screens Martin dealt with.

The sections on printing hasn't changed much though the presentation pages have been expanded.

There are a few passages which have carried over from the first edition where there are better ways in the new upgrade.

For me, the improvements in the section on the library made this a worthwhile addition to my library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Digital Workflow, 1 Feb 2009
Rev. N. S. Shutt (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Anyone who thinks working with digital files is easier than film had better think again. Thankfully, what this book does is provide an indepth look at Lightroom 2 but in such a way as to encourage you to think seriously about how you are going to construct a digital workflow that will work for you from the immediate moment post capture right through to basic manipulation, cataloguing, and archiving. It is about learning the disciplines that will save time and money in the future and hopefully avoiding the despair of lost digital files.

5.0 out of 5 stars Workman like and easy to follow, 25 Dec 2008
M. J. Leahy (Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Martin Evening is an author who really gets down to business. His book is easy to read and follow. The only down side is that the font size is a little small but maybe this is nature telling me I need stronger glasses!

This is a very readable book that has a good natural flow. I have just been trying to follow a book on Photoshop by Scott Kelby and found his approach very disappointing and to be avoided by anyone with a humour above that of a five year old.

Martins book is altogether superior and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot To Take In!, 18 Jan 2009
D. Brown (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
I thought I knew how to improve my pics until I read this book. I bought it to learn Lightroom 2, but have learnt so much more. There are many useful tips, tricks and recommended settings to start from. It really has improved my whole workflow, and made a dramitic improvement to my photographs.

It explains everything in a clear and straightforward way. The book is huge though and is a lot to take in, and probably needs more than one reading. I found it best to follow the steps with one of my own pics to see the results on my own work.

I cannot recommend this book enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comprehensive, 31 Oct 2008
Nice to find a book that strips away the jargon and really lets you get into the gut of the program. Highly recommended

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›