5.0 out of 5 stars Movie Making Made Easy
Published on 18 Mar. 2008 by allan

3.0 out of 5 stars Final Cut Express 4 by Diana Weynand
This is probably a great book if you have time to run through the exercises, but it does not work as a reference guide.
Published on 21 May 2008 by The Slemster

5.0 out of 5 stars Movie Making Made Easy, 18 Mar. 2008
allan (Hartlepool,) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4 (Paperback)
If like me, you are new to movie making, this book must be top of your list. It takes you step by step from importing your movie into Final Cut Express 4 right through to the finished product including adding your own sound. The beauty of the book is that the included CD contains movie clips, sequences and sound tracks which you will use throughout the lessons. This has to be the ultimate in hands on training, everything is so well explained!
At the end of each chapter there is "Lessons Review" by way of questions and answers plus a list of Keyboard Shortcuts. I have copied these and find them a very useful reference set.
To detail everything in the book would mean writing another book. Suffice to say it is without doubt the best AppleTraining Series Book I have read so far. As an absolute beginner before I read this book I can now put together a good movie.
Buy it! I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Introduction to FCE4, 21 Jun. 2008
Choosy (Wolverhampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4 (Paperback)
This training guide which includes a DVD with the material used in the lessons is generally well written. For anyone completely new to Apple and/or video editing in Final Cut Express 4, it is essential as an introduction, covering all the non linear editing basics of this application.

A word of warning, however - this book is not a manual and cannot be readily used for reference. Some of the lessons take about 90 minutes to complete. In this format, it would have been better to split the longer lessons into two. On the other hand, the lesson on capturing video is somewhat brief relative to other lessons, and more explanation on capture settings and preferences might have been useful. This said, the level of detail on each topic is adequate, and for basic training, the book is indispensable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Training, 31 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4 (Paperback)
I have been using this book to reinforce the lessons I have been taking via Apples One to One training. The book is clearly laid out, and the sample media and project files are execllent for getting used to the various editing options. I agree that it is not great as a reference. The extra lessons in PDF format on the DVD cover the more advanced editing features of Final Cut Express. All in all a great resource for anyone wanting to do more adavnced editing than iMovie allows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect manual for the novice video editor, 19 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4 (Paperback)
As somebody new to video editing not just Final Cut Express 4 I have found this the perfect introduction manual to get you started and give you an overview of the video editing process. I found it useful to work my way through the manual chapter by chapter. Initially I found it a little disconcerting that you do not get to connect and download your own video footage until you have learnt all the basics of editing and gained familiarity with the software configuration. On hindsight I realise that this make a lot of sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Methodical, complete, concise. A great book for beginners and advancing editors alike., 5 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4 (Paperback)
Apples pro guide for Final Cut Express takes what seems at first to be a daunting video editing package and splits it down to a methodical set of exercises backed up with the simple but effective media files on the DVD. There is no better way to learn than by doing, this book makes this process all to easy. You see the results of your actions as the book guides you though exercises. There are also annexes on the DVD for advanced techniques using FCE and also a comprehensive introduction guide for Livetype 2. Highly recommended book in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Cut Express 4 Movie Making for Everyone by Diana Weyland, 22 Feb. 2010
John Watson (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4: Movie Making for Everyone

This book in the Apple Pro Training Series is excellent. Each step in describing each aspect of Final Cut Express 4 is detailed and very clearly expressed and illustrated. It is a pleasure learning about the software and I have no doubt that, when I have finished studying the book, I shall be quite competent at video editing. I very strongly recommend the book to anyone interested in getting a thorough training in using Final Cut Express 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it for me, 24 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4 (Paperback)
Having had Final Cut Express on my computer for over a year, and struggling to understand how to use it, I decided to invest in this training manual. The initial copy I bought had a faulty DVD, and I was extremely impressed with the speedy replacement from Amazon. I am now about 7 lessons in on the training, and I find it really helpful. I am not keen on the film clips used, but the point is they de-mystify this programme for someone like me who needs to be instructed as to how to do it!
A really good worthwhile buy for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Final Cut Express 4 by Diana Weynand, 21 May 2008
The Slemster (Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the rest, 9 Jan. 2010
B. Taylor "Bee" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4 (Paperback)
From zero to Hero in a week. I hate manuals...until now. This course was fast and FUN. If you want to learn how to edit - geddit. B

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book!, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4 (Paperback)
We had just bought final cut express for our mac, and needed a how to guide to be able to get started. it is great for looking up information. but is quite technical, so is no good for a "read cover to cover" moment to get the gist of how the software works.

Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4
Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Express 4 by Diana Weynand (Paperback - 11 Dec. 2007)