5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the cover, 16 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The Non-Designer's Design and Type Book (Deluxe Edition): Design and Typographic Principles for the Visual Novice (Paperback)
Before reading this I had written myself off as having no visual talent whatever. My webistes and flyers showed willing, but did not show "able". My curiosity was piqued by how people choose (and design) typefaces and I wound up buying this title.

It really has altered my perception of the page, and has given me some vocabulary to put into words what weakens a page when I look at it. Unfortunately I now get annoyed by a badly-aligned page in the same way as I used to get annoyed by a badly-placed apostrophe! But on the positive side, I'm much more able to create a page that conveys professionality and dignity.

The style is very readable, almost casual, and the information is very clearly organised. The inclusion of exercises really helped me nurture my critical eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. My diagrams don't make me cringe anymore., 28 May 2013
With four easy-to-remember rules, and copious examples of good designs -- and, just as importantly, bad ones -- the author shows how to improve any document. After reading this, I was able to explain exactly why designs by amateurs looked so... amateurish. I'll never be a designer, but I'm now actually happy with what I produce day-to-day.

This is literally two books bound together -- for me the first half (design) is the killer, the second (typography) is a lovely bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for self publishers, 14 Jan. 2013
I bought this book to help me set out a book for print. It was clear, easy to understand and helped demystify the issues of font and leading. The illustrations are particularly helpful as they show the impact you can gain with quite small changes in layout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, inspiring, 25 Sept. 2014
Fun, inspiring, clear and invaluable for anyone lacking in a design education who is, nonetheless, trying to design just about anything. Teaches clear principles that are effective, memorable and easy to put into action. My copy was great value, but I did buy a fairly cheap used copy. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for non-designers, 24 Feb. 2012
A good book. Lots of tips. Written in a very accessible style. It does what it says on the cover.