on 13 June 2007
Scott Kelby's immensely practical books on image-editing software are a Godsend to end-users struggling to get to grips with what is often very complex software, and this is no exception. As a professional photographer, Scott Kelby understands exactly what people need to know in order to get the results they want. You won't find detailed descriptions of every single one of Lightroom's features in this book; instead, what you get is a step-by-step guide to how to make the software work for you in a simplified, very practical way. He includes all kinds of tips and hints that are seldom mentioned in other books; his books are classic examples of showing rather than just telling. In other words, he helps you to use the software in the way it was intended: as a tool, rather than something that gets you bogged down with the sheer number and diversity of its features. One especially useful part of the book (because this is where so many people get stuck) is the section on workflow, which takes you through a complete process, from taking the photos (in the first example, covering a wedding) right through to the final presentation. The information about colour management is also very good; however, for European readers this needs a little clarification. In the book Scott talks about downloading the necessary ICC profiles for your printer/paper combination. I use the same printer as he does (well, one of the printers he uses, anyway - the Epson R2400) and I couldn't find any of the necessary profiles on Epson's UK site. In order to download them you need to go to the US site and look under drivers/profiles for your particular printer.

Scott's joky style is not to everyone's taste; some people are irritated by his little asides and digressions. However, I find them amusing; they help to give the reader the sensation that the author is addressing them directly, rather than via the impersonal medium of print. Having recently acquired Lightroom, I've found Scott's book so helpful that I can't wait for his Photoshop CS3 book to come out in a few weeks' time...thoroughly recommended.
on 8 November 2008
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
Excellent book that I have learned more from in a week than I did from Rob Sheppard's Lightroom 1 book in several months. I know that some people find Scott's casual style a bit irritating, but it is not at all intrusive in this book. In fact I think it helps me to remember things. Screen shots linked directly to the "stepped" approach, provide both a readable book and a reference work. The practical "real life" approach suits me and I would think many other photographers - Thoroughly recommended!
on 28 June 2007
As long as you can take Scott's humour then you'll love this book - I like lightroom as I shoot raw and also at odd times use photoshop for touching up. I had got myself around using lightroom a fair bit before getting this book but now I can really maximize the potential and I don't go into photoshop anywhere near as much - there are some many ways to achieve the same end goal and he show you them all so you choose the style best suited to yourself. Love lightroom, well love it allot more now!
on 2 October 2008
With the beta release of Lightroom 2, I decided to see what all the fuss was about and try it. Once Adobe released it to manufacturing, I was happy to switch my workflow from CaptureOne + Adobe Bridge + Photoshop to Lightroom 2 + Photoshop. I was up-and-running very quickly, but I knew I was just scratching the surface. Obviously, there's a lot in Lightroom 2 and I wasn't exploiting very much of it.
I was rather pleased, then, to see that Scott Kelby was releasing this new volume and pre-ordering it was a no-brainer. I particularly like Scott's informal, conversational style of writing. I expect some may find it irritating, but for me, it makes his books more pleasant to read. Consequently, it makes it easier to retain the knowledge that he imparts.
I'm reading this one from cover-to-cover, as Scott recommends, and it's certainly working. Within the first few pages, I found useful ways to incorporate Lightroom facilities that I simply hadn't encountered. As I continue to work through, there's more and more that is helping improve my workflow considerably.
I sometimes wonder if Scott's books are a little lightweight. They certainly don't tax your brain too much. I guess that's because most of the books I read tend to be detailed technical references where there's a vast amount of information to impart in a limited space. The way Scott writes, it seems too easy. But then, that's the point, isn't it? When you're working with hundreds or even thousands of photographs at a time, it really does need to be easy. So, thumbs up to Mr Kelby for helping me find new ways to improve the efficiency of my workflow, yet again.
on 23 March 2008
I am a great fan of Scott Kelly's books and I have had many of them over the years, but this book is quite honestly now a waste of money. I purchased it at the same time as Lightroom itself during February 2008 and hoped that it would help me to understand Lightroom. But this book covers Lightroom 1.0 and though the publisher has provided updates for Lightroom 1.1 we are now on Lightroom 1.3 and soon to be Lightroom 1.4.1. Since Lightroom 1.0 there have been vast changes to this software making this book very different to what we have today. I'm not blaming Scott Kelly for this at all, it is just that things have moved along so swiftly since Lightroom's initial release in 2007. So if you are getting involved with Lightroom don't waste your money on this book because you will be very disappointed.
on 11 December 2008
This book falls into the `essentials' category for Lightroom users. It is packed with good advice and tips which are time-saving and which encourage good practice in processing digital photographs. Kelby is quite open about sharing the techniques which he has evolved, probably after much trial and error, thus making life easier for all of us. The sections on working in tandem with Photoshop and on black & white conversion are particularly illuminating. The whole text is enhanced by Kelby's amusing style.
One word of caution: this book can be quite baffling for absolute beginners to Lightroom, as the initial chapter is perhaps not the best introduction to the subject. For example, how many people will ever use Lightroom with the camera tethered to the computer? Yet Kelby addresses this in the first chapter. I would suggest that beginners should first work their way through Lightroom 2 for Dummies and then progress to Kelby's book.
Kelby suggests that the book should be read sequentially, from beginning to end. I would suggest that it should be used as a reference book for the best solution for specific techniques.
on 7 March 2008
As a straightforward instruction book, it goes through all of the steps in logical order - 1, 2, 3, ... etc. However, comparatively little explanation of of "Why?" so that the book is presented in a rather over-mechanical way, to my mind.
That said, it is very useful but what makes it difficult to take is Scott Kelby's bluff, hale and hearty manner. Frankly he gets in the way of this book. I have a sense that Scott feels that you the reader wants to get to know him. I certainly don't. I paid money to get to know Lightroom. If it was at a party, I would pretend to notice someone I knew elsewhere and politely walk away. The only solution here is to look for a different book.
I was also very surprised and disappointed to find that the book is publish on very poor quality paper - very much the same stuff that is used for weekly women's magazines. This is fine for a magazine but not for a book which one would expect to use regularly as a reference guide. I really don't expect that this book is capable of taking the wear and tear.
In conclusion, I would suggest finding a book by a different author and from a publisher who is interested in a better quality product.
on 8 October 2008
Mr. Kelby always does a good job with all his books, but this is his best yet.Written in a clear, and concise manner, and the screen captures this time are readable without the aid of a magnifying glass. The book follows a good workflow throughout, and proves what a comprehensive programme Lightroom is. This is not evident at first or even second glance, and yet Mr. Kelby makes it all appear so easy, which few writers manage to attain with so called technical books, this is his big secret.
The book is also a valuable reference.
on 29 July 2009
This is a very good book but but you MUST buy it before you buy lightroom. Chapter one can save you hours of grief if you read it before you start using Lightroom! How you set up your library(s) is very important and the suggestions and strategies will save much swearing (and time) later!

Note the introduction to each chapter is an "off the wall" counter point and a muse on almost anything but the the subject at hand... if you watch the associated on line video(s) for the book it explain that this is the comfort/cofffe/smoke break he has on his courses. There are several videos and example pictures on his web site (password is in the book) that help bring the book alive

Also I agree with the author you should read this book in chapter order from end to end I would also suggest with a couple of memory cards of pictures and try out the ideas. Then use Lightroom on your main collection....

The only other comment is the chatty style is the same as his video style go to the web site and see what his videos are like. if you like the style buy the book (then lightroom) otherwise the style will drive you nuts. I like it.

If you already have lightroom the book is still very good though you may want to re-rig your entire library after reading it :( You can also dip into it chapter by chapter after you have read it from end to end and it works but don't do it the other way around.
on 5 August 2009
I'm not going to comment on Scott's notorious sense of humor.

If you don't like it don't bother to read the introductions to each chapter.

This book is the reason why I dumped Apple Aperture and bought Lightroom 2. Simply a superb guide to a really great piece of software.

I find that I am using CS3 a lot less frequently as most of the common photo problems can be sorted from within Lightroom speeding my workflow on top of a brilliant and professional piece of organizational software.

If you are a pro or a serious hobby photographer using a Mac then forget Aperture, buy Lightroom and this book and problems sorted!